Sub ohm coils in a Cyclone

Status
Not open for further replies.

spada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Bensalem pa.
I just got some 26 gauge kanthal and built some 2mm coils for my two Cyclones. One came in at .78 and the other at .58. I am using the standard caps with air holes just slightly enlarged still smaller then 1/16. Does anybody else like sub ohm coils in a Cyclone with a standard cap? The vape seems nice and warm to me,I had been using 28 gauge wire and wrapping a micro coil about 1.15 and I can really taste the difference . Thanks, Dave

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
2015-07-31 21.29.26.jpg
Made a single twisted coil tonight.. no idea of the wire gauge. Might be 28.

Anyways came out to .60. 6 wraps around a 2.5mm bar on rhe coilmaster and mounted it a different way off to the side so there room for the large coil.

Using a new double air hole with a larger hole and another hole above that so air passes above and below the coil.

Seems pretty awesome and I can't remove it as I'd like to try a smaller 30 gauge twist.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Does anybody else like sub ohm coils in a Cyclone with a standard cap?
Yep, that's been one of my go-to setups for well over a year. Not deep sub-ohm, but 0.65-0.85. Using a 2mm mandrel, 7-8 wraps of 26 gauge, 2x28 or 3x30. Air-hole reamed a bit, but still under 1/16". Really excellent flavor.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I haven't been using my two 2013 Cyclones or the Woodvil's they reside on much since I got all the Nuppin's and new Mech Woodvil's. But they ran various sub ohm builds when I did (27 to 30 ga mono, twisted and parallel coils; various form sizes; 3mmRxW & KGD wicks). Both Cyclones were bought used off the classifieds, and both already had their air intakes drilled out larger when I got them, one @ 5/64" and the other @ 7/64". So lots of air from both of these that worked very well for my long lung hits and made them both great flavor & vapor machines. I actually preferred the 7/64" intake for the massive flavor rich vapor I got from it, but some of that biased maybe because I also ran a favored ADV at the time in that one (GVC) with a 28ga/3mmRxW build that gave the best flavor from that joose I had ever had.
I really need to take the time to revisit these two Reos and Cyclones that were my favorite Reo combos at the time...

2wood.jpg

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I don't have an RM2, I went for a Cyclone as my first Reo topper - and one reason was the availability of an AFC. That may be one of the biggest differences...
You can find them in the classifieds now and then, or possibly from Catfish Atty Mods if has any more, or when they have them MountainOakVapors or IndyVaporShop.

Reactions: vlodato

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Where does one purchase the Cyclone and how does it compare to RM2, the only RBA that I have used?? Thanks for help.

Afc on the afc version cyclone :) and all stainless steel and you don't have to worry about the brass threads on the rm2 wearing away and the air hole not lining up where it should.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
For my money, the afc cap version of the cyclone is a step down from the non-afc version. Sure, you can get more air and 2 holes for dual coils, but it's enlarged chamber takes it off it's game for flavour. The non-afc version is stellar in that regard.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yeah the cyclone cap is real thin ss so just be careful to go slow as it takes nothing to drill and easy to drill it too much and end up with a much larger hole..

Grab a precision hand drill and try manually with small bits working your way up of needed.

It should fit flush on the new 510s but if there's a gap it would be too hard to tape the center post on the cyclone up on it enough to get it there.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I only run single coils between 1.1 and 1.3 ohms, so you would recommend the non afc version? Thanks.

I would. Now, if it turns out to be too tight a draw for your liking, you have two options: drill the hole (per the advice above) or get an afc cap. It's a very nice little atty.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For my money, the afc cap version of the cyclone is a step down from the non-afc version. Sure, you can get more air and 2 holes for dual coils, but it's enlarged chamber takes it off it's game for flavour. The non-afc version is stellar in that regard.
This. I don't care for the AFC cap at all.

I only run single coils between 1.1 and 1.3 ohms, so you would recommend the non afc version? Thanks.
Definitely.

Yeah the cyclone cap is real thin ss so just be careful to go slow as it takes nothing to drill and easy to drill it too much and end up with a much larger hole..

Grab a precision hand drill and try manually with small bits working your way up of needed.
If all you have are fractional bits, don't drill all the way through! Use a bit to counter-sink the hole w/o actually making it any bigger at the bottom. Then start reaming; for this I use the awl/reamer on a Swiss Army knife. You can always make the hole bigger, but making it smaller again is difficult!

Reactions: Papa_Lazarou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread