Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well I have dm Viskose in most of my daily rotation now. The Big German, Silverplay, FeV V3 & VS, both Roses, KF4 and KF 3.1. I am not a longevity type person, I have flavor ADD and have not found my one true ADV. I love the wicking ability and heat resilience of Rayon much better than cotton. One dry hit with the cotton and its gone where Rayon will take a decent dry hit or even two without having to change the wick.

The dm Viskose is a little harder to use than the Sally's IMHO. The dm fibers will break apart very easily once the ball is rolled open. If you handle the dm carefully and work its fibers into a bundle, you will end up with a nice sturdy wick.

Here is one of my Roses wicked with dm Viskose.
rq5XCZQ.jpg

The wick tails are split and trimmed, then it's all ready to go.
JIh4xLr.jpg

Wicking perfectly at 20W and the flavor is exceptional, but then the Rose does provide an exceptional flavor to start with. :D

For the price of a bag of dm Viskose balls at 0.95 €/100, the people in Europe really have an excellent source.
Thanks again to @slavkov for very generously sharing his Rayon with those of us on the other side of the pond.
:toast:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I re-wicked it, making it significantly less dense and didn't roll it in my palms. I also reduced the tails to by around 70-80%. I've only taken a few of hits, tasted the nutty taste in the 2nd hit and the nutty taste after taste is reduced drastically, just a hint. I'll keep this wick for a few hours and try again if I feel the nuttyness is still there.
20150804_182723_zpsi50lxmu9.jpg

Feel free to critique, I'd like to know if there's anything else I can do to improve it.
I cut the tails like this and it works quite well

WgDo47h.png

Reactions: Cacique

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
Did you mean my coils? If so they're just a few weeks old and gunky. I should dig out the wire and see if I have enough to rebuild it.

So far I think I'm liking the rayon better. I'm not sure if I have the wicking 100% yet, but the taste seems cleaner and I was able to start vaping at 95w again. The flavor tastes better than it did with cotton after I brought it all the way down to 60w. For some reason, it feels like the vape is easier on my throat too, as I've been feeling a little harsh these last couple of days. Now I'm just not sure if I want the huge box from Sally's, if I can find it, or order a smaller one online. How big exactly is this box? Lol

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Why are your coils rusting? Is that Temco kanthal?
I don't know if it is Temco or not as the 100' roll I have came from Lightning Vapes. I do vape some Dr Fog MaxVG juice in the Rose and I believe it has a distilled water content to reduce the viscosity.

That coil has been in there for a few months as well with repeated dry burns and rinses under tap water. Probably time to change it out.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Did you mean my coils? If so they're just a few weeks old and gunky. I should dig out the wire and see if I have enough to rebuild it.

So far I think I'm liking the rayon better. I'm not sure if I have the wicking 100% yet, but the taste seems cleaner and I was able to start vaping at 95w again. The flavor tastes better than it did with cotton after I brought it all the way down to 60w. For some reason, it feels like the vape is easier on my throat too, as I've been feeling a little harsh these last couple of days. Now I'm just not sure if I want the huge box from Sally's, if I can find it, or order a smaller one online. How big exactly is this box? Lol
No I was talking to TrollDragon, your coils are a bit gunky.
I don't know if it is Temco or not as the 100' roll I have came from Lightning Vapes. I do vape some Dr Fog MaxVG juice in the Rose and I believe it has a distilled water content to reduce the viscosity.

That coil has been in there for a few months as well with repeated dry burns and rinses under tap water. Probably time to change it out.
I believe LV kanthal is Temco, I was just making sure it wasn't some random Chinese manufactured wire. Never had a coil rust like that but I also don't vape any liquid with distilled water.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA

The 500ft [HASHTAG]#44060[/HASHTAG] is about a 9" cube - perfect footstool size! :laugh:

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
So just a little off topic question. All things being equal between size and wattage of a mod, would you choose the $70 mod with a replaceable 18650 or the $40 mod with the internal 2600mah battery?

EASY - the one with the replaceable 18650.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
So just a little off topic question. All things being equal between size and wattage of a mod, would you choose the $70 mod with a replaceable 18650 or the $40 mod with the internal 2600mah battery?
You looking for long term use or ease if use? I have both, and almost always grab the one with the internal battery because it's easier.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
You looking for long term use or ease if use? I have both, and almost always grab the one with the internal battery because it's easier.
Well, I'd like it to last but I know that an internal would only last about a year to a year and a half. However, I'm comfortable opening up a mod and re-soldering a new battery in a dead ones place. I really don't have a need for temp control so the real difference between the 2 I'm eyeing is the battery. Both are aluminum and both are small.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Agreed on the VT. I have used mine exclusively for the past month and have never had an issue. I think most of the "problems" are user error, topper error, or just unfamiliarity with TC in general.

I am usually at 1/2 battery at the end of a full day including 8 hours at work and time at home. It is kinda odd not being tied to a USB port/charger like my older 18650 VV/VW device. I have gone 2+ days of vaping and still have a little under 1/8 of battery meter left.

The ego mega is not really that good unless you rebuild the stock head to about a 3mm juice hole on each side or go with the rebuildable coils. As far as other devices my KF4, all rdas, and my ST mini (RBA build) have performed flawlessly on the VT. I use ni200 to wrap my coils and range from 0.7-0.16 ohms. The 0.07 was an experimental twisted 28ga coil that does really well in one of my older rdas with "too much airflow".

I have never seen the VT go up in ohms, but I have seen it go down which leads to a cooler vape. A quick toggle of the jog wheel gets me back in business.

My only real nag is that I wished it had the option to force "new coil/same coil". That is a minor complaint in my book and by no means a deal breaker.

A solid mod IMO.
Fyi..... The clr coils really brought life back to my ego one mega tank.... It's still a noisy beast, but zero wicking issues, AND better flavor.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I have 3 usb chargers set up next to my desk. There's a 4 slot intellicharger there, too. At work, I have 2 usb chargers and a 2 slot charger.

At present, I have 11 devices with internal batteries, 20 18xxx devices, and 1 AAA device. I grab a couple internal devices when I leave home, and vape the 18xxx at home. I also rotate through the internal battery devices so I only have to charge a couple at a time.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Reality check:

1. Current technology is outdated in 6 months

2. Most of us suffer from shinitis. We need the latest breakthrough

3. If a mod with internal battery lasts you a full day and you can charge it while you sleep, swapping batteries becomes unnecessary.

I used to think about my mods as "this will last me for years..." yeah, sure... Until the next best thing appears weeks later.

I wouldn't base my mod choice on replaceable batteries or long-term use. It will be obsolete in 6 months anyway.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

EyesoreJr

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
Steeler Country
Reality check:

1. Current technology is outdated in 6 months

2. Most of us suffer from shinitis. We need the latest breakthrough

3. If a mod with internal battery lasts you a full day and you can charge it while you sleep, swapping batteries becomes unnecessary.

I used to think about my mods as "this will last me for years..." yeah, sure... Until the next best thing appears weeks later.

I wouldn't base my mod choice on replaceable batteries or long-term use. It will be obsolete in 6 months anyway.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
You make a great point here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread