ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Reactions: madangus

wjennings1977

Aug 2, 2015
Thank you, everyone !

Maybe I'm confused here, or I'm starting to get more than ankle-deep in this field. I've been scouring the internet here on my day off. Most of my searches for things like comparisons/differences between regular and sub-ohm vaping, how to get the best MTL hit for under $100 or ways to limit inconsistencies in vaping hits are all turning up graphs of Ohm's Law, judicial debates and walls of misrepresented data. I get it about understanding the basis of power draw versus resistance. Hell, I build computers in my off-time. I know how to pick out what power supply will give me enough head-space to allow upgrades etc. What's new to me is understanding resistance. I can learn it. What I do not want is to have to build coils or mechanical mods. I enjoy it, sure, but most of my time is spent with my family or for my family. Most of my me time is spent with my Jackson King V. If I do find that I have to get into sub-ohm vaping then I want to be able to buy pre-made coils for that endeavor, and remain consistent in the battery that I use. If possible, I just want good strong hits without having to worry about those things right now.

Let's say I want to stay on the verge of sub-ohm vaping, but not get into it. I'd pick a coil with resistance at 1.2 ohms or above, right? There's a .2 variation of ohms if I remember correctly. Anyhow, my current setup in this Kanger IPOW2 has a 1.7 ohm coil. Is there enough difference between the 1.7 and 1.5 to warrant the cost per what I am looking for? Could I put a 1.2 ohm coil in the subox, and get the correct battery in it and vape on with no concerns? Do these changes I'm talking about require extensive modifying of that system, or would they be more practical in another rig? I realize that after only vaping for six months now I'm making quite a leap here, but I know enough to put safety first in everything that I do. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Beit pointing to another setup... as long as the cost remains under $100. I'm sorry for all the questions, and I thank you all in advance.

Edit: Sorry about this being the first mention of the $100 limitation. Today, My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her about this. She's ecstatic about my choice, but put a $100 limit on it.

-Bill

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Anybody can use sub-ohm coils. I use them, but I don't tend to vape at sub-ohm watts.

In the old days, you more or less HAD to build sub-ohm coils to get over about 20 watts (?). These days, anything is possible. It makes very little difference if my coil is 0.5ohms or 1.5ohms... I just adjust to my needs.
Sub-ohm coils/tanks are designed for more airflow (which makes sense, of course) and most higher resistance coils go in M2L designed tanks.
For me (*for me*) there is no difference between a 1.6ohm coil and 1.8ohm coil (like Aspire BVC). There is a difference (maybe) between a 1.8 single coil and a 1.5 dual coil Kanger, but again, I'm not fussed.
I make my own coils to about 0.8-1.2.... but there's no science behind that really... it just seems to make sense to me. (0.8 for Subtank, 1.2 for Kayfun).

Reactions: madangus

wjennings1977

Aug 2, 2015
No worries bill, do you have a charger already?

I've not had a rig with removable batteries so I just charge via USB directly from my computers USB port that's specifically for charging devices.

I'm thinking of stopping at a few local vape shops today just to see if I can find these devices I want in store to personally check them out. I most likely won't buy from these chains since then tend to do at least a 20% markup on everything but coils and their house juice.

Here is some information I found on the net somewhere:

SUBTANK FEATURES
510 Drip Tip (Delrin)
OCC 0.5 Ohm, direct lung inhale from 15W to 60W
OCC 1.5 Ohm, mouth to lung inhale from 10W to 26W
Improved RBA, works in higher wattage and easy to assemble.
Subtank Mini with aqueous ceramic coating
New Airflow Design
Kbox Mini Output 50W supports 0.3 Ohm

K-BOX FEATURES
5 Speed click to switch on/off the battery
After the switch is on, OLED display "Kanger Tech" at stand by mode.
Press button "+" "-" to adjust the wattage output.
OLED display the battery level, resistance value and output wattage
Press "+" "-" together to adjust the orientation of display
Plug in Micro USB cord to charge the cell, OLED display charging state. Once fully charged, the OLED will go off.
User can vape and charge simultaneously.

K-BOX PROTECTION
Short circuit protection, OLED flash and display "0.0"
Atomizer open circuit, OLED flash and display "9.9"
Cell reverse protection, no power output when cell reverse.
PCB over temperature protection, and battery stop function and OLED display "Temp High"
10 second overtime usage protection, no power output and OLED display "10S OVER"
Cell capacity protection, when cell capacity drops to low, cell indicator will flash.

PACKAGE CONTENTS
1 x K-box Mini
1 x Subtank Mini
1 x OCC 0.5 Ohm coil
1 x OCC 1.5 Ohm coil
2 x RBA Coils
1 x Mini Plus Base
1 x RBA Base
1 x Japanese cotton sheet
1 x USB cable
1 x Screw Driver
2 X RBA deck screws
2 X Cover screws
1 x Manual

wjennings1977

Aug 2, 2015
I did it... well, my wife did! She bought me the Kanger Subox, 2 x EFest IMR 18650 LiMn 2800mAh 35A High Drain Batteries, an I4 Pro charger and two 20ml bottles of 6mg juice (it is PG, but I am planning on moving to VG... maybe). I got everything for under $120! Would have been under $100, but that charger was a bit more than we thought it was. I didn't realize that it came stock with the 0.5 ohm coil installed until I had already filled it. I don't have the wattage cranked all the way up (hanging out 30-35w), but the experience is so much better than I have been having. I'm actually getting the lingering flavor now.

I did do something a bit dumb... well, this was before I realized that the sub-ohm coil was in. I loaded my tank with 24mg chocolate and 24mg cool mint. Tried my first DL hit with that cocktail, and it had me on the worse coughing fit I have ever had. It almost felt like I took that first drag again 25 years later. Anyways... thanks a lot for the info and moreso for your patience. You're a kind lot, and I look forward to trading text with you all in the future.

-Bill

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I did it... well, my wife did! She bought me the Kanger Subox, 2 x EFest IMR 18650 LiMn 2800mAh 35A High Drain Batteries, an I4 Pro charger and two 20ml bottles of 6mg juice (it is PG, but I am planning on moving to VG... maybe). I got everything for under $120! Would have been under $100, but that charger was a bit more than we thought it was. I didn't realize that it came stock with the 0.5 ohm coil installed until I had already filled it. I don't have the wattage cranked all the way up (hanging out 30-35w), but the experience is so much better than I have been having. I'm actually getting the lingering flavor now.

I did do something a bit dumb... well, this was before I realized that the sub-ohm coil was in. I loaded my tank with 24mg chocolate and 24mg cool mint. Tried my first DL hit with that cocktail, and it had me on the worse coughing fit I have ever had. It almost felt like I took that first drag again 25 years later. Anyways... thanks a lot for the info and moreso for your patience. You're a kind lot, and I look forward to trading text with you all in the future.

-Bill

:w00t:
well you're off to a coughing start.

rule of thumb:
watts x milligrams = 100

so for 30 to 35 watt vaping you'd want to dilute your juice down to 3 to 6 mg or thereabouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread