IPV4 Shorted by tweezers touching coil while firing... Short protection failed.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
At my wits end.. I'm so frustrated I could cry right now. Any help would be incredible.

Hardware: Using a black IPV4, charging board removed months ago. Samsung 25r's, Aeolus RDA and Origen V2 RDA.

I was fixing up my coils, had my tweezers on the coil and my finger accidentally pressed the fire button. IPV4 now reads check atomizer.

I have:

Rebuilt coil on RDA. - did nothing

Tried different RDA with brand new coil. - did nothing

Switched batteries around. - did nothing

Tried new set of batteries - did nothing.

Tested RDA and coil and batteries on a mech mod - they all work fine.

NEW TEST I JUST DID: I used my multi meter to test continuity and voltage through the atomizer. Both tests were a success -voltage was going through the atomizer-, but I don't know exactly what this means. Any further help is seriously appreciated.

I've opened the IPV4 and don't immediately see anything wrong. I've been in there before when I took the balance (charging) board out. I don't smell any electrical issues.

How else can I trouble shoot this? Is it likely the board has shorted? How ....ed am I?

Thanks for any help! I can provide any info if someone is willing to help me.

PS- 99% sure my warranty is void due to removal of the balance board.

I have a multimeter + a soldering iron

Last edited:

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I hate to be be the bringer of bad news... From what I've seen of these devices it seems more likely than not the board is damaged somewhere.
I'd agree that you're right about the charging board being removed voiding the warranty.
While the short protection didn't work so well to protect the device but it did work well enough to protect you from harm. Your well being is important, so there is that which certainly counts for something.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
It does normally say check atomizer if there is no atomizer screwed in. I can attest to that for sure as I have tested it prior to this issue.. Any idea what would cause the IPV4 to not detect the atomizer?

Then technically, the situation seems to be that the centerpin might just not be making contact with the atomizer;

at this point what you need to check is whether there is any voltage output coming from the ipv by using a multimeter.
but again like with the tweezers, you have to be careful not to short out the connection with the metal of the probe when measuring the voltage.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
Then technically, the situation seems to be that the centerpin might just not be making contact with the atomizer;

at this point what you need to check is whether there is any voltage output coming from the ipv by using a multimeter.
but again like with the tweezers, you have to be careful not to short out the connection with the metal of the probe when measuring the voltage.

So where do I put the probes? One on the center pin coming out of the 510, and one on the side of the 510 connection? Should I do this from the top or the inside? I have an extra set of hands to help me so it shouldn't be too much trouble as long as I know where I need to put the probes.

When I was testing voltage going through the atomizer, it did seem to cut off after a second or so of holding the button. I've read on another forum this could still be indicative of a short that is failing under load.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So where do I put the probes? One on the center pin coming out of the 510, and one on the side of the 510 connection? Should I do this from the top or the inside? I have an extra set of hands to help me so it shouldn't be too much trouble as long as I know where I need to put the probes.

When I was testing voltage going through the atomizer, it did seem to cut off after a second or so of holding the button. I've read on another forum this could still be indicative of a short that is failing under load.

1: an extra set of hands would be distinctly helpfull
2: check the centerpin and the side yes; and if the voltage is not coming there, then check for the voltage on the inside.

maybe the centerpin insulator got damaged and is shorting out at that point.

AgentZen

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
South FLA
1: an extra set of hands would be distinctly helpfull
2: check the centerpin and the side yes; and if the voltage is not coming there, then check for the voltage on the inside.

maybe the centerpin insulator got damaged and is shorting out at that point.
Gonna give this a shot when my second pair of hands wakes up from their nap! Thank you so much for your help.

The insulator is wet with juice ever since i put a crappy RDA on there a few months ago, so maybe it did deteriorate or something.

Will report back with findings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread