Not open for further replies.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I want to start rebuilding, I don't have a ohm meter. But my Sig Mini 30w has one built in, and it goes down to .3ohm . Can I use it. Would it be safe!

Its not really ideal. The display doesnt update and wont show you the resistance until you actually fire the mod. Something like an MVP2 you can push a button on the display to show you the resistance without actually firing the mod, thats the only thing I still keep my MVP2 around for. My Vamo v7 you can hit the fire button real quick without firing it and it will show you too. But these SX chips dont update until its fired. Say you had a coil on it that was 1.5, you take your atty off and throw a .5 in it. Hit the button real quick to turn it on, and it will still say 1.5. Now hold it down and actually fire the mod, the display will update and show you the new reading. At least its regulated, so youve got short protection, but its kind of annoying having to actually fire it to read it. The ipv Mini is the same way since it uses the same chipset.

808Cloud

Aug 3, 2015
Its not really ideal. The display doesnt update and wont show you the resistance until you actually fire the mod. Something like an MVP2 you can push a button on the display to show you the resistance without actually firing the mod, thats the only thing I still keep my MVP2 around for. My Vamo v7 you can hit the fire button real quick without firing it and it will show you too. But these SX chips dont update until its fired. Say you had a coil on it that was 1.5, you take your atty off and throw a .5 in it. Hit the button real quick to turn it on, and it will still say 1.5. Now hold it down and actually fire the mod, the display will update and show you the new reading. At least its regulated, so youve got short protection, but its kind of annoying having to actually fire it to read it. The IPV Mini is the same way since it uses the same chipset.
Thank You for clarifying that with me. Do you know of any good ohm meters out there that are descent. I know those small square black ones are common. Looking for something that wont break on me. I also seen on youtube alot of people doing builds on top of these black ohm meters.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Thank You for clarifying that with me. Do you know of any good ohm meters out there that are descent. I know those small square black ones are common. Looking for something that wont break on me. I also seen on youtube alot of people doing builds on top of these black ohm meters.

Id just grab one of those probably. Like I said I still have my old MVP2 so I can throw an atty on there, hit two buttons and see the resistance easy, then I know I can throw it on my mod. Even if its lower than the MVP will actually fire itll still read it. Ive never bothered buying an actual ohm meter myself, I have a Fluke I can always use to check em too so I never felt th need to get one hehe.

The Sigelei probably would work in a pinch though. I mean if you made a bad coil, the Sigs going to do one of two things. Your coil is either going to pop and the Sig will stop firing, or the Sigelei just wont fire at all. If youve got a case of a loose positive pin or coil leg, youll be able to watch the Sig freak out and jump up and down in voltage but its protected so it will only go so far and wont let it get out of hand to an unsafe point. I dry burn all my Kanthal coils before wicking anyways to start building up the insulation on em so until you get an actual ohm meter you can get away with using it. A short pulse to update the display wont kill you since its got plenty of protection built in. Now, if you were talking about a mech than yes Id say you NEED a dedicated ohm meter. I just got my first one, but even though I trust Steam Engine well enough to help me build a working coil, Ill still be throwing my drippers on the MVP to check first before they go on it.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I wrecked my first ohmmeter, probably from building on it. I recommend building on a threaded 510 atty stand so you aren't jacking around the 510 on your mod or ohmmeter.

I'm using a USA ohmmeter now, but some attys aren't connecting, like the Erlkonigin. Then I have to use a DMM to check my build.

Reactions: MikeyConti

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
I wrecked my first ohmmeter, probably from building on it. I recommend building on a threaded 510 atty stand so you aren't jacking around the 510 on your mod or ohmmeter.

I'm using a USA ohmmeter now, but some attys aren't connecting, like the Erlkonigin. Then I have to use a DMM to check my build.

Wow never heard of USA ohmmeter.. just looking at USA OHM METERS and want the Fire Meter so bad!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread