kanger subtank mini RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fussellini70713

Mar 28, 2015
Napa, CA
Okay so I understand I need to know more prior to building,it's not hard I know and it's cheaper than buying coils....saw it says building an rba at low resistance is bad.is the resistance based on the wire u use? Plz help someone! I want to learn and save money for my istick and subtank mini coming in the next few days...Plz.it comes with .5 ohm replacement and 1.2 ohm...weird how I have been unable to retain info about many things in my life but I'm.not forgetting what I'm learning about this stuff.it's very interesting to me and I want to learn so any help Wud b wonderful..I'm not going to do nothing special when It comes to the rba ,I watched a review and seen how to do it and I know it'll b easy for me but I wanna know about the resistance before I blow.myself up! Well I won't do it until I know either way

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Resistance is based on the gauge of the wire used (and type, Kanthal A1 is what to get for now) and it's total length. Much of the length is taken up in the wraps, with some in the "legs" that go to the terminal posts. The amount taken up in the wraps - i.e. the coil - will depend on what size mandrel you wind it on. That, in turn, dictates how many turns you want for a given value coil. There are online calculators that can help there, for most platforms - Windoze, Mac, Android.

NEVER apply power to a coil that you haven't checked for resistance. While a regulated mod is supposed to shut down on a short, a failure of it's protection circuits, or on a mech mod with NO protection, very bad things can happen very quickly!

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Once you've sorted out coil building try a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil in the subtank.
There's really no need to go sub-ohm in the RBA. To me it vapes like an airy Kayfun with one big advantage - it's leak free.
I'm surprised that there isn't a lot written about using the Subtank (and mini et al) at higher resistances. It works surprisingly well at a fraction of the cost of the usual suspects.... : )

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
If you're not comfortable wrapping the coils just yet, Kanger makes an OCC RBA coil pack. Generally you can find 20 coils prewrapped at 0.5 ohms with enough cotton wicking for all of them for something like $6 or so. Not a bad way to get your feet wet since all you need to do is install the coil and wick.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay so I understand I need to know more prior to building,it's not hard I know and it's cheaper than buying coils....saw it says building an RBA at low resistance is bad.is the resistance based on the wire u use? Plz help someone! I want to learn and save money for my istick and subtank mini coming in the next few days...Plz.it comes with .5 ohm replacement and 1.2 ohm...weird how I have been unable to retain info about many things in my life but I'm.not forgetting what I'm learning about this stuff.it's very interesting to me and I want to learn so any help Wud b wonderful..I'm not going to do nothing special when It comes to the rba ,I watched a review and seen how to do it and I know it'll b easy for me but I wanna know about the resistance before I blow.myself up! Well I won't do it until I know either way

Yes;; resistance depends on the wire you use.

Use the steam engine coil calculator when wrapping your coils.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Reactions: zoiDman

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Once you've sorted out coil building try a 1.5-1.8 ohm coil in the subtank.
There's really no need to go sub-ohm in the RBA. To me it vapes like an airy Kayfun with one big advantage - it's leak free.
I'm surprised that there isn't a lot written about using the Subtank (and mini et al) at higher resistances. It works surprisingly well at a fraction of the cost of the usual suspects.... : )

Maybe contributed about the equivalent of a book on the subject, last time I looked. And right here on ECF, the heart of vapedom. Particularly regarding Kanger's product line. Intruduced strain in the form of tension winding to help perfect super_X_drifter's revolutionary contribution of the contact microcoil and added a few distinctly unique wind circuits along the way.

Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!
Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
(Advanced rebuilding thread.)

Have a peek. Always a few veteran micro coiler's around to lend a hand. If not PM me. Glad to help.

Good luck all.

:)

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Check out RipTrippers video on YouTube about building the Subtank RBA deck.

Hey Matty, thanks for the post. Handn't seen it and was wondering what all the fuss was about.

A pretty hot coil without any oxidation insulation of the wire in an already very diffuse and quite warm tank design. Bears no resemblance in form, function, stability or flavor result to what I posted above.

But thanks, it's informative. He did a better job on his original OCC build. I would not recommend the above coil to a beginner vaper or rebuilder without expecting some frustration (as noted by a number of the posters).

A 28 gauge, 7-wrap on 3/32" will give ya 25% more surface area an a thicker wick (more flow, density potential) on a 3.44 amp draw (vs. 5.48 for a very atypically neat hand 5-wrap) for better battery service and vapor production. A tension wind on a screw driver or pin vise will yield this very predictable repeatable wind in under a minute. How many will duplicate Ripp's wind exactly and hit that 5.4Ω mark? Or even be able to calculate the wind spacing? We can do things the hard way of course…if that's our preference.

It's correct to conclude that the Subtank is not a tank capable of providing a fuller vapor density. It can't. Not with the open wind designs in use until the microcoil two years ago. I vape extremely dense and complex juices particularly tobacco and have no issues reaching the density target I require. Definitely not difficult on as well engineered a tank as this, to Kanger's credit (for the exceptional airflow and tight fitment).

Not a criticism bro. A comparison. I'm struggling to see how this video benefits newcomers.

Good luck M.

:)

410214d1423323163-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_1431a.jpg

MattyRetro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Acton, Maine, United States
As far as I could tell, the OP was asking about building the subtank mini RBA head. A good first stop is to see Rip do it and check out what he is using to do so. Obviously the OP needs and ohm reader to build safely. 28 gauge, 7-8 wraps on a 2mm bit should come in right around 1.2 ohms. That's probably a good starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2015
Linwood, NJ
its easy.I have an eleaf that tells if there is a short ansd reads the ohms.. My first coil shorted. The one thing is to clip wire ends w/ nail clippers then use blunt end to tuck in wire. It cant touch the barrel that screws around the coil. Just watch a few youtube vids. Rip Tripper has a vid of the kanger subtank mini. Use screw driver to wrap coils. Love that little blue screw driver.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
If you're not comfortable wrapping the coils just yet, Kanger makes an OCC RBA coil pack. Generally you can find 20 coils prewrapped at 0.5 ohms with enough cotton wicking for all of them for something like $6 or so. Not a bad way to get your feet wet since all you need to do is install the coil and wick.

Where did you get 20 OCC coils for $6 , Fasttech???? Even online US vendors are no where that cheap and they are more at B&M's .

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
Don't forget that Steam Engine | free vaping calculators is a valuable resource when it comes to winding your own coils. It offers you an Ohm's Law calculator and a Coil Winding calculator that are quite handy.

The building deck on the RBA is tiny. There is not a lot of space, so I limit myself to coils that have 6 wraps max on a 3.0mm screwdriver. With Kanthal, one could get by with a few more wraps if needed, because the coils can touch, but I run Ni200 and don't have this option.

Reactions: DavidOck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread