What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Oh man Hitt, I don't envy that. I just turned the air off after a 4 day run of mid to high 90s with high humidity. It was supposed to be in the low 90s yesterday but the hum. was down and it didn't feel too bad here in the woods, as long as you stayed out of the direct sunlight.

I had helped my neighbor get a sectional into his LR from an enclosed porch and his old sofa to the curb a couple days ago. The old sofa was pretty heavy so we got ti out the back door, but it was stinking hot and decided the best approach was to have him unscrew the medal from the bottom that looked like it would make it easier to move and possibly break it in two, which it turned out it did.

As I was walking back home, I thought the gf would probably take it apart for the medal since she already had a pretty good pile of scrap started and I was tired of looking at it. He's in his low 50s but isn't in the greatest of shape so he was happy to have someone else deal with it. She jumped at the chance but I new it would take supervision, some help and my tractor to haul it back.

I went over earlier and saw there were 16 bolts into the frame and a few screws holding the leg risers on to it, got the tools and sent her over. Meanwhile I got the trailer hooked up and went over to help. I swear some people have no logic when it comes to analyzing a project. She went for the first bolt she saw which was a support brace that had nothing to do with extracting the frame. I got her straightened out and proceeded to chase the puppies around that she just had to take with her. It didn't take too long, but it was out in the sun so I know how miserable your work environment must have been. I'd be looking for a different work environment to if I were you.

Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
I hear ya on the hot work environment. Back in the foundry I worked between the melting dept (molten aluminum with belch fires keeping the top at temp) and heat treat dept (600 degree ovens and a cooling tank that exploded steam every 2 minutes). 130-140 degrees was the norm with high humidity from that stupid dip tank. Assembly isn't half as bad, but still gets sorta miserable with high humidity on a few days. Probably because we had to wear full long sleeve/pants protective gear in the foundry versus shorts/t shirts in assembly.

I spent 4 years in college and got within 10 credits of graduation for a degree in PC/Network systems and support before deciding to take my current job. I think about going back, but unfortunately most of my credits have expired (windows xp era classes) and I'd have to start all over. I couldn't afford to take a pay cut either at this point.

I just try to live vicariously through my brother. He got a degree in Digital Animation/Game Design and currently works developing games. :thumb:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Developing computer games does sound like a lot of fun, but how could it compare to 130-140 degree joy. I'm surprised you gave it up for assembly. You're both right though, retooling a career sucks as far as taking a step backwards with the hope that it will work out. It took me a good 4 years to get back to where I was and you don't know where you might have been had you not made the move. In addition it was a lot longer hours with a lot more stress for me, but I was doing stuff I loved doing so it didn't seem so bad at the time. Work is not work when you enjoy what you're doing.

You're right Hitt, it changes so fast and to stay current you are constantly needing to learn new stuff. Once thing starting moving towards the micro computer world from mainframes and minis, I would have had to learn an entirely new world had I not moved into a 100% management role.

Well giz and Bella became its today on Bella's first birthday. We did the cheap route with them going to No Nonsense Neutering. They go into the local SPCA and do discount neuter and shots as well as trimming their nails for $130 per. Not bad for getting a couple dogs done.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
From my limited experience, I'd suggest that if it's running Win 7 or above, Win 10 should improve it. Obviously XP machines are ancient. I am working on a netbook with 3gb on that had Win 7. It was so bad I replaced it last xmas.

The last time I opened it, it took forever to move around and find what I was looking for. It took all night for the load and update and once completed, it took a long time to restart, After that it found further issues and had to restart. However now it's running like a champ. I'm absolutely amazed at how they performed this update.

I didn't even wait until they notified me it was time for the updates, I just downloaded and went. They give you the minimum specs to check. It appears to me that some of the functionality of a full blown install gets limited, depending on the capabilities of the machine it's being installed on.

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Interesting read for sure Roth.

I live in a neighborhood where people pay to have their lawns mowed/fertilized and I'm the only one who mows mine myself. Gives me another reason to not mow my ditch besides it being a pain in the ..... It's full of random flowers so at least it's pretty.

I do enjoy mowing though. Fresh air and sunshine, beer in the cup holder. Get a chance to inspect areas I don't frequent otherwise.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Waho, you have that dreaded ditch running in front of your house or are you talking a water drain on the back end? My mother had one that ran across the front of her property and I hated it. I'd let that thing go for a month and get the weed wacker out and beat the heck out of it just so I wouldn't have to do it again for awhile.

All the neighbors had one when I was growing up and most later got them graded so all the water ran out into the road, bypassing the need for the ditch. If course that meant the water hit the road and ran to the first place it could exit which was her ditch. The water from the three above ended up in her ditch digging it out over time. I never understood why they didn't pass the problem down the line but I'm sure the buyers will soon eliminate it also as they have the equipment to do the job right.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I live in a subdivision too. Some people pay to have their lawns mowed but not that many. Most of us do it ourselves. It might be silly but I take pride in what little bit of yard I have and have an irrigation system. This year it's been so wet that I have only had to run it a few times.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Waho, you have that dreaded ditch running in front of your house or are you talking a water drain on the back end? My mother had one that ran across the front of her property and I hated it. I'd let that thing go for a month and get the weed wacker out and beat the heck out of it just so I wouldn't have to do it again for awhile.

Mine runs straight across my front yard along the road, clearly visible to all. It wouldn't be so bad were it not 10 foot deep. Too steep for the riding mower and too deep to be able to stand on the edge and use the push mower. Only way to really be able to do it is to stand in the mucky water in the bottom and use the weed whip.

My Mom's yard has a bigger ditch than mine, but she lives on a corner lot and it follows the gravel road on the side of her yard. We'd clean it up now and then by waiting for a dry spell and lighting a fire at the end and waiting with hoses at the other end to put it out. Living that far out in the country no one called the fire dept on ya so it was pretty easy, albeit kinda dangerous if it got out of control. Her neighbor made the news last year for burning his ditch and accidentally burning up 12 acres of corn stalks that were thankfully already harvested. I don't even want to know what the fire dept bill was for that.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Going to put an order together for Snuscentral if anyone wants in to split up the shipping cost. They have Thunder Extra Strong Coola, one of my favorites, on sale right now. Plus I need to restock the freezer with some other strong snus. Still getting General around here for $1.99 so no need for that. PM me if you need anything and we can work out the details.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I'd love to jump in on that and order some new stuff to try but I just don't have the money right now. My oldest leaves for college in a week or so and we have been buying like crazy to get her all of her college/dorm stuff. It started with a 13" MacBook Air and went from there. I've been making my own liquids and coils and such to save money.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    No problem Hitt. I understand the financial pain of children although not at the college level quite yet. I also get a 10% off the whole order coupon for it being my first order from them. So if you reconsider, just let me know. I plan on placing the order on Monday when I get back from salmon fishing. Got to get me some more Odens 59. Love that cinnamon. ;)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind but doubt I'll change my mind. My youngest is also starting high school. We paid for registration and then she needed a tennis racket, violin bow rehaired, more shorts for tennis, and brought home a form for another fee for tennis. It just keeps piling up. The only good luck I've had lately is that I won an innokin disrupter on the give away thread.

Reactions: The Rebel

Users who are viewing this thread