Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There are some tc mods out now cheap enough just to get and try out and get your feet wet :p
$50 isn't cheap to me :p Plus I'd need to get new batteries, because I'm sure I'd want a dual 18650 mod. I don't really have an issue with dry hits, being a drip/squonker.

Reactions: TrollDragon

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I found one of your old geometry tests
View attachment 477795

math1.jpg

math2.jpg

math3.jpg

Andria

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The scope traces are showing the voltage levels. For vaping we would need a "temperature scope", be able to see how much the temp varies, it's what makes the vapor.

Voltage in this case equals power which is the issue. Back before I switched to mech mods I had a few PWM mods that ran at 33 Hz and I had no issues with them for that, even compared to mech mods which are IMO the ultimate in low noise power. Power applied to our juice affects both wire temp and vapor production, but IMO the variation is very small in our devices at the frequencies involved. But that's just my opinion and no one has ever actually measured this :)

In the end, some people can tell the difference and like one over the other, and some people can't tell the difference. I don't know if I can or not, I never did that experiment.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

LOL, that's priceless Andria :thumb:

Math fascinated me when I was in school, but I was never any good at it back then. I also thought I would never use it so what was the point of trying to 'get it'.

A decade later I was using a lot of math at work and it kinda grew on me.

That's probably why I'm such a nerdy vaper now :rolleyes:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I dont know about dirty signals or clean signal or any of that, Im a mechanic, not an avionics tech so all I can share is what I experienced with my vapes and what I thought of them.

With that out of the way, I tried the M80 Plus with a dripper tonight. Used my mutation X with a dual coil build on it ohming out at .55 ohms. With it at 430 I got some nasty dry hits. With it turned down to 400 F I got some hits that wasnt exactly dry hits but had that burnt taste but didnt burn the throat and make me choke like a dry hit does. More of a scorched hit than a dry hit. With the Mutation X only able to hold six drop before leaking, I was able to test it heavily tonight.

So does TC work on the Smok M80 Plus, well yes and no. With an RTA I got three times in a row where the TC protection worked. With a dripper, not so much. With that being said I dont think I would recommend the M80 Plus to anyone wanting to do TC. Too many mods out there that work far better at TC. In my opinion Smok is working hard to make this a true TC mod and would be worth watching what they come up with next to advance it in the TC market.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com

Hey her cousin taught me everything I know about skating when I was a kid haha. (Thats Jessica Alba innit?)

I remember my senior year in high school, I already had my math requirements done for graduation and decided to drop Trigonometry. When I went to have the teacher sign the form to drop he told me "This is probably the smartest thing youve done all semester".

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I remember my senior year in high school, I already had my math requirements done for graduation and decided to drop Trigonometry. When I went to have the teacher sign the form to drop he told me "This is probably the smartest thing youve done all semester".

Trig made sense to me in high school, it was statistics that I just couldn't get my head around. It's interesting how time can change things though.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Trig made sense to me in high school, it was statistics that I just couldn't get my head around. It's interesting how time can change things though.

Oh man.. When my mom went back to get her bachelors in nursing, which was actually around my junior/senior year, I remember her having to take statistics.. She showed me some of her homework and I took a look at the textbook and knew right then and there.. Me and higher math were gonna be enemies at some point down the line..

Which is funny. I went into audio recording in college.. Ive HAD to learn new math at various points along the way to deal with how sound is reproduced and reflected and all this other stuff. I guess its easier for me to learn it when it has a practical application I can use it for. Honestly I probably couldve finished the Trig class too, but my senior was like WOOOOHOOOO LETS PARTY!! So yeah..

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I dont know about dirty signals or clean signal or any of that, Im a mechanic, not an avionics tech so all I can share is what I experienced with my vapes and what I thought of them.

With that out of the way, I tried the M80 Plus with a dripper tonight. Used my mutation X with a dual coil build on it ohming out at .55 ohms. With it at 430 I got some nasty dry hits. With it turned down to 400 F I got some hits that wasnt exactly dry hits but had that burnt taste but didnt burn the throat and make me choke like a dry hit does. More of a scorched hit than a dry hit. With the Mutation X only able to hold six drop before leaking, I was able to test it heavily tonight.

So does TC work on the Smok M80 Plus, well yes and no. With an RTA I got three times in a row where the TC protection worked. With a dripper, not so much. With that being said I dont think I would recommend the M80 Plus to anyone wanting to do TC. Too many mods out there that work far better at TC. In my opinion Smok is working hard to make this a true TC mod and would be worth watching what they come up with next to advance it in the TC market.
That's what I was talking about earlier, where the algorithm they used would work under certain conditions, but alter any of them it becomes way off :p

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
As a kid you dont have a clue what the future holds for you. I had Trig and high school calculus and havent used any of that since. The most math I use now is like, I have a space that needs filled but with a .15 to .20 pinch fit so after measuring the space determine the shim size...whoopie.
The few occasional times I get to go flying I have to do a lot more math but it is still simple math. Fuel usage for a flight determined by estimated flight time against known fuel burn, airspeed minus headwind times estimated flight time, stuff like that and a lot more, but nothing like the advanced math I took in high school.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
That's what I was talking about earlier, where the algorithm they used would work under certain conditions, but alter any of them it becomes way off :p

I am fairly sure they are all using algorithms of one form or another because they sense resistance change, not actual temperature and with nickel and titanium wire its far easier to predict what a coils resistance will do versus kanthal and all its many sizes available. Eventually they will find a way to TC with Kanthal and many of us will be happy to see it.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
As a kid you dont have a clue what the future holds for you. I had Trig and high school calculus and havent used any of that since. The most math I use now is like, I have a space that needs filled but with a .15 to .20 pinch fit so after measuring the space determine the shim size...whoopie.
The few occasional times I get to go flying I have to do a lot more math but it is still simple math. Fuel usage for a flight determined by estimated flight time against known fuel burn, airspeed minus headwind times estimated flight time, stuff like that and a lot more, but nothing like the advanced math I took in high school.

Hahaha yeah Ive never been at the grocery store and had to figure out a cosine to pay for my groceries! My highest math in junior high was algebra but apparently I didnt place high enough to skip it and start algebra II my freshman year or I wouldve been taking calculus my senior year instead of trig which I wouldve taken a year earlier like the other honors kids. Sometimes even these vaping formulas throw me off cause Im used to looking at alot of this wattage/voltage/power/frequency as something like a speaker response or the way an amp works. I see those pictures of the PWM charts and think "man that amps got problems, didnt they bias the power tubes right?"

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I am fairly sure they are all using algorithms of one form or another because they sense resistance change, not actual temperature and with nickel and titanium wire its far easier to predict what a coils resistance will do versus kanthal and all its many sizes available. Eventually they will find a way to TC with Kanthal and many of us will be happy to see it.
The m80 doesn't adjust according to resistance change.... That is not measurable by the chips in even the most expensive mods on kanthal. With Ti and Ni, the tcr coefficient is a known quantity, with that, and a known starting temp, measuring the change in resistance is pretty accurate for figuring temp.... The m80 is relying solely on a guestimate algorithm... No actual measurement is taking place. This is why it worked do poorly for you on an rda

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
LOL, that's priceless Andria :thumb:

Math fascinated me when I was in school, but I was never any good at it back then. I also thought I would never use it so what was the point of trying to 'get it'.

A decade later I was using a lot of math at work and it kinda grew on me.

That's probably why I'm such a nerdy vaper now :rolleyes:

I never liked ANYTHING! with numbers in it... then I ended up in a small "biz school" and got thru Bus. Math I so fast, the teacher suggested I take Bus. Math II, so I did, and got thru it just as fast as Bus. Math I... which totally amazed me (I got thru both of them in the time the rest of the class was taking Bus Math I). So he suggested I take Bus. Math III the next term... I was reluctant, but he said it would complement College Accounting that I was also taking, so I said ok, and I did as well at that one as the first 2 (4.0!), though it did take the full term for that one (mortgage amortization, depreciation of assets, is also fairly esoteric!).

What I learned from that is that I can do arithmetic JUST FINE; I can even handle formulas and equations IF THEY RELATE TO SOME ACTUAL THING instead of just the usual theoretical not-real-world that math usually resides in -- but it's always GOT TO BE something ACTUAL, not just numbers someone pulled out of their ..... To me, all this electrical/electronic stuff is very much in the theoretical not-real-world, it's nothing I can see or touch or count, it's just this magical force passing thru a wire -- nothing at all like paying bills or buying groceries or budgeting for that sort of real-world stuff.

So I guess it's safe to say that I can handle arithmetic and even simple mathematics if they apply to actual physical stuff, but once you drag it out of tangibility into "just plain math," I lose interest, I lose focus, I lose the ability to see how it relates to anything actual -- it's just digits arranged in mysterious ways that mean nothing to me, and give me a headache if I persist in trying to understand them as if they're actually real things.

Sorta like this...
math3.jpg

:D
Andria

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
When I got to this part:

To me, all this electrical/electronic stuff is very much in the theoretical not-real-world, it's nothing I can see or touch or count, it's just this magical force passing thru a wire -- nothing at all like paying bills or buying groceries or budgeting for that sort of real-world stuff.

I almost peed myself laughing.

:lol::lol::lol:

There's magic in thim ther wires boys!!!

Are magnets where they keep magic that's not in use...

Andria, you are awesome:thumbs:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
When I got to this part:

I almost peed myself laughing.

:lol::lol::lol:

There's magic in thim ther wires boys!!!

Are magnets where they keep magic that's not in use...

Andria, you are awesome:thumbs:

ROFL.... I fergit if it was Azimov or Arthur C. Clark, but it's an amazing quote: "Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic."

We don't think about the current our houses are attached to, the enormous infrastructure that makes it all possible (until some yahoo hits a pole and brings it all crashing down, anyway), we just flip a switch... MAGIC! We have light/sound/whatever we want, at the touch of a button or toggle-switch. Something you can't see or otherwise perceive is very much like a magical force -- it's certainly not tactile, because touching electricity is a REALLY bad idea... :D

So it's a theoretical measurement of a non-tactile force. Far more than THIS brain can deal with. :D

Andria

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
electrons are just tiny little bits if energy. Very very very tiny. They are 1/3 of the stuff that makes up matter. You have protons neutrons and electrons. Normally electrons are attached to an Atoms but some Atoms have electrons that don't stick to them very well.

Electricity is just electrons on their way to another Atom.

If you want to think about electrons like something you can see, imagine they are little ball bearings.

A very good conductor could be equated to a length of PVC pipe. The ball bearings could flow through it without any interference getting from one end to the other.

Now if you were to put a piece of open cell foam in the pipe the ball bearings could still get through but they would have to bump into a lot of things before they could make it through to the other side. All that bumping into things would be friction and generate heat, all because you added resistance to the flow.

Reactions: misswish1

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
electrons are just tiny little bits if energy. Very very very tiny. They are 1/3 of the stuff that makes up matter. You have protons neutrons and electrons. Normally electrons are attached to an Atoms but some Atoms have electrons that don't stick to them very well.

If you want to think about electrons like something you can see, imagine they are little ball bearings.

A very good conductor could be equated to a length of PVC pipe. The ball bearings could flow through it without any interference getting from one end to the other.

Now if you were to put a piece of open cell foam in the pipe the ball bearings could still get through but they would have to bump into a lot of things before they could make it through to the other side. All that bumping into things would be friction and generate heat, all because you added resistance to the flow.

Sounds good so far. It's when you start making equations where the letter variables bear no relationship to the properties being discussed that I have problems. Whoever thought it was a good idea to use letters for FRENCH words, all I have to say is: :pervy:pltltltltp! I don't speak french, nor do I need to!

I can't hold it in my mind for more than a few seconds at a time, so I give up. Not even gonna go there; migraines aren't pleasant.

Andria

Reactions: Boden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread