your opinions on cellucotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntnyMikal

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Clarksville, TN, USA
Any beauty supply place, like Sally's, should have it.
Probably. But the two that I've been to locally I didn't see it. Just the rayon and the rayon with the paper in the middle. Maybe it was out of stock though, I'll see in the morning. I work across from a Sally's so I'll check it out.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I have the 500' box of Graham Rayon from Sally's and I've been using it for over six months, as of this post I opened the top of the box to see how much is left and there is easily 95% of the box left, if not more as it hardly looks depleted at all. Love it, it's the ONLY wick material I use.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
I mistakenly bought Cellucotton cotton instead of rayon, and wow, nothing to shake a stick at itself. Like everything it has a break in period, but it is way better than muji and organic balls. I may not even bother with the rayon.

The cotton I use, KoGenDo, has no break-in period. Kanger's "organic" cotton and non-organic cotton just taste nasty, not sure about break-in; my theory is taste buds just adapt to the weird taste. But ko gen do has No taste, from first puff to last.

I haven't had break-in periods for silica either... Just wanted to point out not everything has to be broken in (or chemicals cooked out) and if rayon does, that's a drawback I wouldn't accept

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Probably. But the two that I've been to locally I didn't see it. Just the rayon and the rayon with the paper in the middle. Maybe it was out of stock though, I'll see in the morning. I work across from a Sally's so I'll check it out.
Worse comes to worse, you can use the one with the paper in the middle - just discard the paper. Exactly the same thing. You just have to make sure you're getting 100% Rayon Fibers, not Cotton (it'll say so on the box). Also, a lot of the time, you have to ask for it. Some stores don't sell enough of them and stock them in the back, a high shelf, or in a really dark corner. :laugh:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
The cotton I use, KoGenDo, has no break-in period. Kanger's "organic" cotton and non-organic cotton just taste nasty, not sure about break-in; my theory is taste buds just adapt to the weird taste. But ko gen do has No taste, from first puff to last.

I haven't had break-in periods for silica either... Just wanted to point out not everything has to be broken in (or chemicals cooked out) and if rayon does, that's a drawback I wouldn't accept
Any breakin period with rayon is usually due to user error.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I am intrigued by rayon, but am somewhat hesitant to be inhaling whatever comes with a dry hit.
Rayon is cellulose, as in paper. You'll even smell burning paper if it burns, then it burns to ash (just like paper). You wanna make sure that you prime well, because any burning will lessen density. When you don't have enough density is when the nasty burnt taste happens, because you'll be able to taste the crud burning on the coil.

Reactions: DavidOck

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used ordinary cotton for a couple of years and then tried Rayon. Rayon worked better for me. I got cleaner flavor and a bit more time between dry burns.

Then I bought a temperature contol mod and thought it might be hard to stuff so much rayon into nickle or titanium coils so I bought some Koh Gen Do. I tried the KGD in Kanthal builds to get a feel for it and I didn't see much difference compared to the rayon I was used to. After that I found I could use more KGD in a coil than I had been able to use with regular cotton and that made it even better.

I still use both rayon and KGD (I have a ton of each ;)) and I find if I do it right they both work great. I'm not going back to ordinary cotton.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
I started rebuilding last year. Started with the peaches and cream yarn, and it didn't wick very well. Went to CVS organic cotton balls, but wanted to boil them before I used it. They took FOREVER to dry, and I was afraid of it getting moldy, so I tossed those away before even used them.

Right around this time, that master rayon thread started popping up, so I got the 500 ft box from Sallys. I had been using rayon as wicks for about a year since then.

I just got my first vape wild order, and they were selling Koh Gen Do sheets 4 for $1, so I grabbed a pack. I had seen pbusardo's wick test a long time ago, and had been meaning to try, but never got a chance to.

What I liked about the KGD:
  • It was very easy to work with. You cut a straight line and it fits perfectly in the coil. I got mine with the very first try. With the rayon, I often get lumpy spots where the wick is thicker in different parts.
  • There was no funny taste on the first few puffs. Rayon definitely has a funny taste for the first few hits, but it's nothing to gag over or anything.
  • It wicked very well, but I never really had issues with the rayon wicking either.
I went back to rayon after a week though because:
  • Flavor was a tiny bit better with the rayon IMO, but it's very close
  • Rayon gives a better throat and nicotine hit, but very comparable
  • Rayon definitely lasts longer than KGD. I'm kinda obsessed with my flavor, so I rewick every 2 days. I can usually go about 2.5 to 3 until it starts tasting funny. With the KGD I couldn't even make it 2 full days without it tasting like it needed to be changed.
  • I already have a lifetime supply of rayon, but you can get 120 sheets of KGD on ebay for like $14. I think I could make 1 sheet last me a month.

The clincher for the rayon was that the KGD couldn't even last 2 days for me. Otherwise it would be a tossup between the two, because I really liked how easy the KGD was to work with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread