Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Ah, I didn't do it. B'coz, there wasn't much interest shown I found.

Obiter dictum: I am not in the least interested in mesh in this day and age: old tech. Though, I would make time another Qorax video. ;)

THE SAGA: Awoke last night, 3 AM, with the thought, 'I want to vape my ADV in all of my fav tanks'...and 'I'd better re wick the GEM to clear the previous flavor'. After an hour of fiddling, wondering why the resistance was off by more than one ohm, I concluded I had a short that I would resolve when I woke (again).

Sure enough, a tiny piece of Ni 200 was hidden under one screw***, visible only at a particular angle (don't do Kanthal A1 except for squonkers). Solved that, on to a coil that will work interchangeably on the SX Mini and dna.

Some time later, THE CURE, which is based on the premise that if I cannot coil and re-wick in five minutes or less something is wrong.

The bottleneck to fast coiling and wicking on the GEM is finding the precise amount of KGD to use. Too little, bad. Too much, distorts the coil. Surprisingly, this is a case of less-is-less-is best. A width of KGD equal to the coil ID: 2.5mm ID, 2.5mm width.

Ahhhh, relief. ;) Every vape results in one or two BUBBLES, vapor and taste are superb.

*** I am still very hesitant to unscrew too far or remove the screws for the reason stated earlier...lose a screw and I am GEM-less.

skin_e1

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2014
And now a hint for you all
A small and compact box mod from MB. DNA200!

Small and compact doesn't really suit the DNA200 all that well, unless one is willing to sacrifice battery capacity. One day usage of practical usage requires a 3S 1Ah LiPo, which is the size of two 18650s, so we're talking Opus 200 size. Evolv is also working on a 2S firmware upgrade, but that still would mean a dual 18650 (2S LiPo isn't really that much of a size saver to be worth doing), which means the smallest one can do is something like the Boxer or Vaporflask mod.

I guess one could do a small and compact box mod with something like a Zippy 3S 350mAh battery, but it wouldn't last very long. That's about the same as using a 1050mAh 18650.

Indeed. I have the Opus with 1000MAH and it's nice but like Yozhik said, For a DNA 200 you want a box that can fit at least a 1850 MAH. I'm currently shopping for a custom box with 2200 MAH. @Yozhik I'm not getting a quarter of the battery life I would be getting from a dual 18650. I'm getting near the battery life of an SX-mini at RTA wattage. Don't forget that "2S" means series. For my SX-Mini, I'm currently using a single Efest 3100 with LG HE2's in route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
^^^^^ I would buy a MB 200 if it were pocket-friendly. I usually carry a shoulder/messenger bag so it wouldn't need to fit in a pocket, but unwieldy would be BAD. ;)
I'd gladly sacrifice some battery life for sexy and compact [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yozhik

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Q - Thanks for that review. For those of us still on the fence (or waiting on the TI) this is very helpful. I do have to say that with 20/20 hindsight it is inconceivable that a $200 atty doesn't come with any spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no spares with my tilemahos as far as I remember! None!

Reactions: qorax

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I have shot them a mail. For (1)adding a spares baggy into the packages from now on - and (2)send the existing purchasers a baggy by post. Let's see what comes out of it.
Hey folks, Bugs came back to me on the subject day before yesterday.

It's seems it'd be near impossible for them to ship over 700 small packages to the erstwhile GEM owners. Instead he asked me if I could collect the requirements from you all and receive one package from them, for the total quantity. Thereafter ship it further down to all of you from my end.

I'm Ok with that ~ but have to resort to sending you by letter mail. Is that fine with you folks?

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA

It's seems it'd be near impossible for them to ship over 700 small packages to the erstwhile GEM owners. Instead he asked me if I could collect the requirements from you all and receive one package from them, for the total quantity. Thereafter ship it further down to all of you from my end.

I'm Ok with that ~ but have to resort to sending you by letter mail. Is that fine with you folks?

For the record, Qorax: I bought o-rings and am set in that department. In fact, during last night's SAGA I exchanged the troublesome one for a new one (it wouldn't go back into its place).

It would only be the screws I need.

Let us know when you decide how you want to manage this. PM, I presume..

Freedom2Vape

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2015
Texas

That would definitely work for me. I've been getting excellent flavor from my Gem since I cleaned and rebuilt it.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England

good grief Q, that is a lot of work for you...too good for this world. Said it before, I'll say it again...:)

I'll bow out of this one. I think best you keep it within your continent!! Hopefully Buggs will get a spares package together online at some point when they have moved. I will wait for that and leave you in peace!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread