Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
She is fine but has been a bit depressed with all that has been going on in her life the last couple of months. I haven't seen much of her either except for a 2 hr visit 2 wks ago but she and her BF when cruising all over southern Indiana and even into Kentucky last weekend looking for places to fish and checked out some caves and that seemed to bring her out of it. We went camping and fishing yesterday and just got back a few hours ago so she is now feeling a lot better. We had a great time. You all should be hearing from her soon. She feels bad about not being around but she needed time to herself.

Thanks, Terry. I'll be looking forward to hearing from her.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I have an interesting problem. I tutored today, and the girl read about how mammals, including humans, give milk to feed their babies. She can hardly believe it's so. She and her siblings were bottle-fed. She had never heard of such a thing. I told her I breast-fed my daughter, and we discussed it as well as her reading the stuff I brought. She completely accepted the fact that animals breast-feed and produce milk, but that humans do it, too, seemed to overwhelm her imagination.

Anyway, somehow, she mentioned that men could give birth, too, and I told her that was impossible, since women have things inside them to accommodate a baby that men don't have. She disagreed. She said she had Googled it and read about a man having a baby. She wanted me to look it up and verify it. I did, and there have been a number of men who have had babies, but the first, with lots of pictures, was a man who was born a woman and had gone through a sex-change operation, removing his breasts and getting hormones, but never having a hysterectomy. So this man has had 3 kids! I don't think there has been a man who was born male who has ever given birth, though one site I read said it would be possible but very dangerous. Some women have abdominal pregnancies, where the fertilized egg doesn't go up into the uterus. I didn't read if any of these pregnancies resulted in a live birth, though. They were mainly discussing if a man could carry a fetus.

OK, the problem is, I have to explain to this 8-year-old girl how those men who gave birth weren't born men, and how they had the female equipment to do it. This will get into the discussion of sex-change operations, and I wonder if she's ready for such information.

I hate to just leave it as, "Yes, some special men can have babies, but most men can't." That seems like such a cop-out. And she's sure to ask what's special about those men who can do it vs. the ones that can't. Whew!

What would you do?
Sandy, that really is a tough spot. I truly do not know what I would say.....me, I think I would consider talking to her parents and ask them what they would like to do or perhaps if they want to discuss it with her :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Anything is possible, Sandy.

We brought Bo home late this afternoon. He's not in too bad a shape, just has trouble getting really comfortable. To say he was happy to see us, and home, is an understatement. He'll be on lots of pain meds and antibiotics for the next week or so and he can only eat light meals, about half what he normally gets, for the next day or two, but at least he's home in familiar, comfortable, surroundings. We both really missed him.
That is wonderful news! Yay Bo! I love when big dogs get excited, because it is just so adorable :)

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Hi my friends. Actually it's goodbye my friends. I'm taking a break from ECF and it may be permanent. After nearly 6 years here, I feel that it's time for me to move on. You are good people, all of you. A better group of people can not be found anywhere......and I mean that.

That's why I didn't want to just disappear, I wanted to say goodbye. Thank you all for your friendship, I will not forget you.

Jerry

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Hi my friends. Actually it's goodbye my friends. I'm taking a break from ECF and it may be permanent. After nearly 6 years here, I feel that it's time for me to move on. You are good people, all of you. A better group of people can not be found anywhere......and I mean that.

That's why I didn't want to just disappear, I wanted to say goodbye. Thank you all for your friendship, I will not forget you.

Jerry
I do not know if we know each other, but good luck on your journey :) I am sure many people have come to care, and will miss you.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail

Jerry
You are always welcome back, jer!

My best to you.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin

Jerry
Friendship lives forever.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

Jerry

:( Very sad day for "Us" all, especially since "YOU" always seem to bring a "Smile" - if not a "Laugh" every so often, especially when it is needed . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

AND - While I hope it is not "permanent" as Ya' say, I can absolutely understand NEEDING a break . . . SO - Goodbye for now, but I'll see Ya' soon . . . THANKFULLY - I can always see what "You're" up to "My" Friend . . . :D

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
The 4th chick that hatched I have been caring for it the last couple of days, because it has had some complications. I moved it back to Mommy hen last night, and it passed away this morning :( Poor little thing :( It just fought so hard, and it breaks my heart. I thought it would make it. He/she was pretty, yellow with brown spots down its head and neck :)
The other 3 are doing great, and they are just so adorable!!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Sorry you lost one of the chicklets, Duckie. That's actually not very unusual and why animals are, generally, prolific at reproduction. So many don't make it.

Bo is doing well and his appetite is pretty much back to normal which means his GI system is in the same state of recovery.

We've been in a heat wave for over a week but it should break tonight/tomorrow. We had a line of storms go through early this AM, just enough to make everything really wet, and now it's sunny and hot again. That was just the precursor for the real change. The weather dramatists keep talking about how cool/cold it's going to be later this week, in the 80's rather than the 90's. Must be climate change. On the other hand, Iran and Iraq are really getting baked with temps, real air temperatures, in the mid 140's.

I was in the middle of shaving this morning, after the storms had passed, heard a loud pop outside, then the power went off. I suspected it would be out for a while, so I fired up the generator. It was out for almost an hour and a half. Something, maybe a fuse on a transmission line under 15KV, must have blown. Finished shaving with no lights and no nicks, LOL, then went out and fired it up.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
We went to Agway to get some odds and ends, back in the spring. They had a shed set up as a brooder house, full of chicks on one side and ducklings on the other. Mrs. Awsum wanted to bring a bunch of them home, but after I explained what that might be like, decided against it. (whew, that was close, LOL)

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
We went to Agway to get some odds and ends, back in the spring. They had a shed set up as a brooder house, full of chicks on one side and ducklings on the other. Mrs. Awsum wanted to bring a bunch of them home, but after I explained what that might be like, decided against it. (whew, that was close, LOL)
Haha! They are absolutely adorable, and very hard to resist! All 3 of the baby chicks can fit in one of my hands :)

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I have good news. For a while, the older boy I tutor has had an attitude. I've spoken to him about it, sometimes sharply, sometimes asking him what we should do to make it better. When I ask, I get a sulky answer, "I don't know." I've racked my brains to figure out what's going wrong. I think it's burnout. So much studying, reading, answering questions, filling in the blanks. Sometimes, in the process of learning, we just need a rest, a vacation to refresh our enthusiasm.

So the boy emailed me tonight to say he's going back to Michigan with his aunt for about a week, and I should continue to tutor his little sister and brother. I was going to suggest something like this to his mom, but I was afraid she'd just yell at him or punish him or whatever. Now the problem is solved without me having to do anything.

In spite of his recent bad attitude, he is really progressing, except with homework, where he is just circling the first answer that comes to him without thinking. This, and his tone of voice (boredom, a sigh) is what has me concerned. He's not trying, and if a kid doesn't want to try, he's not going to get anywhere. It's a waste of time. Ask me how I know. I was forced to take piano lessons from my father for a few years, and I hated every minute of it. I remember feeling like I think the boy is feeling, and I never really did learn much about playing the piano for all the time spent. So I was in sympathy with him, but still, I was hoping for some sort of breakthrough. I think a week in Michigan will give him a little rest from the pressures he's feeling and let him see some new sights. I asked him to write a report for me about his experiences. In spite of general sloppiness, he has been writing some fairly good things. Not complex and deep or poetic, but something I find amusing or an insight into his life. So, as much as he resists writing, he is doing better at that than other aspects, and Ive been focusing this summer on writing and doing it as grammatically as they know in their worksheets.

For instance, they know the difference of when to use "a" and "an" on a worksheet, but when they write, I get "a egg." Subject/verb agreement is another thing we need to work on in the writing, and keeping the verb tense the same. If they are writing something about the past, they shouldn't switch to the present for a sentence or part of one. Things like: "I went to the store, then I go home."

Please send vibes to the boy that he gets back on track and enjoys his vacation.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Tomorrow is going to be fun! I am going to the a place we call Flat Rock. It isn't anything like the St Regis River (Flat Rock area) in NY. No, this rock is all bumpy and black. Apparently, according to local sources, this area is a dormant volcano. The "Rock" is hardened lava. But the volcano is not what worries me, its the alligators. Yes I said alligators. On the other side of the dam in Lake Wedowee are alligators, some 5 ft long. I hope they stay on that side of the dam....:shock:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2009
    Raven's Haven, Indiana
    Hi, Rave.

Hi back atcha, Awsum. :)

And, hello to the rest of the Voltville Gang!

It's not at all like me to abandon a group of people that I care about so much, but I've been dealing with some issues. When it comes right down to it, I don't invest myself emotionally with very many people. I've lost far too many of those people in the last five years and I'm feeling a bit beat up about it. Such is life (and death) but that doesn't mean that I'm going to accept it well.

Terry and my BF have been doing their best to draw me out of my funk with some degree of success. Terry and I went camping and fishing for a couple of days at the Stripper Pits (strip mine pits reclaimed into a zillion gorgeous lakes) located in downstate Indiana. They were breathtakingly beautiful and each one was different. Not many fish biting but I think that's because the lakes have been so flooded that the fish have been gorging on fresh food deposits washed in not to mention a periodical cicada hatching. Our bait didn't tempt them much. It was still lotsa fun. Thank you, Terry.

Airline Lake.jpg

My BF and I went caving at Marengo Cave. That was a phenomenal experience being 200' underground and surrounded by a profusion of amazing mineral features. I've never seen so many stalactites and stalagmites. I've got a bunch of photos but I don't want for Terry to see them because I'd like to take her there.

Marengo Cave.jpg

After what felt like our Journey to the Center of the Earth, my BF and I took off for no destination at all in particular. We ended up in Kentucky in what had to be sasquatch country. At one point we were driving down a highway in broad daylight and didn't see another vehicle in either direction for fifteen minutes. I even saw a bear and a mink. The next day we explored a great number of lakes as possible fishing/camping sites before heading home. It was an awesome trip!

I've been keeping myself busy mostly with resurrecting robots. I buy Roombas listed as "For Parts" on eBay and then bring them back to life. Eleven of them since I was last here. Now I'm listing them for sale on eBay to fatten up the wallet a bit. I suppose I could get all analytical and say that I'm displaying a need to reanimate lost entities. Maybe that's so, but I'm too logical to really believe that. It is cathartic though. I love a challenge and I'm always presented with one repairing these things.

Anyhow - I feel bad that I can't possibly backread thoroughly. I did scan through it all though. Hopefully, you are all doing well. :unsure: Glad to see that Bo made it through his surgery and is back home recovering. Sorry to see that Jerry is leaving ECF. :( You really touched my heart by missing me, Lizzie and Sandy. I have missed you all and will try to get back on board. It's sometimes difficult for a recluse to come out of her cave, y'know?

wvducklady

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 23, 2013
    US
    Hi back atcha, Awsum. :)

And, hello to the rest of the Voltville Gang!

It's not at all like me to abandon a group of people that I care about so much, but I've been dealing with some issues. When it comes right down to it, I don't invest myself emotionally with very many people. I've lost far too many of those people in the last five years and I'm feeling a bit beat up about it. Such is life (and death) but that doesn't mean that I'm going to accept it well.

Terry and my BF have been doing their best to draw me out of my funk with some degree of success. Terry and I went camping and fishing for a couple of days at the Stripper Pits (strip mine pits reclaimed into a zillion gorgeous lakes) located in downstate Indiana. They were breathtakingly beautiful and each one was different. Not many fish biting but I think that's because the lakes have been so flooded that the fish have been gorging on fresh food deposits washed in not to mention a periodical cicada hatching. Our bait didn't tempt them much. It was still lotsa fun. Thank you, Terry.

View attachment 478213

My BF and I went caving at Marengo Cave. That was a phenomenal experience being 200' underground and surrounded by a profusion of amazing mineral features. I've never seen so many stalactites and stalagmites. I've got a bunch of photos but I don't want for Terry to see them because I'd like to take her there.

View attachment 478214

After what felt like our Journey to the Center of the Earth, my BF and I took off for no destination at all in particular. We ended up in Kentucky in what had to be sasquatch country. At one point we were driving down a highway in broad daylight and didn't see another vehicle in either direction for fifteen minutes. I even saw a bear and a mink. The next day we explored a great number of lakes as possible fishing/camping sites before heading home. It was an awesome trip!

I've been keeping myself busy mostly with resurrecting robots. I buy Roombas listed as "For Parts" on eBay and then bring them back to life. Eleven of them since I was last here. Now I'm listing them for sale on eBay to fatten up the wallet a bit. I suppose I could get all analytical and say that I'm displaying a need to reanimate lost entities. Maybe that's so, but I'm too logical to really believe that. It is cathartic though. I love a challenge and I'm always presented with one repairing these things.

Anyhow - I feel bad that I can't possibly backread thoroughly. I did scan through it all though. Hopefully, you are all doing well. :unsure: Glad to see that Bo made it through his surgery and is back home recovering. Sorry to see that Jerry is leaving ECF. :( You really touched my heart by missing me, Lizzie and Sandy. I have missed you all and will try to get back on board. It's sometimes difficult for a recluse to come out of her cave, y'know?
    Wow, that sounds like a great adventure! Great pictures too!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread