Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Steve, Rob has never said that. Really at this point in time is there a testing procedure which has been set as being exact?

The testing method is completely irrelevant in this case. five pawns liquids have many times the NIOSH safe limits, regardless of which method you use to test. five pawns argues with NIOSH (really guys?), and in their "opinion", feels the high levels of AP are perfectly safe. I'd love to know why five pawns has publicly stated multiple times they believe the levels of AP in their liquids are safe. Please do enlighten us Rob/Gavin - hit us with your best science.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Most of us that vape are x smoker's that smoked up to 2 packs a day for 20+ years.

I feel your pain, and respectfully bring up a point to consider. We know that many smoking-related diagnosis of COPD were misdiagnosed due to DA/AP. Do you know what levels of DA/AP were in cigarette smoke? Consider that some of Five Pawns liquids have much higher levels of DA/AP than cigarettes. Consider the possibility that smoking might actually be healthier than vaping Five Pawns liquids, based on the disease (BO) both produce. Look back at my link to the NIOSH seminar, and you might consider the seriousness of this issue - not just with Five Pawns, but any e-liquid manufacturer.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Do you have some links to facts that will back that up?

Not handy, but you have google and youtube. I've been very much keeping up with these topics, and watched many hours of video from scientists and experts. If my memory serves, the 4-hour NIOSH video I linked to earlier in this thread is one place I heard that particular fact.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The question to me is why this particular customer service rep made such claims ( no DA/AP ). Was he/she directed by upper management, was it implied by management, or did he/she take it upon himself to respond in this manner and if so why. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

It kinda makes sense to me. The issue (of diketones) is rather convoluted. People think they want diketone free liquid. Think they will be safer and that the information is paramount to their current purchases. 5P had a PC version of handling this, which is something I've seen in the industry, from other vendors, in how they worded things. It implies none, but isn't really a clear assertion, much less, data to back up the implication. It is plausible to me that management conveyed to CS reps that the implication ought to be emphasized, and about equally plausible that a CS rep would infer that what management had conveyed was something more than what was actual. As someone whose worked in CS, I could see a rep taking liberties to increase sales, with idea that more sales makes for better chance to get ahead.

Leaving that aside, i don't disagree with the rest of your analysis ( with the exception of testing your own liquid, just not realistic ).

It is realistic. If it is truly unrealistic, then vapers are doomed (to whatever they place trust in, and nothing else).

But i do agree that the whole DA/AP issue has been the elephant in the room that for the longest time most vendors did not want to acknowledge. There is no doubt that consumers are demanding these compounds ( whether knowingly or more likely unknowingly ). Just take a quick look at the Vaporshark test results and you will see the liquids with the high AP numbers are often the most popular liquid in that Vendors line.

I don't think that consumers are demanding the compounds, but pretty sure you get that. Vapers are fairly notorious for bragging about wide array of flavors that come with our choice of nicotine delivery. Smokey Joe notes in the annual polls he does that this is (I think by far and away) the #1 cited item that draws people to vaping. People want great tasting eLiquids and have become very accustomed to that in the vaping community. I still think the substitute for DA/AP (or lack thereof) fits in well with the idea of "we don't have long term studies to determine if this is safe for human consumption." It is possible that the alternative route is more dangerous. I would say unlikely, but still possible. Also possible that someone comes up with great alternative, gets ringing endorsements from a bunch of 'experts' and that becomes the new compound of choice, making for wonderful flavors, only to realize years down the road, "whoops, this is actually worse for you than DA/AP. Sorry bout that."

Five Pawns are not evil and they haven't done anything other vendors haven't ( besides the emails ). Five Pawns knew there was AP in their juice and they also knew there was AP in their competitors' juice. It's like the Tour de France and all the cyclists on steroids. Most of them did it and they all knew it. 5P just made some unwise moves imo.

It really is beyond me that in an unregulated industry when it is not illegal and not against the rules ( unlike steroids ) why have vendors just not come out and admit these compounds are present and make their case for them ( As Five Pawns were forced to do ).

I think there are a few reasons for not coming out and admitting.
A - Cause like some consumers are just going to trust without verifying themselves, vendors may be trusting flavor manufacturers, without testing
B - Cause of the ANTZ factor. How this would be beyond any vaper's scope of understanding is beyond me.
C - Cause of the consumer fickleness around this issue. Some want general info. Some want specifics. Some don't care. In most other industries what suffices is, "this product may contain some of compound X." There are those amongst us who would say, "that's all I ever wanted!" While there are others that would be like, "not nearly enough info." Or others, like myself, that care if it is present, but feel the concerns are inflated. So, release of info is tricky to appease everyone.
D - Cause science is wishy washy on this whole ordeal, which is prevalent to this particular case as specifics are in dispute. So, if you combine the B factor with this one, then it is plausible ANTZ could have studies showing things that we'd all be questioning methodology and what have you. Then add in the C factor, and who other than likes of FDA are going to get everyone to be on exact same page. Yet, even with FDA involved, you'd likely have industry with one version of what is most fair for general consumer and ANTZ version of what absolutely must be disclosed or shouldn't be allowed on the market.

There may be some vendors who have moved or are moving toward DA/AP free lines for ethical reasons but more importantly it's a long term business strategy. They may be foregoing some short term profits, but they are gambling that they will make up for it in the future. Does any one seriously think Halo and Johnson Creek for example were not able to make a delicious vanilla custard if they chose to do so ?

I voice a wager repeatedly that says things will not be safer under FDA, and there are a few parts to this that make me confident as to how I would win, rather easily, such a wager. Because of the ANTZ factor and because of consumer fickleness, which is visibly influenced by the ANTZ factor, there is in essence no way around this going forward. There will ALWAYS be things (chemicals) to loft soft balls into the public domain of FUD, in which consumers who are not going to do own testing will be ripe for notions of betrayal and seemingly ill will from the industry. At same time, ANTZ factor and zealous regulators will plausibly, if not likely, produce an underground market where certain things will not matter to those who enjoy vaping for reasons where healthiness of product is not paramount. For those that it is, I really see no way in which that position will "win." As I said before, that position is doomed if it is truly unrealistic for consumers to do their own testing.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The testing method is completely irrelevant in this case. Five Pawns liquids have many times the NIOSH safe limits, regardless of which method you use to test. Five Pawns argues with NIOSH (really guys?), and in their "opinion", feels the high levels of AP are perfectly safe.

Dr. F. argued with NIOSH as NIOSH has said their safe limits have zero to do with vaping. Dr. F. infers it has a direct correlation to vaping.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I feel your pain, and respectfully bring up a point to consider. We know that many smoking-related diagnosis of COPD were misdiagnosed due to DA/AP.

Care to back that up?

Do you know what levels of DA/AP were in cigarette smoke? Consider that some of Five Pawns liquids have much higher levels of DA/AP than cigarettes. Consider the possibility that smoking might actually be healthier than vaping Five Pawns liquids, based on the disease (BO) both produce. Look back at my link to the NIOSH seminar, and you might consider the seriousness of this issue - not just with Five Pawns, but any e-liquid manufacturer.

And consider the anecdotal evidence along with years that vaping has been around to realize that if this were a legitimate issue with vapers, we'd have something more than "well it could happen!"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
For people that smoked rat poision in their cigs for a long time you sure are a finicky bunch...:p
For many of us who smoked for decades and and had pretty much given up on quitting, the switch to vaping was something of an epiphany. It gave us the ability to keep inhaling the nic we need to remain sane without all the poisons in the smoke.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
For many of us who smoked for decades and and had pretty much given up on quitting, the switch to vaping was something of an epiphany. It gave us the ability to keep inhaling the nic we need to remain sane without all the poisons in the smoke.

I'm right there with you. I smoked for almost 50 years. Unless someone is mixing poisons in the juice, I'm not too concerned. I figure after 50 years of smoking the damage was already done.

Since I've been vaping for over 3 years now, if I was really that concerned about what could be in eliquid, I would just quit vaping. I smoked because I had to, but I vape because I want to.

I always heard that ex smokers were the worst. After seeing some of the BS posted in this thread I would have to agree.

Bitter Jeweler

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Since I've been vaping for over 3 years now, if I was really that concerned about what could be in eliquid, I would just quit vaping. I smoked because I had to, but I vape because I want to.

This.

I feel all these people concerned about what they take into their lungs, should be vaping unflavored juice, or not vaping at all. THAT'S risk reduction. Where are the studies that prove inhaling artifial strawberry flavoring, or sucralose into your lungs is completely safe, and without risk?

I'd like to believe vaping is less harmful than smoking. I mean, I do believe it is. BUT I believe there is still risk, and danger doing so.

Having said that, I do think everyone should know what is in their juice, including the type of sweetener, and other chemicals besides diketones. Only then can anyone make informed decisions.

GoBlue88

Jul 10, 2015
Im about to say something that some my not like and im puting up my armor but in all honesty i dont give a crap how you feel....Im a lil disappointed actually disgusted at all the bs thats going on with ejuice vendors and manufacturers. I dont like the way the manufacturers are being treated. all the hypocrites that are doing it can go kick rocks for all that is worth.
Im going to make it simple for all that can see through the bull thats going on. Most of us that vape are x smoker's that smoked up to 2 packs a day for 20+ years. I cant remember the last time anyone that sold or bought cigarettes asked thier local grocery store or the cigarette manufacturers for a list of what their Marlboro's or Newport's contained. You went, you bought it and you smoked it without a care in the world. plesse spare people just like me the bs. I will continue to vape five pawns and thank them and all ejuice manufacturers for helping me stay off cigs for 3 + years with quality ejuice that changed the standard of how ejuice is made...if i could curse right now you would definitely get it for having no respect for the pioneers. instead you sit here bashing them worst then the FDA...
More five pawns!

You're entitled to your opinion no body armor needed :)

I didn't vape to quit smoking, I wasn't a smoker when I started vaping.

Many manufacturers did the good 5P did without being deceptive/lying/litigious. They don't get a pass on those issues for vaping as a whole being a net positive.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

Be a great time for you to go on the patch or cut your nicotine down to zero. You are no longer addicted to the other chemicals in cigarettes.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
You're entitled to your opinion no body armor needed :)

I didn't vape to quit smoking, I wasn't a smoker when I started vaping.

Many manufacturers did the good 5P did without being deceptive/lying/litigious. They don't get a pass on those issues for vaping as a whole being a net positive.

I would have to disagree. A few manufacturers, but not many. There aren't that many that are posting testing results. And after reading in this thread, without any kind of testing standard testing results seem to be pretty worthless.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I understand that the forum rules prevent us from entering into conversation here, but I hope the moderators won't object to me inviting anyone that has concerns about any of our motives, practices, policies or procedures to ask us directly either by email or on our sub-forum here on ECF where we actually have permission to respond.

If moderator could remove our banner from this post it would be appreciated, lest we get accused of attempting to advertise here.

However you decided to post anyway. Using your cloud9 logo and ending your post with a cloud 9 including a link. The moderators should allow you to violate the rule. It's apparent you wish to hijack this thread.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I, too, post with no small measure of trepidation. I celebrated my first year smoke free, yesterday. Five Pawns was instrumental in that accomplishment; I vaped Five Pawns when I first quit smoking. Two of their juices remain in my rotation, albeit infrequently. While I am delighted that Five Pawns helped me to quit, I am unhappy to learn that I apparently misunderstood their language surrounding the absence of AP in their juice. I will take ultimate responsibility for that; I have spent much of my career parsing words and know how dangerous assumptions can be.

Having said that, I am puzzled by the continuing conversation regarding what Five Pawns did or didn't do and their motivation for having done so. Questions have been raised; Rob and Gavin have answered those questions to the extent that they are willing or able to do so. Posters liked the answers or did not - but I suspect few folks changed their perception of Five Pawns as a result of the dialog. Invectives are unlikely to alter this equation - and I suspect that additional information also will not move the dial. To LouisLeBeau's earlier point, we now know what is in Five Pawns juice and can choose to vape it or choose to vape another vendor's offerings. It seems to be rather like political discourse: each of us will believe our choice is the right one, and will wonder how anyone could fail to agree.

I say this for two reasons. First, it grieves me to see this level of infighting in our community. We are engaged in a battle for our right to vape; fracturing the "army" is a good strategy for failure. (Yes, yes. I know that media and regulatory bodies *could* use this as yet one more rationale to support their argument against self-governance. But do we really need to help them to make that argument?) Secondly, I am interested to hear what Five Pawns is planning for the future; the results of any epidemiological studies they are supporting; and their insight into the regulatory environment. I am hopeful that we will soon stop this relatively fruitless inquisition and move on.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Most of us that vape are x smoker's that smoked up to 2 packs a day for 20+ years. I cant remember the last time anyone that sold or bought cigarettes asked thier local grocery store or the cigarette manufacturers for a list of what their Marlboro's or Newport's contained. You went, you bought it and you smoked it without a care in the world.

The "x" in "x smokers" is the operative word. We do not smoke anymore, and one of the reasons is because we found out about the dangers while Big Tobacco way lying to us for so many decades.

Many vapers do not want vaping to take from them what cigarettes did.

"without a care in the world" phrase would almost be painful to hear, by somebody like my Mom, who is dying slowly from a smoking-related lung disease.

Look, I am very happy that you can and will continue to vape what you love. Keep in mind that there are others who also want the same thing ------ CHOICE ------ the choice not to vape diketones. In order to do that, we need the information we ask for.

Just TELL us! So we can CHOOSE!

Yes.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
The "x" in "x smokers" is the operative word. We do not smoke anymore, and one of the reasons is because we found out about the dangers while Big Tobacco way lying to us for so many decades.

I would agree with this statement, if you quit smoking on June 12, 1957, when Surgeon General Leroy E. Burney declared it the official position of the U.S. Public Health Service that the evidence pointed to a causal relationship between smoking and lung cancer.

From that date forward, anyone who smoked cigarettes became well aware of the link between smoking and lung disease. We just chose for a myriad of reasons (total addiction for example and no other options available) to believe it happened to other people, not us.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I would agree with this statement, if you quit smoking on June 12, 1957, when Surgeon General Leroy E. Burney declared it the official position of the U.S. Public Health Service that the evidence pointed to a causal relationship between smoking and lung cancer.

From that date forward, anyone who smoked cigarettes became well aware of the link between smoking and lung disease. We just chose for a myriad of reasons (total addiction for example and no other options available) to believe it happened to other people, not us.

Well said RB. Also the last cigarette commercial on TV aired one minute before midnight on January 2, 1971, The “Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act” went into effect. This law banned the advertising of cigarettes and tobacco product on television and radio.

To say we were lied by BT into thinking cigarettes was not dangerous is a total misrepresentation of the facts. We knew the dangers and we still smoked.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Look, I am very happy that you can and will continue to vape what you love. Keep in mind that there are others who also want the same thing ------ CHOICE ------ the choice not to vape diketones. In order to do that, we need the information we ask for.
I feel your pain, and respectfully bring up a point to consider. We know that many smoking-related diagnosis of COPD were misdiagnosed due to DA/AP. Do you know what levels of DA/AP were in cigarette smoke? Consider that some of Five Pawns liquids have much higher levels of DA/AP than cigarettes. Consider the possibility that smoking might actually be healthier than vaping Five Pawns liquids, based on the disease (BO) both produce. Look back at my link to the NIOSH seminar, and you might consider the seriousness of this issue - not just with Five Pawns, but any e-liquid manufacturer.

You continue to ramble on with no proof whatsoever. You want everyone to watch a 4 hour video which ends with on speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread