What SUBOHM Mod Should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dark horse rda and a magma rda, currently on non sub ohm MVP 20 watt boxes. I'm really wanting to get into subohm (nothing crazy) so I can have some warmer hits and more power.

I was really considering getting the MVP 3.0 PRO, which is around 60 dollars, I think they're 80 watts maybe? The regular 3.0 is 30 watts.

From your experiences, what are some really good mods that are under 100 dollars? Maybe even really good clones?.. I'm not sure if having removable batteries is safer or more unsafe than a rechargeable MVP? Do you guys?.. Really needing some inputs.

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Where you least expect it....
I went ahead and got the MVP pro, they have an ohm reader, and I do understand gauged wire and how ohms works with all that. I'm not going to be building anything crazy, as I don't like it super hot, and also use the calculator they have online for number of wraps, etc. Also has short protection and an automatic shut off. I'm a huge fan of MVP.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I only have 2 drippers built to run over 50 watts. Most of them fire fine in the 35 - 50W range, so you don't need a lot of power. On the flip side, if you get a higher powered mod and run it at half it's max, it will likely last a lot longer. There are a lot of 75 - 100W mods out there now for around $50 - $75. Check out this website. It automatically searches all the top sites for you and finds the best price on the gear you are looking for.
Vapecrawler

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
There are a ton of affordable box mods available that'll handle sub-ohming for you. If you want high wattages and TC, check out the IPV4, IPV3 Li, Snow Wolf 200, Sigelei 150TC, Sigelei 75w, and I'm sure I'm missing more. None of those should run you over $100 & 18650 batteries are cheap. If you don't care about TC, check out the IPV Mini 2, Sigelei 100w+ & 150w, Sigelei 50w Vr2, IPV3, etc.
There are plenty of boxes that are 40w & under that'll handle sub ohm and or TC, like the vaporsharks, HB DNA40, IPV Mini, Sigelei mini, cloupor mini, etc.
if you're willing to spend over $150, check out the SX Mini M class, DNA 200 mods, the CloudMaker Whiteout.
That should be an ample list of mods to check out, I forgot the eleaf iSticks, the 30w, 40w TC, & (sometimes prone to explosion 50w).

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I have an IPV3 and have never once used it's capacity of 150 watts. Am currently using a build of .4 ohms on it and rarely go above about 35 watts. Now as I'm discussing it not even sure why I bought it. Think the idea of more power seemed like a good idea at the time. It is a good mod and has worked flawlessly for me. And if I ever decide I need 150 watts I guess it's there for me.

Reactions: suprtrkr

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I have an IPV3 and have never once used it's capacity of 150 watts. Am currently using a build of .4 ohms on it and rarely go above about 35 watts. Now as I'm discussing it not even sure why I bought it. Think the idea of more power seemed like a good idea at the time. It is a good mod and has worked flawlessly for me. And if I ever decide I need 150 watts I guess it's there for me.
It all depends on what you build. In my Petri atty, I'm running dual fused 26/36g N80 claptons, 8 wraps each on a 2.5mm bit. The build comes out to a .18-.2ohm build on my Sig100w, but to reach 4.2v, I need 82w on my regulated mod. At 4.2v I get the warm, thick vape I like. Sometimes power is needed to get rid of ramp up time and power more intricate/larger coils.
image.jpg

My Sig100 is the most powerful mod I currently own, but I do have a CloudMaker whiteout SX (150w YiHi sx350j chip, dual 18650 in series) on preorder, should get to me in Sept.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
It all depends on what you build. In my Petri atty, I'm running dual fused 26/36g N80 claptons, 8 wraps each on a 2.5mm bit. The build comes out to a .18-.2ohm build on my Sig100w, but to reach 4.2v, I need 82w on my regulated mod. At 4.2v I get the warm, thick vape I like. Sometimes power is needed to get rid of ramp up time and power more intricate/larger coils. View attachment 477917
My Sig100 is the most powerful mod I currently own, but I do have a CloudMaker whiteout SX (150w YiHi sx350j chip, dual 18650 in series) on preorder, should get to me in Sept.
nice build!

Reactions: Tom Forde

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    There are a ton of affordable box mods available that'll handle sub-ohming for you. If you want high wattages and TC, check out the IPV4, IPV3 Li, Snow Wolf 200, Sigelei 150TC, Sigelei 75w, and I'm sure I'm missing more. None of those should run you over $100 & 18650 batteries are cheap. If you don't care about TC, check out the IPV Mini 2, Sigelei 100w+ & 150w, Sigelei 50w Vr2, IPV3, etc.
    There are plenty of boxes that are 40w & under that'll handle sub ohm and or TC, like the vaporsharks, HB DNA40, IPV Mini, Sigelei mini, cloupor mini, etc.
    if you're willing to spend over $150, check out the SX Mini M class, DNA 200 mods, the CloudMaker Whiteout.
    That should be an ample list of mods to check out, I forgot the eleaf iSticks, the 30w, 40w TC, & (sometimes prone to explosion 50w).

Yeah, I rarely go above 35w on a .4 ohm build..... Lots of power really isn't needed for a good strong vape (good clouds/flavor).

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    The MVP is a great mod, I'm sure it will work well for you. +1 on you likely finding finding a home in the 30 watt range, and +1000 on the ohmmeter. They're cheap, and your safety is not. Try coiling your Dark Horse in the .65~.7 range and hitting it 27~32 watts. That's where I have mine and I hit it on a mech which makes those watts depending on battery state. With the chuff if clouds enough to fog out my room in 3 or 4 puffs, and the flavor makes my eyes water :)

Last edited:

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    I would check out the new Kangertech Subox mini kit. It comes with the new subtank mini which is sub ohm and a 50w box mod. It is also affordable and can be found for only 59.99
    love my subox, but not the best box for use with a dripper - with the fixed 510 pin connection, can be a little finicky about other attys (it really likes its subtank, but sometimes not so much with other toppers) - kanger is supposed to be releasing a v2 with a spring loaded pin

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    love my subox, but not the best box for use with a dripper - with the fixed 510 pin connection, can be a little finicky about other attys (it really likes its subtank, but sometimes not so much with other toppers) - kanger is supposed to be releasing a v2 with a spring loaded pin

Yeah, I love the subox and I don't even own one lol....... What I mean by that is that I was allured and swayed by the higher power of the IPV as I was having a difficult time when I purchased my IPV on deciding between the subox or the ipv. I went with the ipv because I figured that I would need the extra power, which so far I was wrong about because I never use that much power............ No, I am NOT getting shinyitis but one day soon I may get the subox as I know they are nice units. I have some other mods but most of them are too low powered for my liking and so I figure an extra mod I like is a good thing for backup sake.

EDIT: "Maybe" I am getting shinyitis :eek:

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    I bought a Snow Wolf because I am a mekkie at heart and I never had a high powered regulated box, and because I knew I'd want to try TC some day. Buying the SW got me both in one box and price tag, and the reviews here on the board on the TC function were glowing. So the great day came, and Vape Mail dropped it on me. I slammed it full of VTC4s, bolted a Lemo 2 coiled .5 Kanthal on top, ran the watts to 35, just where my mechs would hit it, and had a vape. It was smooth and wonderful. So, I cranked her up to 100 watts and got a lungful of scald-my-lips, blow-me-up-like-a-balloon vapor. Three hits of that were enough to convince me high power is not where my vape lies. I ran it back down and haven't been over 40 watts since, although I'll probably run it up to 70 (the max) in TC mode if I ever get around to Claptoning some Ni wire. Not long ago I bought an SX Mini M to get TC into the car with me-- I think the SW is a bit too large for that duty, I only vape it here at my desk-- and haven't even considered buying the extension tube so I can run the watts out to 120. A single battery does me just fine, thank you. I'm glad I tried. I wouldn't have missed the experience. I love my SW, it's a great machine. It's super to know I have all that horsepower under the hood if I ever feel like tromping on the gas pedal. But that's not me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AXIOM_1

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Yeah, I love the subox and I don't even own one lol....... What I mean by that is that I was allured and swayed by the higher power of the IPV as I was having a difficult time when I purchased my IPV on deciding between the subox or the ipv. I went with the ipv because I figured that I would need the extra power, which so far I was wrong about because I never use that much power............ No, I am NOT getting shinyitis but one day soon I may get the subox as I know they are nice units. I have some other mods but most of them are too low powered for my liking and so I figure an extra mod I like is a good thing for backup sake.

*denial*
    :lol:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014

"Maybe?"

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread