Re-wicked using Mrs makeup removal pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, never knew this was so easy, I just re-wicked my Kangertech T3S coil using my Mrs round cotton makeup removal pads.

gave the whole unit a wash out, and then dry burned the coil to dry it off and clean it out on my ego stick, I then boiled a few of her pads for 15 mins, just incase boots added anything extra in there that I don't want to vape, I dried those out overnight, the outside of these pads is quiet hard lumpy cotton wool, but if you tear them apart, inside is nice soft fluffy cotton wool, I just grabbed a piece out, rolled it in my fingers to make a nice length of it and inserted it, primed it with a bit of juice, put the unit back together and then cut it to size with her tiny nail scissors (very sharp), I think the tank is the best its ever been and its going to save me a fortune, up till now ive just been replacing the whole coil unit, and although they're not really expensive, the cost can soon mount up.

I guess the next step for me is to learn how to rebuild the coils, ive been watching youtube video's on this, but a bit unsure of myself, looks big and easy on the video's, but when you take them apart, everything is so tiny, can I use this same cotton to wrap the kathanal wire around ?

IMAG0262.jpg

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
OMG, never knew this was so easy, I just re-wicked my Kangertech T3S coil using my Mrs round cotton makeup removal pads.

gave the whole unit a wash out, and then dry burned the coil to dry it off and clean it out on my ego stick, I then boiled a few of her pads for 15 mins, just incase boots added anything extra in there that I don't want to vape, I dried those out overnight, the outside of these pads is quiet hard lumpy cotton wool, but if you tear them apart, inside is nice soft fluffy cotton wool, I just grabbed a piece out, rolled it in my fingers to make a nice length of it and inserted it, primed it with a bit of juice, put the unit back together and then cut it to size with her tiny nail scissors (very sharp), I think the tank is the best its ever been and its going to save me a fortune, up till now ive just been replacing the whole coil unit, and although they're not really expensive, the cost can soon mount up.

I guess the next step for me is to learn how to rebuild the coils, ive been watching youtube video's on this, but a bit unsure of myself, looks big and easy on the video's, but when you take them apart, everything is so tiny, can I use this same cotton to wrap the kathanal wire around ?

View attachment 476953
Yes...cotton is a great wick. When you do make your own coil, I'd suggest wrapping the Kanthal around something like a toothpick or small screwdriver then feeding the cotton through it. Be sure to never dry burn it with the cotton wick in it...dry cotton will go up in flames instantly. When you notice your flavor is weaker, or "off," just change out the cotton. You can save LOTS of money by building your own coils and wicks.

Reactions: Sean Pereira

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yeah, the parts are small, but its not hard to do if you can see them. I got a lighted magnifier to help. One thing: if you do wind your own coils, you need an ohmmeter to check for shorts. A shorted coil would ruin your whole day, not to mention your battery and maybe your life. +1 on using a mandrel to wind the wire. It's much easier...

Yes...cotton is a great wick. When you do make your own coil, I'd suggest wrapping the Kanthal around something like a toothpick or small screwdriver then feeding the cotton through it. Be sure to never dry burn it with the cotton wick in it...dry cotton will go up in flames instantly. When you notice your flavor is weaker, or "off," just change out the cotton. You can save LOTS of money by building your own coils and wicks.

Thanks for this info, I did think the cotton wool would just go up in flames, and thought no way you can use cotton wool, with a bit of studying on how these things actually work, only been in this vape game for 7 weeks, I figured you can actually use pretty much anything like cotton which holds liquid well, even thought about using some of my old roll up filter tips, I have 100's of them, will test those first though, because they are so tight, I don't think they would really work, I mean they would have to be absolutey soaked in liquid for it to drip onto the coil itself.

Yeah, the parts are small, but its not hard to do if you can see them. I got a lighted magnifier to help. One thing: if you do wind your own coils, you need an ohmmeter to check for shorts. A shorted coil would ruin your whole day, not to mention your battery and maybe your life. +1 on using a mandrel to wind the wire. It's much easier...

the shorts thing is what makes me so unsure of myself and worries me the most, do you mean one of these ?

Resistance ohm Meter Coil Tester RDA RBA RBTA Tool | eBay

Reactions: suprtrkr

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Just remembered, I also have one of these which I use for repairing my guitar, fitting pickups or new pots, PC repairs, etc. not sure where he is at the moment, ive not used it for ages, I guess I could mod it to add some led's lights to it to help or just use a torch to light up the area for building coils.

Soldering Iron Stand Helping Hands Magnifying Glass Magnifier Crocodile Clip #AA | eBay
Looks like you have the gear.....get yourself some Kanthal wire and go for it. It's actually fun...in a tedious way. LOL

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    the shorts thing is what makes me so unsure of myself and worries me the most, do you mean one of these ?

Resistance ohm Meter Coil Tester RDA RBA RBTA Tool | eBay

If you have a 'mech' or unregulated mod, please do get a device like above.

If you have a modern regulated mod, you likely have a built in ohm meter. One of mine will read the resistance my simply screwing on a new tank - I don't even have to hit the fire button!

If you have a 'mech' or unregulated mod, please do get a device like above.

If you have a modern regulated mod, you likely have a built in ohm meter. One of mine will read the resistance my simply screwing on a new tank - I don't even have to hit the fire button!

Yes I do, didn't think of that, I have a Cool Fire 4 which tells me the ohm's of the coil without hitting the fire button :thumbs:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Yes I do, didn't think of that, I have a Cool Fire 4 which tells me the ohm's of the coil without hitting the fire button :thumbs:
    It works, and it's better than nothing. But I'd spring for the ohmmeter anyway. Always handy to have a spare, and to check what the mod is telling you. Using it also prevents you from hitting the fire button unintentionally. BTW, if you're going to go to all this effort, why not look into an RTA? *Much* easier to build and wick, the deck is bigger. I'd suggest the Lemo 2 for all occasions-- it's just about infinitely flexible-- and the Kayfun 4 clone for mouth-to-lung only. The Lemo 2s are my go-to tanks. I use them all the time, and I have several.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA

All my mods are regulated and at one time or another have told me I have a "shorted atomizer" or "low resistance" and refused to fire.

Then again, some folks don't trust a products 'feature list' as there have been some very cheap 'clones' which may of claimed to but don't actually have functional built in protection.

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd trust some inexpensive gizmo (which may have an accuracy disclaimer as long as your arm!) over a properly calibrated professional grade resistance measuring device.

I will however trust the approximate value displayed and protection circuitry built into major name brand regulated vaping gear. So far it seems to work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread