Affect of A.P. in non-tobacco recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I am trying to find out how the overall taste of a recipe changes with the addition of A.P. (Acetyl Pyrazine), particularly in non-tobacco recipes.

Please could you share your experiences of this molecule and how it changes the taste of your recipe.

Ideally a comparison of the exact same recipe with the exception of one having A.P. and one not.

For example:
Recipe A
TFA Vanilla Cupcake 3.6%
FA Fresh Cream 1%
TFA Strawberry (ripe) 5%
TFA Toasted Marshmallow 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 1%

Recipe B
TFA Vanilla Cupcake 3.6%
FA Fresh Cream 1%
TFA Strawberry (ripe) 5%
TFA Toasted Marshmallow 1%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 1%
TFA A.P. 0.6%

All input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
the Ap will give you a nutty note, I think it would give you a good addition if you like nutty flavors, but go easy on it or it will overpower the flavor

Yeah, I'm aware of the general notes on A.P. The added nuttiness at lower percentages and then a popcorn/'fritos' taste at higher percentages, but I was hoping to get a more accurate picture of what happens when you don't have any nutty element in the recipes.
The affect it has on fruits for example, I did see somewhere someone mentioned that it added a sort of crispness to strawberry, which I find intriguing.
It also seems to enhance banana in a recipe, but I need to do further testing to verify properly.

Do you find it is a good addition in many of your recipes? Fuller flavour? etc

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Do you find it is a good addition in many of your recipes? Fuller flavour? etc
I use AP at .2% for bakery flavors and at .5% for most tobacco flavors.
Where I do not want nuttyness, I leave AP out.
This works for me (my tastes only).
Do I think AP is a good addition to some recipes? Yes.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I haven't really used with fruits but I guess if you mix some strawberry and ap you could get sort of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich :) could be wrong though

For my sake I hope this isn't the case! The last PB&J e-liquid I tried nearly caused me to re-see my breakfast.

At the moment the use of A.P. seems to be destroying my sense of taste in general, after a few hits it feels like I am vaping flavourless liquid.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I am very sensitive to aceytl pyrazine and it is already in a lot of non tobacco flavorings - such as CAP NY Cheesecake, FA Cookie,TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust,CAP Vanilla Cupcake V2,FA Apple Pie(which is used as pie crust), TFA Peanut Butter, and numerous others I have not tried. I can not do it at all even diluted way down, which saddens me because it is used in tons of bakery flavorings,nuts,and some tobaccos. So my suggestion would be if you are already using any of these flavorings in a mix be careful when adding AP - too much and it gives you a fritos-like taste to it. Otherwise enjoy! :thumb:

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I am very sensitive to aceytl pyrazine and it is already in a lot of non tobacco flavorings - such as CAP NY Cheesecake, FA Cookie,TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust,CAP Vanilla Cupcake V2,FA Apple Pie(which is used as pie crust), TFA Peanut Butter, and numerous others I have not tried. I can not do it at all even diluted way down, which saddens me because it is used in tons of bakery flavorings,nuts,and some tobaccos. So my suggestion would be if you are already using any of these flavorings in a mix be careful when adding AP - too much and it gives you a fritos-like taste to it. Otherwise enjoy! :thumb:

I am unsold on it at the moment, I think it does add something good to Vanilla Cupcake (V1), it changed the taste to be more like a cake make with ground almond than a traditional sponge.
I am yet to use it at higher than 0.6%, but there is a recipe that I want to give a go (when I get the flavourings) which calls for 3% A.P. - it is HIC's peanut butter recipe without actually using peanut butter flavour. I am almost desperate to try it as I really dislike TFA PB (something tastes 'off' to me even at low percentages), but I like real PB and want that genuine flavour in my mixes.

It sounds pretty limiting to have your intolerance to A.P., as you say, it seems to be in a lot of potentially good flavourings.
Are there flavourings that you can use that give the effect without having AP in them?

Reactions: Dixie1954
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread