ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland, United States

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Most nowadays are m2.5 or m3. Some smaller atty's use m2.
Which reminds me, what size do Derringers use? 4-40? I tried some m2.5's but they were loose.
M2 grubs= .035"
M2.5 grubs= .050"
M3 grubs = 1.5mm
4/40 grubs= 1/16 or .063"
M2 hex cap screws= 1.5mm
M2.5 hex cap screws= 2mm

beez0527

SQUONKAHOLIC
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2014
Etna,OH
M2 grubs= .035"
M2.5 grubs= .050"
M3 grubs = 1.5mm
4/40 grubs= 1/16 or .063"
M2 hex cap screws= 1.5mm
M2.5 hex cap screws= 2mm
This type of post with good info is why I love my Samsung galaxy tablet pull out the handy dandy galaxy pen press the button takes a snapshot and i can write any notes on it if need be.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
buy hudy and you will never strip one. Torx hardware is more expensive and limited in the sizes we would need. As a consumer you would only need 3 Hudy drivers or 4 if you have a nectar.
.035" cyclone and most authentic 14mm attys
.050 anything with m2.5 grubs (very long list)
1/16" derringer, Remm 4-40 grubs
1.5mm anything with m3 grubs (also very common)
2mm nectar
Cheap and poorly sized tools (SuperX's Wiha would be a prime example) will cost you a fortune in destroyed hardware, time and frustration. For about $50 you can have the important 3 $65-70 if you include the nectar 2mm. To me it's a no brainier. Most of my Hudy stuff is 12 years old and still works impeccably and mine get used very hard.
buy hudy and you will never strip one. Torx hardware is more expensive and limited in the sizes we would need. As a consumer you would only need 3 Hudy drivers or 4 if you have a nectar.
.035" cyclone and most authentic 14mm attys
.050 anything with m2.5 grubs (very long list)
1/16" derringer, Remm 4-40 grubs
1.5mm anything with m3 grubs (also very common)
2mm nectar
Cheap and poorly sized tools (SuperX's Wiha would be a prime example) will cost you a fortune in destroyed hardware, time and frustration. For about $50 you can have the important 3 $65-70 if you include the nectar 2mm. To me it's a no brainier. Most of my Hudy stuff is 12 years old and still works impeccably and mine get used very hard.

I will not dispute what you are saying as Hudy and Thorpe/ MRP hex drivers are quality tools. In fact, being a former pro RC ( 1/8 scale gas cars) and scale slot car racer, I have sets of both. I will say that while I've never had a set of Wiha hex drivers, I stand by my statement about using the torx drivers for atty's without the need to change the hardware.

For example, a 1/24 scale cobalt eurosport slot car motor turns in excess of 80,000 rpm. The wheels are secured to the 3/32 axles with 0.50 grubs. During an 8 lane rotation, you have 2 minutes to move your controller, run around the 150' plus track and service your car. It is sometimes necessary to change tires 2 to 3 times during a race. The grubs have to be tight! Even with The Hudy's I've had problems with stripping the socket of the grubs. Once I changed over to using a torx driver, that problem became a thing of the past.

Now slot car racing doesn't have squat to do with vaping however, I felt I had to explain as to why I chose to stick with the torx.
slot car.jpg
slot car track.jpg
drivers

Last edited:

rudedog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2014
toledo ohio
yeah ill save my c-note for a mod or atty's,I don't fist crank these atty grubs down either and like this lil set for all diff kinds of crap.a few of the reviews weren't so good.but man it was 10 bucks what did they expect.ive got a 17 yr old that likes to "borrow" tools so noway I was gonna get huddy drivers til his ash is out and away from my house!kids....cant live with them and cant killem either!ha ha
45 in 1 Professional Portable Opening Tool Compact Screwdriver Kit Set with Tweezers & Extension Shaft for Precise Repair or Maintenance Jk6089-A - - Amazon.com

2pak2zero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
yeah ill save my c-note for a mod or atty's,I don't fist crank these atty grubs down either and like this lil set for all diff kinds of crap.a few of the reviews weren't so good.but man it was 10 bucks what did they expect.ive got a 17 yr old that likes to "borrow" tools so noway I was gonna get huddy drivers til his ash is out and away from my house!kids....cant live with them and cant killem either!ha ha
45 in 1 Professional Portable Opening Tool Compact Screwdriver Kit Set with Tweezers & Extension Shaft for Precise Repair or Maintenance Jk6089-A - - Amazon.com
Only thing that's missing is the fork and spoon bits.

Got my pkg man. Thanks!

EZinTN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2014
Johnson City, TN
I've used Torx drivers for hex screws / bolts in other applications with good results, just not for these fiddly little grubs, so it makes sense they would work well. My issue isn't so much the stripping as it is having a bag of unlabeled cheap hex keys that come with the attys, and these rounding off is more of an issue than head stripping too. The size info posted here helps, thanks.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Pricey, but sometimes I just decide I gotta have something.
I love:
a) The name - ORTDS ("Ohm Reader That Doesn't Suck" )
b) The finish - powder coat, solid box with screws
c) Nice parts - non-slip feet, 22mm deck springloaded 510
Note - it's not "on/off" slide switch - you press the tiny button to get a reading...haven't decided if I'd prefer it stay on or not...
my_ortds1.JPG
my_ortds2.JPG

Also note - I don't think he stocks ANY - you get to pick yer color, he builds it for you...so don't be in a rush if you want one...

beez0527

SQUONKAHOLIC
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2014
Etna,OH
Pricey, but sometimes I just decide I gotta have something.
I love:
a) The name - ORTDS ("Ohm Reader That Doesn't Suck" )
b) The finish - powder coat, solid box with screws
c) Nice parts - non-slip feet, 22mm deck springloaded 510
Note - it's not "on/off" slide switch - you press the tiny button to get a reading...haven't decided if I'd prefer it stay on or not... View attachment 477324 View attachment 477325

Also note - I don't think he stocks ANY - you get to pick yer color, he builds it for you...so don't be in a rush if you want one...
I'm right there with you but i got the usa ohm reader
6887b110ce164ece2bea0c2124997343.jpg

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Anyone know where to get replacement bottles for the sun box monster?
If you are handy with a body reamer you can use almost any 10 ml bottle just ream the top cap alternating top and bottom of the lid until the cap fits the tube firmly. The e8 needs an offset bottle, your monster doesn't. The e8 bottles will work nicely but aren't necessarily required. I found them on Amazon for 10 for $5. You would also need a polycarbonate reamer (used for reaming the holes in the bodies of R/C cars) for $12-20. I suppose you could drill the bottle but I have never had much luck getting the holes the perfect size. The Sunbox bottles I used in the monster were identical to the TBev's 18650 bottles. I just can't see using $10/each bottles when you don't have too.

Try these:
image.jpg

Body reamer with scissors that will work great for re-wicking purposes as a bonus.
image.jpg

So for a hair over $20 and a few minutes of your time you can have 10 bottles and the ability to make more as needed for $6.37

Last edited:

Chowderhead1972

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
Also Tom what 22mm catch cup did you use to change your Gal. I've been told the sunbox flatter will work on a sva penguin but sure a proper 22mm cup would look better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Galactika sells there own cup that is epoxied and soldered in. Not as easy as a Sunbox. I did both of mine, want them?
image.jpg

I'm just not as big of a Galactika fan as I thought I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread