AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Too much to read, so not sure if anybody else said something similar:
I think the MTL tanks that are out there already have exhausted the possibilities for anything new/improved/different. The nautilus is just about the best thing with prefab coils. The Kayfun is hard to beat for a rebuildable. @AndriaD is always touting the Achilles for a MTL dripper. Outside of that, I don't think there is much room for improvement. You can only do so much with a tank designed to make a single mouthful of smoke at a time. Plus, the money is in cloud chasing. Everybody wants to grab a mod and chuck clouds these days.

I love my Achilles!!!! :thumbs:

Tight-draw, MtL;
AMAZING TH, allowing lower nicotine level without "weakening" the vape;
Top-fill, no "vacuum" issues since it's an RDA;
Holds 2.5ml;
NEVER leaks;
Titanium, so VERY light;
Builds just like a Kayfun (easy peasy!).

It's pretty much cured me of tanks. :thumb:

Andria

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It's only natural that those that have vaped for a while have found what they like, so they don't need to buy new gear anymore. (or at least not as often) Planed obsolescence is the only way the get us to spend more money.
    Lets face it, if everyone wrapped their own coils & made their own juices, the industry would fold in a week!

The market is geared for attracting new vapers, and that means products that spark their imagination.
    ... Big clouds, and fancy juices ...

Wow1420

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    And perhaps there's some commercial motive as well. Shops have cloud chasing competitions - and have their highest markup on juice. VG is cheaper than nic...

And like @DavidOck pointed out, the shops mark up juice more than anything else, so they would rather sell the subohm gear.

Manufactures practicing planned obsolescence and retailers pushing juice guzzlers. That explains it all.

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    Yeah, true. But there's no money in the cheap disposable gear. The manufacturers aren't researching it and a lot of shops are phasing it out for that reason. I have a variety of gear. A few tootle puffers, some mid range stuff and some cloud chasing attys. I use them all just about daily, but my KF's are my ADV gear. I like them better than the cheap lil throw aways. But even the KF's are getting harder to find in shops around here because the market is demanding fog machines with prefab coils. And like @DavidOck pointed out, the shops mark up juice more than anything else, so they would rather sell the subohm gear. It's an industry geared towards huge profit margins and tootle puffers are an established bunch who mostly don't want the "new shiny" things. Like @Boden said:

...and there's no $ in that.
    I'll agree to that. Although all the shops around here have both. They start off current smokers with ego twists and clearomisers and then slowly work them up to the larger tanks.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
    Jun 9, 2015
    Texas
    Half the shops I've been to lately have started getting rid of the gear almost entirely and are just pushing juice. There's one owned by the same folks that make Suicide Bunny juice. I stopped in there the other day looking for some Ni200. They had 3 walls full of juice and one small display case marked "clearance" with a half dozen of last years drippers in it for around $50/ea. (Clearance??? @ $50???? REALLLLLYYY????) I stopped in my old fave for the 1st time in about 2 months and they had gone from an entire shelf full of mods and another full of toppers, to one half shelf, half full of just the top selling sub tanks and reg'd mods and a couple of the newest RDA's. But they were stocked up on $25/30mL bottles of "premium" juices. They still have a few egos and cheap et-s's but they are kinda hidden in the back of the store. I asked for some nickel wire and they tried to sell me the KT subtank (for $49.95) with nickel heads ($25/5 pack) and said rebuilding for yourself is too much hassle. Why not just buy these? Smdh... Thank goodness for online retailers.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Half the shops I've been to lately have started getting rid of the gear almost entirely and are just pushing juice. There's one owned by the same folks that make Suicide Bunny juice. I stopped in there the other day looking for some Ni200. They had 3 walls full of juice and one small display case marked "clearance" with a half dozen of last years drippers in it for around $50/ea. (Clearance??? @ $50???? REALLLLLYYY????) I stopped in my old fave for the 1st time in about 2 months and they had gone from an entire shelf full of mods and another full of toppers, to one half shelf, half full of just the top selling sub tanks and reg'd mods and a couple of the newest RDA's. But they were stocked up on $25/30mL bottles of "premium" juices. They still have a few egos and cheap et-s's but they are kinda hidden in the back of the store. I asked for some nickel wire and they tried to sell me the KT subtank (for $49.95) with nickel heads ($25/5 pack) and said rebuilding for yourself is too much hassle. Why not just buy these? Smdh... Thank goodness for online retailers.

They're starting to dry up too.

coolerat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2015
    Verona,NY
    Gear is a loser for stores. Lately it changes so fast by the time they are fully stocked its obsolete.

I will say Aspire is good with backwards compatibility but even that only goes so far as the old starts dragging down the new. Dewalt faced this with the 18v system. Finally they had to just cut everything off and change it. While it seemed good at the time long term I'm not sure.

If I was a tootle puffer I'd have a Kabuki with nickel coils and never wonder what was next.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
    I can understand that MTL has supposedly been explored to its fullest and there's no need for new gear. What I don't understand is why MTL gear is getting harder and harder to find. I feel like I've found a place to belong, only to discover its no longer being maintained.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    That's why I grabbed a coupe of KF's. As long as there is kanthal and cotton, I can MTL.

Exactly this, is why I stuck with Kayfuns for so long. With the Achilles I get almost all the goodness of a KF (except the 4.5ml tank of course) but also have moved past that vacuum-seal thing so I can top-fill -- soooooo much better, I don't even mind the more-frequent refills.

I know there are those who top-fill kayfuns, but I tried it once and wasted about 3ml of juice... I'm just not that coordinated! But that constant taking off the mod and fiddling with a tiny screw got VERY tiresome.

Andria

Reactions: Katdarling

coolerat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2015
    Verona,NY
    I can understand online shops not selling starter gear. A new vaper needs someone to show them how things work. For a B&M shop to neglect drawing in smokers who want to quit seems rather odd.

They are only drying up by the standards you have set for yourself.

Out in the real non-innerweb world about 99.99% of people I see who have quit smoking in the last 6 months are doing it with Atlantis class tanks and box mods.

Hang out in different vape shops, most have lounges, and just people watch. For every person wanting a CE4 and Ego on the one hand and the latest RDA/RTA on the other there are dozens just wanting a single Atlantis (class, by local preference) coil and bottle of juice. The volume a busy vape shop does is stunning. 5 bucks for a coil and 20ish for juice and its crazy.

In some ways I'm slightly jealous of these folks. I know a bunch of these folks. All the excitement is gone from vaping. Buy a 30-50 watt box and a sub ohm tank, they give you a bottle of juice, and smoking is gone forever. They never talk of flooding or dry hits or ohms law or cloning or P-thingies or blue foam or any of the innernet things. Just screw in a new coil every couple weeks and try new flavors.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I've tried it. Seen all the "how-tos". Asked for advice. I still end up with a chimney full of juice every time. :(

I just ended up with a handful, as it ran right out the airhole. So I blew it out... about 3ml.

Andria

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

Out in the real non-innerweb world about 99.99% of people I see who have quit smoking in the last 6 months are doing it with Atlantis class tanks and box mods.

Hang out in different vape shops, most have lounges, and just people watch. For every person wanting a CE4 and Ego on the one hand and the latest RDA/RTA on the other there are dozens just wanting a single Atlantis (class, by local preference) coil and bottle of juice. The volume a busy vape shop does is stunning. 5 bucks for a coil and 20ish for juice and its crazy.

In some ways I'm slightly jealous of these folks. I know a bunch of these folks. All the excitement is gone from vaping. Buy a 30-50 watt box and a sub ohm tank, they give you a bottle of juice, and smoking is gone forever. They never talk of flooding or dry hits or ohms law or cloning or P-thingies or blue foam or any of the innernet things. Just screw in a new coil every couple weeks and try new flavors.

That's the point, "the standards" some of us have were established years ago. The one year old Atlantis, or the six month old Sub Tank don't fit into the equation.

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY

I think you quoted the wrong person.

That said, I think it depends where you live. Around here most vapers are 30 or older. They want to vape like they smoked. Most think big plumes of vapor is obnoxious and want MTL tanks and ego type battery's. There are a few younger (late 20s) that hang out at the juice bar at the one shop that has one. They are the only people I see with box mods and drippers.

Different places different demographics.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
    Jun 9, 2015
    Texas
    I don't need 10 of them
    Lol! Me either. Was just an easy to find example. It's a 2 piece deal. Bottom piece screws on in place of the top cap. Top piece pops off similar ti the cap on a RDA. Stick a narrow tip bottle in the hole, fill, put the top cap back on. I've only ever seen one ITRW, but it looked like a decent solution to the bottom fill problem.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread