Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I got mine on Tuesday and I'm starting to notice that the taste from the coil is beginning to be a little off, which tells me that the coil needs replacing soon. That's after putting about 30 ml's of juice through the coil. Not a single leak though.
Are these on the nickel ones as all my kanthal last 25 to 30 days. No way that coil should need replacing after 30ml, no way at all. After 30ml the coil should be giving loads of flavour and vaping great. Both the Starre and the Crown coils are exellent for this, as for the TFV4 nobody knows yet.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Are these on the nickel ones as all my kanthal last 25 to 30 days. No way that coil should need replacing after 30ml, no way at all. After 30ml the coil should be giving loads of flavour and vaping great. Both the Starre and the Crown coils are exellent for this, as for the TFV4 nobody knows yet.
Yeah, I started with using the 0.25 nickel coil that came pre-installed. I still have the 0.15 nickel coil, and I ordered extras, but they're coming from China, so I don't expect to receive them for another week and a half.

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Yeah, I started with using the 0.25 nickel coil that came pre-installed. I still have the 0.15 nickel coil, and I ordered extras, but they're coming from China, so I don't expect to receive them for another week and a half.
So what are you getting, dry hits, 30ml is nothing for these coils ?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
So what are you getting, dry hits, 30ml is nothing for these coils ?

Not dry hits....but the vape was starting to taste a little burnt. I swapped out the coil for the spare 0.15 ohm coil. When I looked at the coil, I saw that the center was positively gunked black. I think it didn't help that I was vaping it at 500 degrees. I took the coil apart and the wire was black with caramelized juice. The coil itself came apart pretty easily, and I had a package of pre-wound nickel coils from Fasttech, so I wrapped it with Japanese organic cotton and put in a new vertical coil in it (albeit it is a single coil now, not dual vertical coil). Threw it on the ohm meter and it measured out to be 0.14 ohms. Perfect. I'll have to try it at some point to see whether I have enough cotton wrapped around it. It's not packed super tight so hopefully it won't leak.

As an aside, I noticed that although the coil itself has 4 large wick holes in the barrel of the coil, the metal shield inside the coil blocks 2 entire wick holes plus 1/2 each of the remaining 2 wick holes. I've also changed my temp to 480 instead, so hopefully the coils won't gunk up as quickly.

The coil wire that is in there is now 26 gauge, 12 wraps and the center diameter looks to be a bit smaller than the stock coil.

Last edited:

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Not dry hits....but the vape was starting to taste a little burnt. I swapped out the coil for the spare 0.15 ohm coil. When I looked at the coil, I saw that the center was positively gunked black. I think it didn't help that I was vaping it at 500 degrees. I took the coil apart and the wire was black with caramelized juice. The coil itself came apart pretty easily, and I had a package of pre-wound nickel coils from Fasttech, so I wrapped it with Japanese organic cotton and put in a new vertical coil in it (albeit it is a single coil now, not dual vertical coil). Threw it on the ohm meter and it measured out to be 0.14 ohms. Perfect. I'll have to try it at some point to see whether I have enough cotton wrapped around it. It's not packed super tight so hopefully it won't leak.

As an aside, I noticed that although the coil itself has 4 large wick holes in the barrel of the coil, the metal shield inside the coil blocks 2 entire wick holes plus 1/2 each of the remaining 2 wick holes. I've also changed my temp to 480 instead, so hopefully the coils won't gunk up as quickly.

The coil wire that is in there is now 26 gauge, 12 wraps and the center diameter looks to be a bit smaller than the stock coil.

Try 370-400

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
U like warmer vape ?
Not really, but 400 or lower is too cool for me and doesn't provide enough vapor. With free flowing tanks like the Freemax and the Aspire tanks (Atlantis and Triton), even at 500 degrees is still plenty cool for me, such that I don't even need to open up the top airflow. The Subtank, however, tends to vape a lot warmer so I will keep the temp on that lower. I don't go above 520, over 520 then the vape starts to taste a little burnt.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Not really, but 400 or lower is too cool for me and doesn't provide enough vapor. With free flowing tanks like the Freemax and the Aspire tanks (Atlantis and Triton), even at 500 degrees is still plenty cool for me, such that I don't even need to open up the top airflow. The Subtank, however, tends to vape a lot warmer so I will keep the temp on that lower. I don't go above 520, over 520 then the vape starts to taste a little burnt.
400-420 gets pretty hot for me, i turned it down to 375F and 30-50J

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
1. Ur temp kinda high... Kind of defeats purpose of temp control, try low 400's
2. Did u prime ur coils then let it sit for five minutes and occassionally suck on the drip tip without firing to wick it better ?
3. If u using darker juices... Plus high temps... Its gona gunk up the coils faster

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
So I just received the tank today. Remembered to turn the top to "Off" after filling and screwing the top cap back on. Have gone through 3 tankfuls of juice and have not had a single leak. This is my first Freemax tank. The flavor is definitely better as compared to the Atlantis 2, however, I think the vapor production is comparable to the Atlantis 2.

Comparing it to the Triton, the Starre Pro is definitely a lot easier to fill. The Triton has these two small fill holes while the Starre Pro has these huge slots. Even using a unicorn bottle, the tip isn't long enough to reach down into the fill holes on the Triton, so you're dripping it and hoping that the flow drops straight down into the hole.

I do believe the valve is the key to the early leaking most had myself included. I think everyone now knows to fill and CLOSE. Glad you are digging yours. I've used mine a few times recently and everything seems to have tamed down but the initial stress just turned me off & I still question that spring design. The TFV and Crown will have to do for me for now and are doing just fine, I have too many tanks!

Last edited:

Rixsta

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I do believe the valve is the key to the early leaking most had myself included. I think everyone now knows to fill and CLOSE. Glad you are digging yours. I've used mine a few times recently and everything seems to have tamed down but the initial stress just turned me off. The TFV and Crown will have to do for me for now, I have too many tanks!
There is a square tank coming out :thumbs: 10ml capacity

Reactions: MikeyConti

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
There is a square tank coming out :thumbs: 10ml capacity

Yeah, it has been available on Ebay for many weeks here for $25 shipped (U.S. shipped). Sunone Sking top fill and it will use Arctic coils. I have watched many full assembly, dis-assembly videos, glass breakage, how when you take it off you have to hold your mod upside down because the 510 and coil stays as the rest of the device comes off exposing a drippy coil (how they had to make it so it can achieve a square flush fit after install). A+++ for effort.

To me this is just a tank you get so you can walk into the B&M and be like "check me out dudes" or the most obvious need is if you were naked (no pockets) at an all day concert and only could have one tank to last you all day, well there you go Sking wins!

hahaha :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread