Kanger Sub-Tank Plus - need build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
I just bought this and a Kbox yesterday. I went in for another Kayfun lite tank and came out of the store with these. I got the stuff home, wicked one of the prebuilt coils that came with it (0.5ohm) using peaches and creme yarn as suggested by the store...

This has got to be the worst buying decision I ahve made since buying the Kanger Air tanks that didn't work very well for me.

I took the wick out, wicked with the Japanese cotton that came with the tank, and it was just as horrid. I finally was able to half the airflow so it had a decent draw to it, but it hit extremely hot for me. Then I tried building what I do on my Kayfun Lite tanks, a 1.0ohm double barrel build using 28g kanthal and silica, but it would not fire on the Kbox or on my iTaste134...so I took out one of the coils and it worked, but still hit too hot.

Finally this morning I built a regular 1ohm single coil with silica wick. I hit all of my Kayfuns on 12w on my 134, but I have to dial this down to 8w. The lowest the Kbox goes is 8w, but it hits like my 134 does on 12w.

I'm trying to find a decent build that I can do for this new tank and mod that I picked up yesterday. I do not want to use the prebuilt-coils that came with it because I need something that I can rebuild to save money on coils. I need something that I have some play with on the Kbox on the wattage, and not be stuck to the lowest setting. I'm not a cloud chaser, just something that hits like an anolog, that is warm, but not hot enough to burn my chest.

I appreciate any guidance I can get with this new stuff.

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
Well not both silica and the yarn at the same time, but I did try the Japanese wick too that came with it and it was just as bad as the yarn. Right now the silica is working fine on the single 1ohm build I did when I put this on my iTaste134 on 8w. The rest of my Kayfun tanks I run on 12w on dual 1ohm builds. I'm not able to use the new tank on the new Kbox because it hits too hot, but my Kayfun tanks can run on it but not past its lowest 8w setting.

I have tried regular organic cotton in the past and did not like it compared to my silica, but I still have 2 large bags waiting to be used. I may try it again to see if it work good for this current build.

Edit: I went ahead and tried a 28g 1.5ohm double barrel build on this thing with the Japanese wick. It works a lot better, but I know I won't be able to bump past the Kboxes minimum 8ohm. I really hate the amount of air the standard air-flow settings allow, and wish there was a better way to restrict it. Right now I have the smallest hole 1/2 covered up by the twist cover, but it doesn't take much to make it move.

Last edited:

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
Okay, so I understand these are supposed to kick out a whole lot more vapor. I only got it just because the tank holds 7ml juice. Restricting the airflow down to 1/2 the lowest setting helped, along with making a single 8 wrap coil that I split in the middle to make a double barrel setup, using the Japanese wick that came with it. If I can find a way to completely plug up 1 side of the small holes it will probably be better.

That being said this works better on my 134 on 8-9w than on the Kbox at its lowest 8w setting. If I turn it up higher on the Kbox it will likely fry the coil and wick out so I'm not going to do that.

I really wanted to use the Kbox when I was out of the house due to the size of the iTaste234...it's so much more convenient because it is smaller. I probably should have not gotten it and just stuck with the 134 in the end, or gotten a different mod to work with. I can honestly say this was the worst money that I didn't intend to spend on vaping supplies.

So anyone coming across this who is looking into getting into higher output devices, if you are happy with the mod and tank you have, and the coil builds that you are currently doing are spot on for your vaping needs, then don't waste the money and instead just buy more of your current tanks if you like swapping out flavors a lot like I do.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Yea I learned the hard way that these sub ohm tanks are way different from the way I used to vape (dripping a stingray bridge less 510 atty- I just came back from a 1-2 year break from vaping). I got a herakles tank and couldn't do mouth to lung hits like I used to. I got a sub tank mini because I read on ECF that the draw was tight enough for mtl, but by time I got it I got used to lung hits with the herakles(which is amazing btw) and I now kinda like lung hits better.

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
As I said in the original post I went in with the intent of getting another Kayfun lite which they didn't even know if they had any, but...
Then walked out with this thing. I went ahead and ordered a replacement bottom for my stripped out kayfun lite base from Fasttech and will probably just clean this thing up and box it. The last Kanger tanks I gave to my Aunt. I'll probably try to trade or pass this along to someone else who likes big clouds. I just really wish I wasn't infected by the shiny bug so easily XD.

I really like how much juice it holds, but it just isn't for me I guess...long live the Kayfun lites!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread