Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It has to be set at 30w, because it gives a 30w blast the first time you hit the fire button, regardless of what mode it's in -- either TC mode, or vw mode. Which might not be a big deal to high-watt vapers, but it's more than 3 times more wattage than I normally use -- 9w. With the tight draw in these Achilles, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

I don't understand the bolded part above Andria. Why do you need a 30W blast if you vape at 9W?

Reactions: TrollDragon

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I don't understand the bolded part above Andria. Why do you need a 30W blast if you vape at 9W?
She is talking about how it does a quick test fire at 30 watts on a new coil in VW mode. With the wrong coil, this could burn your wick....
But, I've tested the mod with an aspire nautilus...... That first fire of 30 watts IS too much, but it is so short it didn't burn my wicks or fry out the coil.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, anytime you have two very different resistors in parallel, the total resistance will always be very close to the smallest resistance due to the mathematical relationship. Try it without the vaping context, and look at each step, and you'll see why (choose a small and large number).

Boden, what formula takes into account tcr? Either I'm brain dead tonight or I can't think of it. I don't see an example in your post.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
She is talking about how it does a quick test fire at 30 watts on a new coil in VW mode. With the wrong coil, this could burn your wick....
But, I've tested the mod with an aspire nautilus...... That first fire of 30 watts IS too much, but it is so short it didn't burn my wicks or fry out the coil.

I thought we were talking about TC mode USMCotaku :)

I think you're saying the mod in VW mode will test fire at 30 watts no matter what watts you set. That doesn't make any sense to me. There's no reason I can think of for it to do that. I can kinda, sorta see it in TC mode, but either way I would think they would have kept the time short enough to allow a coil set at the lowest power available to be OK, as it was for your Nautilus. You can put a lot of power into a coil for say 0.1 seconds and not have any problems.

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I thought we were talking about TC mode USMCotaku :)

I think you're saying the mod in VW mode will test fire at 30 watts no matter what watts you set. That doesn't make any sense to me. There's no reason I can think of for it to do that. I can kinda, sorta see it in TC mode, but either way I would think they would have kept the time short enough to allow a coil set at the lowest power available to be OK, as it was for your Nautilus. You can put a lot of power into a coil for say 0.1 seconds and not have any problems.
It does so, for a very short burst, to check for tc capabilities of the wire..... It's not long enough to damage the coil, but you don't want to be vaping it at the time if you are using a tootle puffer build :p
If using sub ohm coils and the like, ya don't even notice it :p

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It does so, for a very short burst, to check for tc capabilities of the wire..... It's not long enough to damage the coil, but you don't want to be vaping it at the time if you are using a tootle puffer build :p
If using sub ohm coils and the like, ya don't even notice it :p

You're absolutely right :thumb:. I just Googled and found this from PBusardo on it. It does it for around 0.6 seconds and that's not good if you're running a 9 watt set up. Hopefully they've fixed it by now.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
You're absolutely right :thumb:. I just Googled and found this from PBusardo on it. It does it for around 0.6 seconds and that's not good if you're running a 9 watt set up. Hopefully they've fixed it by now.
As I said, it's there, but it didn't fry out my nauti coils... So to me its a minor issue. I tell people who rebuild to just dry fire their coil before wicking.... It will get that burst out of the way, then wick after :p

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Boden, what formula takes into account tcr? Either I'm brain dead tonight or I can't think of it. I don't see an example in your post.

I was about to go to bed and didn't feel like figuring it out for this complex build. I did realize that the length of the low resistance wire should be calculated using the wires resistance at maximum temperature wanted.

I need coffee.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

That's a quirk of the Evic apparently, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense if you have it in vw mode. I dunno if other TC mods do that.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Just ignore the math, build one the same way you did the last twisted wire... You will end up in the same ball park. It's worth a shot before giving up on the evic

I've got someone interested in buying it... so I don't really see much point in messing it up again, since I already got it nice and cleaned up.

It's possible I might try out TC again later, when I can afford a different mod -- still love the looks of those Sx mini M's, but $200 is about 4 times more than I want to or will spend on a mod. I'm sure when they come out with some newfangled thing, the prices on those will drop.

Andria

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
That's a quirk of the Evic apparently, which doesn't make a damn bit of sense if you have it in vw mode. I dunno if other TC mods do that.

Andria
Evolv DNA 40 only does preheat in TC mod.
It boosts for 1 second or until the coil is 100 degrees under the set limit.
It is seamless, I like it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
DNA40 won't work for Andria until they add adjustable tcr or a Ti mode, she is sensitive to nickel :p

Yep, it turns my skin black, I'd hate to imagine what vaping off of it would do to my asthmatic lungs. :D

The Evic is sold and shipped, so that's that for my initial TC experiment. I do like the looks of those Sx mini M's, so if the prices come down substantially at some point, I very well may get one of those. But, once the money xfers from my paypal to my bank acct, I'm going to order one of those Phiniac CF4s, I really like those a lot. Black with stardust clear-cloat, and my name... a much nicer and more personal reward for my year smoke-free! :thumb:

Andria

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
OK, ModWompers... I celebrated my one year vaperversary (no smokaverary) yesterday without any fanfare. I actually forgot about it until I saw my sig line just before midnight :)

So I ordered an eVic-VT and a couple spools of Ti wire today to celebrate. I was actually thinking about one of those SX Mini M's but in the end I wasn't real sure exactly what I was getting for my extra $150.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
The SX Mini is a great mod Andria. They were on sale at about 139 a few weeks ago, maybe 4th of July sale or something. I like it because it's upgradable too. You'd probably save in the long run instead of tryin out different cheaper mods. I'm not crazy about my Evic. It's great for the money. I haven't had any problem with ti or ni or kanthal builds. But I like the SX far better than it or the VaporShark rDNA40. It vapes in TC much better to me. I think it's because it's pwm in TC. The one year warranty is good to have too.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab
OK, ModWompers... I celebrated my one year vaperversary (no smokaverary) yesterday without any fanfare. I actually forgot about it until I saw my sig line just before midnight :)

So I ordered an eVic-VT and a couple spools of Ti wire today to celebrate. I was actually thinking about one of those SX Mini M's but in the end I wasn't real sure exactly what I was getting for my extra $150.
:thumbs:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

congratulations6.gif

:thumbs:
Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The SX Mini is a great mod Andria. They were on sale at about 139 a few weeks ago, maybe 4th of July sale or something. I like it because it's upgradable too. You'd probably save in the long run instead of tryin out different cheaper mods. I'm not crazy about my Evic. It's great for the money. I haven't had any problem with ti or ni or kanthal builds. But I like the SX far better than it or the VaporShark rDNA40. It vapes in TC much better to me. I think it's because it's pwm in TC. The one year warranty is good to have too.

Maybe for my *2 yr* no-smoke-a-versary. :D In a year, the prices on those should have dropped substantially. I love hi-tech. :D If you just wait, you can get some great prices on slightly-older tech -- like my i5 laptop with 16gb ram, that cost less than the P4 desktop+monitor I bought in 2006. :D

They really are great looking mods; I've been scoping them out for a while, but currently they're far outside my budget. I'm not averse to waiting. :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread