new to mechanical not vaping quistions please thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillzizzo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2015
west lebanon nh
Hello guys not sure were this thread goes. So i am a two year veteran to vaping. and not new to building my daily vapes are hana dna 40 with either erlkonigin, squape r, trident rda or veridas rda. I never use any thing but rebuildable. I have never owned a mechanical mod. all the math and calculations dont realy make sence to me and i own a bunch of high end regulated mods so never found a need.

I just ordered my first mechanical last night and have some quistions for you guys please. What i have ordered is a Vicious ant Phenom dark mod Phenom Dark Mod by Vicious Ant I will be using sony ctv5 cells Sony VTC5 18650 30A 2600 mAh IMR Battery

So my quistions are for these specific batterys and this specific mod. what is mathematically safe and not mathematically safe to use for builds for this set up. I will many be looking to build 0.4-0.8 ohm kanthal builds in veridas rda and viscious and kraken genesis. I never go lower then this ohm and rarely go higher if so would be 0.8-1.0. I build coils daily and have been for two years or so now.

I do know how to check ohm.s and battery volts and have equipment to check both. never have i checked or measure the drop between both combined never had the need to do so. I have been reading mechanical post and such for a long time and none of it realy seems to make much sence to me. I know this issue has been covered a million times by every one under the son.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Our resident battery maven, @Mooch, has tested the genuine Sony VTC5 and indicates that it's operating temperature is in the "safe" zone up to 15A, with "caution" for 20 and 25A and "fail" for 30A.

As you're lowest build net resistance is 0.4Ω, I'd not be overly concerned. You'd need to drop below .28Ω net to exceed the 15A safe rate, and even then you'd be in the lower "edge" of a caution rating.

Click the first sigline hyperlink below (Steam Engine: Basic & advanced user guide: Pts. one & two) and learn how to optimize your builds for best performance when using Ohm's law discharge parity values.

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Our resident battery maven, @Mooch, has tested the genuine Sony VTC5 and indicates that it's operating temperature is in the "safe" zone up to 15A, with "caution" for 20 and 25A and "fail" for 30A.

As you're lowest build net resistance is 0.4Ω, I'd not be overly concerned. You'd need to drop below .28Ω net to exceed the 15A safe rate, and even then you'd be in the lower "edge" of a caution rating.

Click the first sigline hyperlink below (Steam Engine: Basic & advanced user guide: Pts. one & two) and learn how to optimize your builds for best performance when using Ohm's law discharge parity values.

Not that there was any doubt, but just in case... State O' Flux hit the nail on the head, it's all sound advice.

Reactions: State O' Flux

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
So my quistions are for these specific batterys and this specific mod. what is mathematically safe and not mathematically safe to use for builds for this set up. I will many be looking to build 0.4-0.8 ohm kanthal builds in veridas rda and viscious and kraken genesis. I never go lower then this ohm and rarely go higher if so would be 0.8-1.0. I build coils daily and have been for two years or so now.

Battery safety aside, as thats already been addressed.. What wattage do you vape at on your DNA40?? This is an important factor here. Unlike a regulated mod, which will give you the wattage you want regardless of the resistance, the coil is now the most important part of the equation when it comes to a mech. I would get accustomed to Steam Engines ohms law calculator and learn it well. Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators This calculator is going to become your best friend. Set the power where you want it, and lock it. Then adjust the voltage to 4.2, itll tell you the resistance you need to get there as well as how many amps youll be pulling from your battery.. Keep in mind the wattage is going to drop as the battery's voltage does though.

I was a 20w vaper on my Sigelei Mini, so Im using a 0.8 ohm coil now, which starts me off around 22w with a fresh 4.2v battery and by the time the battery hits 3.7v the wattage has already dropped to about 17. Itll drop another 2 watts or so when it drops to 3.5v and when it starts getting there is when I know to pull the battery and put a new one in.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I run .25 ohms on vtc5 no problem, so a .4-.8 ohm build should be fine. Do yourself a favor though - don't use atomizers with a spring loaded connector on a semi hybrid (I don't have a phenom, but it looked like a semI hybrid), make sure the positive connector protrudes at least a mm below the negative, and put the hybrid ring on the atomizer before putting that onto the mod.

Separately, you may find that you need to use 3.6 to 3.8 volts as the figure to find your wattage, as any battery sags under load and the mod has some (hopefully low) resistance. It is still advisable to use 4.2 volts when considering amp draw.

Hello guys not sure were this thread goes. So i am a two year veteran to vaping. and not new to building my daily vapes are hana dna 40 with either erlkonigin, squape r, trident rda or veridas rda. I never use any thing but rebuildable. I have never owned a mechanical mod. all the math and calculations dont realy make sence to me and i own a bunch of high end regulated mods so never found a need.

I just ordered my first mechanical last night and have some quistions for you guys please. What i have ordered is a Vicious ant Phenom dark mod Phenom Dark Mod by Vicious Ant I will be using sony ctv5 cells Sony VTC5 18650 30A 2600 mAh IMR Battery

I do know how to check ohm.s and battery volts and have equipment to check both. never have i checked or measure the drop between both combined never had the need to do so. I have been reading mechanical post and such for a long time and none of it realy seems to make much sence to me. I know this issue has been covered a million times by every one under the son.

skillzizzo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2015
west lebanon nh
Thanks Godflesh. Wattage depends
Battery safety aside, as thats already been addressed.. What wattage do you vape at on your DNA40?? This is an important factor here. Unlike a regulated mod, which will give you the wattage you want regardless of the resistance, the coil is now the most important part of the equation when it comes to a mech. I would get accustomed to Steam Engines ohms law calculator and learn it well. Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators This calculator is going to become your best friend. Set the power where you want it, and lock it. Then adjust the voltage to 4.2, itll tell you the resistance you need to get there as well as how many amps youll be pulling from your battery.. Keep in mind the wattage is going to drop as the battery's voltage does though.

I was a 20w vaper on my Sigelei Mini, so Im using a 0.8 ohm coil now, which starts me off around 22w with a fresh 4.2v battery and by the time the battery hits 3.7v the wattage has already dropped to about 17. Itll drop another 2 watts or so when it drops to 3.5v and when it starts getting there is when I know to pull the battery and put a new one in.
On what I am using. My all day vape lattely is 21.5 watts at .8 ohm on dna with erlkoniging. I like that tank and is between .76 and .82 is the coil in there I like is 6 standard wraps on 7/64. For the phenom I will he using trident drama or veridas rda usual run .04 at around 35 watts in that rda.

skillzizzo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2015
west lebanon nh
Thanks for the reply guys I will have to check out some of the information more closely here soon. Mech is sitting in the box dropped in one battery for a few minutes sence I have owned it. Damn things scare me a little bit to be honest. Why I want to use it is for when I'm doing thing like fishing hiking carpentry ect that might kill my mods can't kill a mech only a battery don't want to blow my face of either thow.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
The VTC5 is a great cell. It gets hot at high load continuous drain, but that should have been known well before Mooch's tests (the temperatures are on the Sony VTC5 spec sheet). But it puts out a higher voltage under load than many other 18650s and so is a perfect battery for a mech mod.

ETA: you can build it low. The continuous drain rating is not realistic for the way a mod is used, so the battery will never actually get close to that temp unless it self fires for some reason. But you should take the battery out of a self-firing mod, regardless of its rating. But its not going to explode. I have seen them vent before (through dead short, not anything to do with a build). They just get real hot and the wrapper melts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread