Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
You should post these, at a minimum, seasonally so we can see the difference. I still can't get over how green everywhere else is. And that reservoir was full. :w00t: Then you hit the buffet and made me go eat something. :grr:

Me either, I suspect he is a nicotine based lifeform. :lol:
Damned straight he is. :lol:

Really enjoying the ride, Beck!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Pilot Providence Forge, VA
I 64 Exit 211

9641bb2e2663667d18eeba8413f86861.jpg

548bcae8e48fdb626f1a76fb69d5a0ae.jpg

ETA; This is extremely common.

Though there are places with more.

And the 49er truck stop in the San Francisco area that has a room full of humidors with a small vape wall with clones, kanger, innokin, etc.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
You should post these, at a minimum, seasonally so we can see the difference. I still can't get over how green everywhere else is. And that reservoir was full. :w00t: Then you hit the buffet and made me go eat something. :grr:

Damned straight he is. [emoji38]

Really enjoying the ride, Beck!

A wash is dramatically different from a reservoir. It's where the water runs off of higher land into a crevice then washes out and disperses typically to lower, flat valleys and disappears into a much larger area.

They're often in desert climates where a little water can devastate the landscape and doesn't saturate and soak into the ground immediately. They're also dead bone dry 99% of the time. One with water is a rare site and may indicate land that's soon to give way.

I will update sporadically. Today for example, I didn't feel as well and VA traffic can get hectic without notice or reason. And traffic was a bit heavy.

But don't fret. It's just a matter of time before I'm stuck behind wreck after wreck with plenty of time to cover VA.

Lol, oy vey...

Tapatyped

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
A wash is dramatically different from a reservoir. It's where the water runs off of higher land into a crevice then washes out and disperses typically to lower, flat valleys and disappears into a much larger area.

They're often in desert climates where a little water can devastate the landscape and doesn't saturate and soak into the ground immediately. They're also dead bone dry 99% of the time. One with water is a rare site and may indicate land that's soon to give way.

I will update sporadically. Today for example, I didn't feel as well and VA traffic can get hectic without notice or reason. And traffic was a bit heavy.

But don't fret. It's just a matter of time before I'm stuck behind wreck after wreck with plenty of time to cover VA.

Lol, oy vey...

Tapatyped
Sorry for the bummer drive today. Living out in the boonies, it's interesting to see so much vape stuff at the truck stops. That really is heartening, considering the FDA and all the bleeping state and local laws being passed. (You did sign the petition, right? It's in my sig line below. DO NOT MAKE ME BEG, lol.)

Everything here with a waterline like that is a reservoir. My bad.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day. :party:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Around here, there are storm-water "creeks" everywhere; some of them have a trickle all the time, but most are pretty much dry unless there's a lot of rain -- we have one of the latter behind our house; 95% of the time, it's perfectly dry, just a gully with some big rocks... but a culvert leads to it, from the next street "up"... it runs down into another culvert and disappears somewhere still lower. Also huge catchment basins; some have a bit of water all the time, which gets progressively greener with algae, during dry spells, but after a big rain, they get more full, and very muddy. There's a "lake" (actually it's a pond but the engineers felt generous I guess) right beside the road my husband's company is on ("Lakes Parkway"), and back in '09 when we had LOTS of flooding going on, that entire road was under water at one end; you had to go around and come in the other end, to get to his work. :D

Andria

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Ohhhhh!!!! Homesick now, I lived in that area as a kid... and spent many summers there with family since then.

You won't be driving through my old hometown, since it's a small town on a peninsula (it was almost like living on a small island)... but you're close enough. Newport News / Hampton / Virginia Beach - my old stomping ground! :)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Sorry for the bummer drive today. Living out in the boonies, it's interesting to see so much vape stuff at the truck stops. That really is heartening, considering the FDA and all the bleeping state and local laws being passed. (You did sign the petition, right? It's in my sig line below. DO NOT MAKE ME BEG, lol.)

Here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day. [emoji14]arty:

Been signed. I was there when the concept was being formed. ;)

Around here, there are storm-water "creeks" everywhere; some of them have a trickle all the time, but most are pretty much dry unless there's a lot of rain -- we have one of the latter behind our house; 95% of the time, it's perfectly dry, just a gully with some big rocks... but a culvert leads to it, from the next street "up"... it runs down into another culvert and disappears somewhere still lower. Also huge catchment basins; some have a bit of water all the time, which gets progressively greener with algae, during dry spells, but after a big rain, they get more full, and very muddy. There's a "lake" (actually it's a pond but the engineers felt generous I guess) right beside the road my husband's company is on ("Lakes Parkway"), and back in '09 when we had LOTS of flooding going on, that entire road was under water at one end; you had to go around and come in the other end, to get to his work. :D

Andria

In Arizona those dry basins and creeks are called rivers and lakes... just in case it ever rains again. [emoji38]
Ohhhhh!!!! Homesick now, I lived in that area as a kid... and spent many summers there with family since then.

You won't be driving through my old hometown, since it's a small town on a peninsula (it was almost like living on a small island)... but you're close enough. Newport News / Hampton / Virginia Beach - my old stomping ground! :)
Happy to be of service.

Tapatyped

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
TX is a bad place to drive when there's white stuff on the roads. Most people don't realize that we rarely get just snow here - there's usually ice on top of or underneath the snow. Add to that fact that we just don't have the equipment to deal with it and you have a recipe for disaster.

I usually call in sick when the roads are white lol.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
TX is a bad place to drive when there's white stuff on the roads. Most people don't realize that we rarely get just snow here - there's usually ice on top of or underneath the snow. Add to that fact that we just don't have the equipment to deal with it and you have a recipe for disaster.

The little bridges every mile on E/W bound highways are treacherous.

Tapatyped

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
In Arizona those dry basins and creeks are called rivers and lakes... just in case it ever rains again. [emoji38]

Heh... around here we have actual creeks, rivers, and lakes, that have water in them all the time (though in '08 before the flood year, we'd had 10 yrs of drought, and it was starting to look like maybe Lake Lanier was going to dry up completely!). Those storm-drain affairs are often dry, but it's like those washes in the desert... you don't want to be in one of them, if it starts to rain. ;)

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Same problem here -- usually more ice than snow, no equipment to deal with it.... and most of the entire city/metro area/N GA calls in sick -- they just stay closed!

Andria

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Same problem here -- usually more ice than snow, no equipment to deal with it.... and most of the entire city/metro area/N GA calls in sick -- they just stay closed!

Andria
TX has 1/4 the equipment for 4 X's the land, 15 mph higher highway speeds and higher speeds on regular roads.

It's rough in winter weather.

GA is a close runner up though.

Tapatyped

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

Andria
We do have seasonal drainages and such. They funnel water down the mountains into reservoirs where San Francisco steals the water and pipes it to the other side of the state bypassing the vegitation, fish and wildlife so they can water their lawns, wash their cars and fill their pools. :grr:
Been signed. I was there when the concept was being formed. ;)
Just making sure, we passed the 24,000 mark this morning! :D

I see you use the wording "Semi on I 20 EB in TX this winter" loosely. Poor thing's barely hanging on by its tires. I remember you posting that before. The driver was very lucky. Yikes!

Reactions: KattMamma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread