dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Todays mixes

Nova Buba's 7% - Never tasted it so have no reference point to the original. But if it pleases my pallet I'll let you know. making 10ml sample

Cohiba sc 2% - samara ta 2% - DNB 2% - Never tasted it so have no reference point. But if it pleases my pallet I'll let you know..
making 10ml sample.

Hangsen RY4 7%, samara TA 2% - Same as above but have had many RY4's so let see if this is close to what I make from scratch.
making 10ml sample

Hangsen USA Red 7%, samara TS 2%, DNB 2% - One of my old standards so no description nessessary. Good with a touch of DNB and Virginia TA.
making 10ml sample because I used samara ta instead of the usual virginia ta.

All mixes had there first taste test which tell me i'm in the ball park and they are now steeping in the UC.

Now if I can figure out why all my kayfun clones flood when half empty I'll be all set.
replaced:
all o-rings
plastic tank
tightned center post screw
did the vacuum test and it holds a vacuum.

it's got me stumped. all 5 at one point or another flood and leak through the vent hole when down to half full.

I think I need to start researching to find a better rba.

Last edited:

gone3uo6

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2015
Pocomoke City, MD
gone3uo6.blogspot.com
Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Now if I can figure out why all my kayfun clones flood when half empty I'll be all set. ..................

I think I need to start researching to find a better RBA.

Back when I was following the kayfun thread, most of the wicking problems seemed to get solved by matching the coil diameter and amount of cotton down to the deck. Some would have the cotton come down and curl along the shelf, others would have the cotton end as it touched the shelf. I'm guessing it might be worth while to experiment with a slightly larger diameter coil to see if you can dial it in. If you haven't tried rayon yet that might be worth a try as well.

This video should start at about the right place but if it doesn't, slide the transport out to about 12:00 and start from there to see what I mean about a larger diameter coil. It's a Lemo in the video but the same idea.

My approach is a little different. I use a small diameter (3/32nd) micro coil and a slightly longer tail on the wick, curled back along the top of the shelf. It's still very little cotton, but it's enough that it won't leak ever, but I do have to use primer puffs to keep it going. The advantage of using primer puffs is that I'm always vaping from a saturated wick. A squonker has to squonk, I have to primer puff, but the rewards are the same, vaping from a well saturated wick. :vapor:

Those mixes all look good on paper at least. I'm looking forward to your reviews.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Back when I was following the kayfun thread, most of the wicking problems seemed to get solved by matching the coil diameter and amount of cotton down to the deck. Some would have the cotton come down and curl along the shelf, others would have the cotton end as it touched the shelf. I'm guessing it might be worth while to experiment with a slightly larger diameter coil to see if you can dial it in. If you haven't tried rayon yet that might be worth a try as well.

This video should start at about the right place but if it doesn't, slide the transport out to about 12:00 and start from there to see what I mean about a larger diameter coil. It's a Lemo in the video but the same idea.

My approach is a little different. I use a small diameter (1/16th) micro coil and a slightly longer tail on the wick, curled back along the top of the shelf. It's still very little cotton, but it's enough that it won't leak ever, but I do have to use primer puffs to keep it going. The advantage of using primer puffs is that I'm always vaping from a saturated wick. A squonker has to squonk, I have to primer puff, but the rewards are the same, vaping from a well saturated wick. :vapor:

Those mixes all look good on paper at least. I'm looking forward to your reviews.

Funny you should mentioned that. I just recently switched to making my coils smaller because I noticed smaller coils at the same ohm seemed to last longer and right about then is when I noticed the flooding was getting worst. I'll have to try going back to larger coils and larger diameter cotton wicking. Great suggestion....thank you.

Reactions: Dixie1954

gone3uo6

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2015
Pocomoke City, MD
gone3uo6.blogspot.com
OK just ordered...

Inawera - Tobacco Cavendish Type (WG)
Inawera - Tobacco Gold Ducat
German Flavours - Bald Eagle Flavor
Vaper Teks (Chem Novatic) - 120 mL EU Sourced Nicotine (100 mg USP/EP)

I dug through some German Flavours reviews and Bald Eagle got nothing but great reviews...everything else seemed to be hit or miss. It's suppose to be a sweet cigar flavor.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I did 3 mixes Saturday.

HS-Red, HS-Gold & Sliver and HS-Virginia. All at 6% with 2% Samara TA. All UC steeped for 2-3 hours

I've been using the red for over a year to make my own RY4. With the above mix I thought it rather bland. It may have just needed to steep for a while longer. Anyhow, I added 2% FA caramel and 1% TFA vanilla swirl and now have a much better RY4 than I did before.

The G/S I think needs to steep for a while longer. I didn't think it bad by any means. Maybe just not my cup of tea. I did add a drop of INA chocolate into my tank and liked it much better. I'll try it again in a few weeks.

The Virginia I'm in love with. Very good, slightly sweet rich tobacco flavor. If it's this good after a relatively short steep, I'm going to make a couple of 100ml bottles and "try" to forget about them for a while.

gone3uo6

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2015
Pocomoke City, MD
gone3uo6.blogspot.com
I did 3 mixes Saturday.

HS-Red, HS-Gold & Sliver and HS-Virginia. All at 6% with 2% Samara TA. All UC steeped for 2-3 hours

I've been using the red for over a year to make my own RY4. With the above mix I thought it rather bland. It may have just needed to steep for a while longer. Anyhow, I added 2% FA caramel and 1% TFA vanilla swirl and now have a much better RY4 than I did before.

The G/S I think needs to steep for a while longer. I didn't think it bad by any means. Maybe just not my cup of tea. I did add a drop of INA chocolate into my tank and liked it much better. I'll try it again in a few weeks.

The Virginia I'm in love with. Very good, slightly sweet rich tobacco flavor. If it's this good after a relatively short steep, I'm going to make a couple of 100ml bottles and "try" to forget about them for a while.

I UC steeped my G/S with INA Chocolate and it was OK as you described. I tried it several weeks later and it definitely has developed into a better vape. I recommend revisiting that one 2 weeks from now. The more experience I gain in this, the more I've come to understand the importance of just waiting and letting the juice steep naturally in the cabinet.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
My impressions on Nova's buba's clone.

It has a rich sweet caramel taste with a very nice creamy texture. I also detected a touch of vanilla. The only issue I had with the mix at 7% is a harsh chemical after taste. I gave it a 3 hour steep so I'll just let it sit a while and see if the chemical taste goes away. This kinda harsh pungent chemical taste seems to be common with the Nova flavors. I detected it in the halo clones as well.

Tonight I'll be sampling the Cohiba sc.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Funny you should mentioned that. I just recently switched to making my coils smaller because I noticed smaller coils at the same ohm seemed to last longer and right about then is when I noticed the flooding was getting worst. I'll have to try going back to larger coils and larger diameter cotton wicking. Great suggestion....thank you.
I just remembered something else that might be worth a try since you're liking your smaller coil, and you can try it before replacing your coil. Think helper wick except don't cover the coil. Either bridge it up over the coil or cut out the middle at the edge of the coil on each side, so that you have two small helper wicks on each side that run from the shelf up to the edge of the coil. Fill about half full and you'll soon know if it's working or not.

I've tried a zillion different coils and the one I keep coming back to is a 3/32nd inch micro, wrapped as tight as I can get it by hand. But then again, I'm using a mech and coils wrapped to around 1 ohm, and my ideas might change if I went to a higher wattage device.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit I just checked and it's 3/32nds not 1/16th. I'm changing my post. Sorry bout that.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
OK just ordered...

I dug through some German Flavours reviews and Bald Eagle got nothing but great reviews...everything else seemed to be hit or miss. It's suppose to be a sweet cigar flavor.
Inawera Gold Ducat seems to be a love it / hate it type flavor, going by some of the reviews I've read. I love it at 3% with a hot cup of coffee. :vapor:

gone3uo6

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2015
Pocomoke City, MD
gone3uo6.blogspot.com
AS I'm using a Mech I'll try the 1/16th and see how it goes. I'd rather rebuild more frequently then have to put up with this constant flooding. What size gauge wire are you using?

If you ever decide to get a new RTA, I recommend the Billow v2. I have had zero problems with it. The build area allows for dual 3.0mm 26ga 9 wrap coils (.7ohms).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
AS I'm using a Mech I'll try the 1/16th and see how it goes. I'd rather rebuild more frequently then have to put up with this constant flooding. What size gauge wire are you using?
I use 28 ga. Kanthal, 6/7 wrap for around 1 ohm on my meter, which may or may not be all that accurate. And it's a 3/32nd drill bit, not 1/16th, sorry bout the wrong info. Jeez, I hate old age. :D

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Inawera Gold Ducat seems to be a love it / hate it type flavor, going by some of the reviews I've read. I love it at 3% with a hot cup of coffee. :vapor:

That's a good thought. I'll take a little, dilute it 50% with some unflavored I have made and let it sit for a while. Who knows, I may like it better that way and I'll have twice as much to enjoy. :) Thanks. :thumb:

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
OK just ordered...

I use Cavendish quite extensively in my mixes. Bald eagle I vape straight up at the recommended dosage. It benefits from a week's steep but is OK right after you mix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread