Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
So the aliens are coming out now! Well, I installed a set too :D! In the hobo v3.1,
image.jpg
image.jpg

3 strands 26g N80 with a 34g N80 alien Clapton. 5 wraps around a 2.5mm bit, duals at like .09. Running on my Dimitri mod with VTC4's so I think my low ohms is safe....love these coils though. Super warm vape and zero ramp up time.
I'm still having trouble getting the wraps down as the drill I use is corded, with a worn out key locking chuck circa 1980

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I have ADHD. I can't stick with a set of coils for too long without getting bored. Arched Clapton sleeper with 3 strands 28g N80 core with a 30g N80 wrap in the Mutation X v4
image.jpg
image.jpg

Having 7 spools of N80 & 2 spools of ribbon makes me do unnecessary things just to see if I can lol

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I have a tendency to run a build for a few days before I get bored and try something different. I completely understand. I also have numerous spools of kanthal/n80/ribbon/Ti01/ni200/SS316L that make me do unnecessary things :laugh:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Slippy's electric…he loves the voltage and the heat. No tootie puffer he.

:D Luck all.[/QUOTE]
One Pull and i'm satisfied for anything from 5min's to half hour depending on how busy i am, what with being so dam busy i've slowed right down on it these days that if i take back to back pulls i start to get a whitey followed by a dry throat and then my head spins off :D people are always amazed by the cloudage and start laughing like little girls when they see but thats not even why i do it, i use 50/50 juice at around 4 or 5mg, that strong cig feeling on the lungs but without the coughing is what i chase :)

Hey TomFORDE thats an awsome Alien :)

Silent Solution

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Wesley Chapel, FL
Here is a build my buddy put on my Hellboy atty. Staged heating coil. I believe it is staggered Claptons with (zipper coils?) At .14 Ohms and it hits very nice!! If my description is wrong please correct me! Wont be able to talk with him till tomorrow. Best build I have had in a long time!
StagedHeating.JPG

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
One Pull and i'm satisfied for anything from 5min's to half hour depending on how busy i am, what with being so dam busy i've slowed right down on it these days that if i take back to back pulls i start to get a whitey followed by a dry throat and then my head spins off :D people are always amazed by the cloudage and start laughing like little girls when they see but thats not even why i do it, i use 50/50 juice at around 4 or 5mg, that strong cig feeling on the lungs but without the coughing is what i chase :)

Hey TomFORDE thats an awsome Alien :)
Why thank you Slip! The first set of aliens I got down right. I only run it on my Dimitri box because my Sig100 gave me a low resistance reading and I am not about to use a <.1 ohm build on a single battery mech. VTC4's in parallel to be safe. I'm surprised how quickly and violently they chuck vapor. Never seen production like this from a Clapton before!
image.jpg

(Before I took off the 6th wrap so they would both fit. Super macro close up)

Last edited:

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
Nothing fancy, but my 2nd Ni200 coil build.

Dual twisted 30AWG Ni200, ID 3.2mm, 8/7 wraps (0.05Ohm combined), wrapped around a M3 bolt to get the spacing right. Vapes great on the snow wolf 200 :)

Mutation x4

View attachment 476154
How's the ramp up on this build? I'm thinking about trying it with 28 guage on the same mutation.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I built more, but this was necessary. 26g/36g fused Clapton all N80. My old Petri build was a staggered fused 26g Clapton with 34/36g N80, and although it was still working fine, the coils were pretty shot. They've been in my Petri for about a little over a month so it was time. 8 wraps around a 2.5mm bit, ohms = .18-.20
My next post will be absurd. In a good way though :D
image.jpg

Did a sleeper build for the heck of it. The first wrap was easy, second wrap obviously kind of jenky. It keeps the same ohm reading and hits like a champ. 8 wrap coming in at .37.
View attachment 477143 View attachment 477144
I learned that when building sleepers, tighten down your positive post after you get your first coil down, then bend the wire out and away so it's almost like your building it vertically, then bend it back down to fit. Or you could build both coils first and wrap the excess in the center around the center post screw so they both fit on the deck.
Edit: @Housetek, so do you like house music?

Last edited:

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I built more, but this was necessary. 26g/36g fused Clapton all N80. My old Petri build was a staggered fused 26g Clapton with 34/36g N80, and although it was still working fine, the coils were pretty shot. They've been in my Petri for about a little over a month so it was time. 8 wraps around a 2.5mm bit, ohms = .18-.20
View attachment 477235

I learned that when building sleepers, tighten down your positive post after you get your first coil down, then bend the wire out and away so it's almost like your building it vertically, then bend it back down to fit. Or you could build both coils first and wrap the excess in the center around the center post screw so they both fit on the deck.
Totally gotcha on the sleeper build. I just started following you so I can stalk your builds my man. :thumbs:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Here is a build my buddy put on my Hellboy atty. Staged heating coil. I believe it is staggered Claptons with (zipper coils?) At .14 Ohms and it hits very nice!! If my description is wrong please correct me! Wont be able to talk with him till tomorrow. Best build I have had in a long time! View attachment 476714
From what I can make out it looks like they're zippered in the sense that ones running clockwise and the other is running counterclockwise. It's a parallel Clapton build. Speaking of zipper claptons, I'm gonna build some today!

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I said I'd make some zipper claptons so I did... @Silent Solution ...only problem is I have builds in every atty that will fit them! I don't want to have to take my stitched alien stovetop out of my Doge v2 just yet but I will soon. Until then:
image.jpg
specs are 30/34 N80 Claptons (counterclockwise) twisted and 28/34 N80 (clockwise) & helixed with 32g N60 & 36g N80 zippered and parallel to a single strand of 26g N80 5/6 wrap on a 2.5mm bit. Ohms unknown yet, will install soon..it's a struggle even fitting them in either of my mutation's so they're going in either my Dark Horse or doge v2

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
View attachment 477235

That's almost exactly the build that I have in my Twisted Messes right now except mine is all Kanthal. Very nice and clean.

I was wondering: do you ever find that wrapping fused claptons with a smaller ID, say, 2 mm gives better flavor? I think all this time I've been unknowingly wrapping fused claptons with a 2 mm ID in my rdas(long story), and I recently tried 2.5 mm and the flavor was a noticeable drop. May just have been me but I'd like to know if you or anyone else has noticed the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
That's almost exactly the build that I have in my Twisted Messes right now except mine is all Kanthal. Very nice and clean.

I was wondering: do you ever find that wrapping fused claptons with a smaller ID, say, 2 mm gives better flavor? I think all this time I've been unknowingly wrapping fused claptons with a 2 mm ID in my rdas(long story), and I recently tried 2.5 mm and the flavor was a noticeable drop. May just have been me but I'd like to know if you or anyone else has noticed the same thing.

it could be determinate on how many wraps you do. A let's say it's a 26g fused with 34g Clapton 2mm ID is going to require 10 wraps to hit a .4ohm coil. If you switched to a 2.5mm ID, you'd only need 8 wraps, which covers less surface area. That could be one explanation. Also, if you're wicking a 2.5mm coil with the same amount of cotton as you are a 2.0mm, it's going to be different. You need to use more cotton through the 2.5 over the 2.0. It could be a lot of things, but I think 2.5mm is my happy medium, not too big, not too small, pretty much fits in everything.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
it could be determinate on how many wraps you do. A let's say it's a 26g fused with 34g Clapton 2mm ID is going to require 10 wraps to hit a .4ohm coil. If you switched to a 2.5mm ID, you'd only need 8 wraps, which covers less surface area. That could be one explanation. Also, if you're wicking a 2.5mm coil with the same amount of cotton as you are a 2.0mm, it's going to be different. You need to use more cotton through the 2.5 over the 2.0. It could be a lot of things, but I think 2.5mm is my happy medium, not too big, not too small, pretty much fits in everything.
Makes sense. I'm gonna order some 28g KA1 and make some 2mm 9 or 10 wrap fused claptons. Lately I've been trying to build higher to use lesser wattage in hopes to conserve juice. I still need that flava though.

Edit: lately not largely

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Makes sense. I'm gonna order some 28g KA1 and make some 2mm 9 or 10 wrap fused claptons. Largely I've been trying to build higher to use lesser wattage in hopes to conserve juice. I still need that flava though.

28g as your core wire? Or as a wrap? If you're using it as a core I suggest using 32g or 34g wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread