The whole reason I signed up here (please help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mKidA

Aug 1, 2015
This is the entire reason I made an account here. I really need some help. Please. I need to know what kind of battery I have. It's the only thing I have left to stave off nicotine withdrawal.

I'm going to try to be as descriptive as possible without turning this into a Tolstoy novel. I’ll try to keep it Hemingway length. Please bear with me. (And I really hope that I've formatted/embedded everything correctly)

Prologue:

I had (well, I still have) an aspire CF VV battery which recently died.* I was (and still am) devastated. I loved that battery. It was my pride and joy. I plan on replacing it soon (though it can never truly be replaced), but it will probably take a month or two.

So, I went into the vapor shop that I frequent with the hope that it could be repaired or might possibly still be under warrantee. That dream didn’t come true.

I use my e-cig with a 2.4% nicotine juice, which is the highest they offer. I use it constantly. Nicotine is a necessity for me. But...
I unfortunately currently own a grand total of twelve dollars and some amount of cents, along with negative one cent in my savings account. In my defense, I’m an unemployed college kid who still lives at home (yay, this is what I’ve always aspired to... pun intended).

Buying a new battery wasn’t an option for me - I was totally screwed and the guy helping me knew it.

Since they just happen to be the nicest people on the face of the earth, he gave me a random battery to use (I think it’s one of the batteries that they use to test coils/tanks) and told me that it should last for a while. He also gave me a free coil and 5 ml bottle of e-juice. The Catholic church ought to make him a saint. Actually, a few of them have given me a few small free items before... they should all be made saints.

The Dilemma:

I have absolutely no idea what kind of battery it is and I currently have no way of charging it... which is sort of essential for its use.

It has no markings on it, so I have nothing to go off of.

I’m sort of hesitant to go back in and ask because I’m not sure if/when the same guy will be there and I kinda don’t think that the other employees/manager know of his good deeds.

I’m thinking of finding another vapor shop to see if they can help, but I was hoping someone here could identify it first.

I fortunately still have a tiny eGo-U battery (the first one I bought) as back up, but it’s a couple years old. Since I upgraded fairly quickly**, it should hopefully last a little while... but probably not too long (especially considering my constant usage). So I need this new battery fast.
And this eGo-U battery is unbearably horrible compared to my recently deceased aspire battery, so I want this over with as soon as possible.
*Between the time that I wrote all of this and the time when I've actually been able to come back and post it, the battery has actually gotten worse... I don't know why*

My aspire tank seems to fit all three (I have an aspire BDC clearomizer). I have no way of knowing for sure that it actually works with my mystery battery, but the guy at the shop knew what tank I had and I don’t think he would have given me one that’s incompatible... but we all make mistakes, so it’s possible.
When I have my tank screwed on and I press the button, it flashes blue three times, so I’m assuming that it means it needs to be charged - if it means something else entirely, please let me know.

My current charger fits my e-Go battery and my aspire battery (R.I.P.) nicely, but it refuses to fit onto my new battery. I’ve tried cleaning the battery out. I’ve tried cleaning the charger out. I’ve been disgusted by how filthy the inside of my charger had become. I’ve tried screwing it in gently. I’ve tried to be a bit (but not overly) forceful. No luck.

Details:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here’s a little over 10,000. Words, not pictures (don’t worry).

I apologise for the quality (I took them with my iPhone) and for the glare (not the best lighting). I raised the contrast and sharpened them, so hopefully that should help.

01_in a row far copy.jpg

From top to bottom: aspire battery (not relevant, but I’m still in mourning), unbearable e-Go battery, mystery battery.

02_in a row close copy.jpg

A little closer.

03_tank copy.jpg

My aspire BDC tank.

04_side by side laying down copy.jpg

Close up of the e-Go next to my mystery battery.

05_side by side top view copy.jpg

Top view (e-Go still on left, mystery on right).
The heating plate of the mystery battery appears to be like half a millimeter more raised the the e-Go heating plate.
Also, it appears to have to same circumference as my eGo-U battery when I view them from the bottom.

06_e-Go top view copy.jpg

e-Go top view.

07_mystery top view copy.jpg

Mystery battery top view.

08_charger copy.jpg

My charger (and yes, I know I need a new one since the wires are exposed).

09_charger details copy.JPG

Charger details.

10_charger top view copy.jpg

Inside of charger.

Since I raised the contrast in pictures that were already not-too-great quality, the colours are distorted.
The colour of the mystery battery is sort of a dull purple, close to this (but maybe a tiny bit darker/more dull) :

Purple-ish Colour Photo by Im_Kid_A | Photobucket

Conclusion:

If you’ve made it to the end, I’d like to both congratulate and thank you.
Please, please, please help me out if you have any information about any/all of this.

End Notes:

* Does anyone know where/how to properly dispose of or recycle an e-cig battery. I’m not going to just throw it away... it seems like the kind of thing that shouldn’t go into a landfill. Is there any chance I might be able to get a small amount of cash/store credit somewhere if I can sell it for parts? I think that the battery itself still has a bit of power left - it’s the heating plate (or whatever it’s called) that’s ruined. Is this one of the types of batteries that Best Buy will recycle? If not, I suppose I’ll keep it for sentimental reasons... I become attached to both people and inanimate objects extremely fast.

** Unimportant and irrelevant rambling:
I didn’t upgrade straight from my e-Go to my aspire battery (which will always be remembered fondly). I’ve had two other batteries between those. I think the second one was a nicer quality e-Go one (I can’t remember). Then I upgraded to a slightly smaller version of my beloved aspire battery, so I gave my nicer e-Go-whatever to a friend because his battery was about the same quality as this horrendous e-Go U.... I now kind of wish that I had kept it as a back up. There was something wrong with the first aspire battery I bought, but it was still under warrantee to I took it back and paid a little extra to upgrade to my current aspire battery... which still needs a proper funeral.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Edit: Sometimes on those Ego batteries, the plate is spring loaded but can get stuck. We all used to keep paper clips around to "lift" the contact plate so it would make contact in the charger. God, the paper clip days I almost forgot. Try that 1st before you read farther.

Older info:
I'm guessing you need a 510 to 510 adapter. Been awhile since I messed with these little things, but I remember a device that was basically like both ends of what you have, that would screw into those batteries and extend the batteries connector up out of that collar so it would screw on that charger. You might want to go back and ask them. So sorry, I pif'd all that stuff a long time ago or I'd send you one.

Looks like this:
s700738925646932475_p138_i1_w477.jpeg

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Looks like what your shop gifted you is just an "ego type battery", non VV (not variable voltage), probably a variation of an Ego-T battery.

It should charge with the ego charger you already own, however, your charger is obviously not in good health. It is possible, looking at the wires starting to come loose, that it has lost solder contact somewhere. You were correct that the flashing blue light is probably because your battery needs charging.

I really can't tell from your post exactly "how" the charger connector is not fitting your ego clone battery, without looking at it myself. The only possibility is that it is a proprietary connector, but I don't think that is the case, because otherwise, your clearomizer wouldn't screw onto the battery either.

Your vape shop sounds like a great place. There is no need to tell anyone there where you got the battery. I would take it in and see if they can sell you a charger for it.

There are many great sales and such on vape gear, esp. out of china thru Fasttech, if you are going to continue vaping you reallly need BACKUP, more than 1 battery for instances like this. You can get another aspire CF VV clone at Fasttech (but from china will take a while to get it!)
$16.33 CF VV Styled 1600mAh Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Battery - 3.3-4.8V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
or a real one here online:
ASPIRE CF G-POWER BATTERY | ECIG BATTERY | EGO - MyFreedomSmokes

As to funeral for your used battery, most any Radio Shack, and probably your vape store, will take them for recycling. And thank you for doing that......you are right, all this stuff should not be going to landfills. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mamabear15

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Well the eGo CE4 I used to have won't charge when the positive centre pin sank in after some uses, just use a needle to lift it slightly then it's going again.

+1 for Racehorse, get some spare battery tube from FT, it's quite cheap in fact. Of course you could get a mech body and a charger, cost a bit more but it usually don't fail.

This is the H2 starter pack with LCD display
$9.40 eGo-H2 0.65" LCD 650mAh Rechargeable Starter Kit - black / 2.4ohm / 2.0mL / USB charging cable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Or consider the Lava tube, try to find the body only tho
$36.15 Lava Tube Variable Voltage APV Starter Kit - 3.0-6.0V / 1*18650 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
They are all (3) 510 connection batteries. The threading may be worn on one or all or the charger.
Test fit your tank to each, feeling how well they thread/snug without over tightening.
Wobble should be minimal when screwing on and no bind or slipping.

IF your charger is getting the Green light, it should still be capable of charging. If not then it is done.

My wife successfully stripped 5 batteries to the point they would not attach to the charger. I moved her to a higher quality mod.(which she broke in 2 weeks:()

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
You lost me at "Hemingway length." lol Do you really know what ur are saying? That's not even a question... merely rhetoric. There are so many easy choices today, I doubt your sincerity. I see u as a troll. You really can't be serious? I started vaping in 2008 and your questions may have been valid at that time, but today, they are nothing but total laziness. Pull your britches up and do something for yourself.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
That charger should work. If it doesn't, try it on your old ego, does it work there? If not, you need a new charger, no way around it. But if it works on old ego & not new, then grab the new and look at where you connect the tank. See the silver flat thing down in the center? "Center pin" - they "float", aka have a spring underneath em to theoretically adjust themselves, as diff depth needed for diff tanks, for chargers, etc. Great idea til it goes to far in. Anyhow - gently pry up the center pin (paper clip works or tweezers) - you don't need it to come up too far, but don't be too scared either, there's a good 1/2" or more in there that can come up (but shouldn't, lol) - a couple mm oughta do it - then try your charger

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
You lost me at "Hemingway length." lol Do you really know what ur are saying? That's not even a question... merely rhetoric. There are so many easy choices today, I doubt your sincerity. I see u as a troll. You really can't be serious? I started vaping in 2008 and your questions may have been valid at that time, but today, they are nothing but total laziness. Pull your britches up and do something for yourself.
wow... seems a little harsh... i didn't perceive the post as trolling in any respect, but perhaps my perspective is distorted.

it seems that we can get a little jaded when we have been around vaping and its assorted accoutrement for a while and take for granted we didn't start off as vape ninjas, but again, my perspective may be distorted

seems like the OP is trying to get some assistance with figuring out how to charge/ use the 'mystery battery' given the limited resources she has avaialable - ideally, to avoid going back to cigarettes... granted, it is a bit of a wall of text, but the cool thing about forums is we can choose what we do or don't want to read... your mileage may vary

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Dude Sarge look at username. "He's a kid" - hence broke and panicky - we were all that way once - have some empathy. If you think someone's a troll, ignore em. Otherwise w that comment you made you're the one technically trolling. Just sayin.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
BTW to orig poster - ignore that one mean post from Sgt please. In the time I've been on this forum, that comment one of only 2 incidents I've seen that ...... me off. The great thing about ECF (normally) is that we ALL started somewhere...and we ALL have had those moments of "oh snap what do I do now?" --- you obv did do some research, as you found us and asked. So kudos, on that and on stopping the death sticks...hope that center pin fix works for you (PS if that does solve the problem, expect to have to do it again eventually - it ain't a permanent solution, but will get ya thru!), and hope ya stick around, and sooner than expected you'll be the one giving newbies advice :)

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
wow... seems a little harsh... i didn't perceive the post as trolling in any respect, but perhaps my perspective is distorted.

it seems that we can get a little jaded when we have been around vaping and its assorted accoutrement for a while and take for granted we didn't start off as vape ninjas, but again, my perspective may be distorted

seems like the OP is trying to get some assistance with figuring out how to charge/ use the 'mystery battery' given the limited resources she has avaialable - ideally, to avoid going back to cigarettes... granted, it is a bit of a wall of text, but the cool thing about forums is we can choose what we do or don't want to read... your mileage may vary

If one really wants to get off of analogs, one will take the time to read all of the information available on ECF. There is nothing jaded here. Today, vaping is easy compared to what it was 5-7 years ago. The price is so much cheaper and the options are limitless. Don't talk to me about the Op's limited resources. If they don't vape, they'll buy a pack of cigs without any problem. If OP wants an easy system with a quality company that has been around for years, try Halo. They offer a complete system with quality juices. They are a forum supplier and trusted vendor. But stop trying to make this so difficult, it doesn't have to be.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Sgt- A) "making it difficult"? What's so difficult about asking or answering a question? Isn't that why we're on this forum to start with?
B) how do you know OP didn't read thru already - sorry but on my first time needing to modify some equipment, I read around and found what I thought was the answer, but still ASKED a question on here for my OWN EXACT situation to make sure I didn't ruin my setup due to what I feared would be a stupid rookie mistake on my part. It's called making sure you're right before you mess with the only working thing you've got. That's smart not stupid.
C) I love your avatar/profile pic. "Give peace a chance" - great, wise words. Maybe you should take your own advice man :)
I'm out...not responding anymore except to any further questions from OP... peace all

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
BTW to orig poster - ignore that one mean post from Sgt please. In the time I've been on this forum, that comment one of only 2 incidents I've seen that ...... me off. The great thing about ECF (normally) is that we ALL started somewhere...and we ALL have had those moments of "oh snap what do I do now?" --- you obv did do some research, as you found us and asked. So kudos, on that and on stopping the death sticks...hope that center pin fix works for you (PS if that does solve the problem, expect to have to do it again eventually - it ain't a permanent solution, but will get ya thru!), and hope ya stick around, and sooner than expected you'll be the one giving newbies advice :)

There wasn't anything mean about that post... it was reality, grasshopper. You've been around for a couple of months and now you are the author on ecigs. The truth hurts sometimes. Deal with it. Please see my previous post if you want to remain off of analogs. Have a wonderful morning.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Hello and Welcome I'mKidA
I'm impressed a 20/21 yr old knows of Tolstoy and Hemingway.

Would seem this battery requires a different charger than the one you have , though if your tanks vape on the battery I don't know whats going on there. Perhaps the adaptor that LouisLeBeau suggested may help

Although I think you'd be better of sticking with batteries that can be charged on a common ego charger as when I used one all my ego type batteries fitted.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If one really wants to get off of analogs, one will take the time to read all of the information available on ECF.

And if one takes the time to actually read, and then empathize with a new member, who is in a desperate situation (with no vape) and came here for help, (not your harsh judgment)..... then maybe it is YOU who needs to actually learn something.

When somebody with few financial resources, and a broken rig comes on and asks other vapers for help, that is what they expect to receive. (and thankfully, in all my 3 years here, that is usually what they get.)

One does not have time to read an entire forum when they just need help with a tricky situation or a major equipment failure.

You've been around for a couple of months and now you are the author on ecigs. The truth hurts sometimes. Deal with it.

Having the compassion and patience to help another human being isn't measured by post counts and join dates.

You've been around long enough to know the way you have behaved is not the way we "help" people in New Members forum. :rolleyes:

Mamabear was trying to help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread