Smok X Cube II 160watt TC Bluetooth $55.9 coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Auer

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
PA
The fire "button" looks like it could be problematic, particularly as the mod is supposed to be heavy. No keeping the mod in your pocket without locking it every time, and how are you supposed to hold it comfortably without automatically firing it?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Depends on what youre used to I guess.

I hold my MVP20W loosely between thumb and palm.

No need to have a heavy grip. These things are not that heavy.

Eric

11540920_500762526744784_8778500445489016727_n.jpg

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Depends on what youre used to I guess.

I hold my MVP20W loosely between thumb and palm.

No need to have a heavy grip. These things are not that heavy.

Eric

11540920_500762526744784_8778500445489016727_n.jpg
My flask is too heavy to hold comfortably - or safely - like that, and the Smok is supposedly heavier.

EDIT: the mvp20w is 161g, the Smok is about 200g - and with batteries its close to 300g. Quite a lot heavier.

Reactions: Eric Auer

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Still, 300g is only that.

Can't see how that would be hard to handle for a full day for a normal healthy person.

Eric
Not necessarily hard, but uncomfortable. I tend to have my mod in hand more or less constantly when I'm out walking or in the bar, and it's much easier to keep the mod resting in the palm of your hand than pinching it with your fingers, trying to avoid the fire bar. I can see how I'd get a cramp doing that.

SteveAdams86

Jul 9, 2015
Gloucester UK
On a YouTube review I saw the ohm adjust in the setting menu. Do you have some information about this?
No way to set the wattage in Tc mode?
Iv no idea about ohm adjust, I do have this ordered and I'm waiting for it to arrive from Gear best! If you ask again when mine arrives I could try and explain then. It could be for locking the resistance of a new coil but i really dont know. Same with wattage mode in TC all I have seen in a video is a guy saying you can't change the wattage, iv no idea what it's set to in the first place or how it bases its power limiting adjustments. I do know the firmware is updateable so it could be fixed in the future. There's a couple of videos out by the larger reviewers and maybe both your questions answers are there

1 SMOK X Cube 2 Giveaway And Review On TVC (xcube I…:

2 Smok TFV4 & Smok X Cube 2 160w TC X Cube ll:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hey guys

As of today, for UK people, they're back in stock at myepack.co.uk for £60 (yeah way more expensive than the US, of course.)

I ordered mine at 3.30pm and it doesn't look like they dispatched it yet, so I'll get it Wednesday.

I'll post pictures and my full thoughts then.

As I recently discussed in my Beyond Ni200 thread, this is another mod that features TCR adjustment - meaning it will work with multiple TC wires, including Titanium, Resistherm/Alloy 120, and (hopefully) Stainless Steel. It looks pretty advanced for TC, in fact - not quite at the DNA 200's level, but perhaps more advanced than any other chip/mod besides that.

Perhaps Smok learnt a few lessons after the debacle of the not-TC in the M80 Plus :)

Reactions: Mad Scientist

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Though that said, I do think it's really tacky that you don't get TC for free. Having to pay another $3 for TC feels really crap. Yeah I guess it means that people who don't want TC don't have to pay for it. But it also means that you can't activate TC without a second purchase, requiring a credit card purchase via an app - which could be problematic for some people. And it feels like the start of a bad trend - we really don't want micro-payments in vaping.

In my view they should have either included TC for the same price, or just made the mod cost $62.50 without a micro-payment.

I wonder how much effect it will have on TC take up of this mod. How many will buy it and not enable TC. More importantly, whether anyone will buy it and be unable to get TC - because they don't have a credit/debit card, because some type of cards don't work, because micro payments aren't available in some countries, etc. Maybe such fears are unfounded but to me it sounds like an extra level of uncertainty and complexity which is completely unnecessary.

At first I thought it might use the standard Google Pay / iTunes system which would mean it should be available to most/all cell phone users. But it looks like it doesn't:

CymPnTul.png

So if you don't have a Paypal account, you're screwed? Perhaps not - at least in the UK, a "Paypal" option usually also allows you to just enter a debit/credit card without having an account. Well, it does if the vendor has enabled the use of that. I'll be interested to see if they allow that. If not, it's very dumb - requiring a Paypal account to enable TC is not good at all.

AliPay is some Chinese system, which I imagine is Chinese-only and therefore no help to most vapers.

Hmm, well I guess we'll see. But the whole idea just sounds dumb and annoying to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that they make TC free/automatically included after a month or so.

Reactions: Eric Auer

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
@TheBloke

Paying extra for TC via the app is a terrible Idea and hopefully it will prove itself a failure.

No point in getting it as all other TC devices out there do not charge a cent for any upgrades.

Hope they learn not to be so damn greedy.

Eric

Yeah it's a horrible idea.

However, I cannot begin to agree that it's not worth paying for the TC upgrade. Quite the contrary.

Firstly, at $3 it's a no-brainer cost; just makes the mod $63 instead of $60 (£62 instead of £60), which is still a great price for any original TC mod, let alone a dual battery one with memories, Bluetooth support, and advanced TC features.

Far more importantly, the TC implementation - at least on paper specs and features - appears to be the second most sophisticated currently available:
  • It has TCR adjustment, putting it alongside the Dicodes mods and close to the DNA 200, all of which cost far more.
  • It also appears to have a feature that allows the user to modify the base resistance of the coil, which could be a huge benefit for ultimate accuracy TC, and also very convenient
    • For example, in situations where one knows the base resistance of the coil but the atomizer is hot and the mod won't read it right unless you wait for a while to cool it.
    • This feature is something I (and others) have talked about for a little while, but until now has been unprecedented - even the DNA 200 doesn't have it (not properly at least; it can be simulated by adjusting the Mod Resistance via the PC software, but that's far less convenient.)
  • It has memories, something most other mods lack.
    • Yihi mods have Memories, and the DNA 200 has Profiles, and it remains to be seen whether the Smok memories are more like the former (wattage only) or the latter (TCR, pre-heat settings, temperature, but not wattage)
    • Either way, it's great to have some kind of memory/profile support.
  • It has Bluetooth control of all this, making it far more convenient than all other mods besides the DNA 200, though it will beat even the 200 in certain cases
    • It's more accessible than the DNA 200 - the 200 has great PC software, but it's exclusive to a wired Windows PC connection.
    • Having connectivity available for an app on an Android or Apple cellphone/tablet is going to be superior in most situations, for most people.

The combination of TCR adjustment and this Base Resistance modifier - if both turn out to be as they seem to be, and accurate - combined with Bluetooth control and Memories, make this a damn sophisticated mod. Only the DNA 200 is more advanced overall - though still lacking at least one feature that the Smok has - and the DNA 200 chip is the same price as the entire Smok mod. Ditto versus the Dicodes - the cheapest Dicodes mod is £150 in the UK, 2.5 times more than the Smok, and the Dicodes 2380 that I have, and the only one I'd actually recommend, is £250!

I absolutely agree that the micro-payment is tacky and stupid. It appears Smok just can't resist doing something dumb. But I cannot agree that it's not worth it, quite the contrary. If the Smok performs as well as its specs/features suggest - and that is of course still a big 'if' - then this is a £62 / $63 mod packing $150+ worth of features, and very likely the best value TC mod on the market, and the second best TC mod overall (behind any DNA 200 mod.)

The devil is always in the detail on these things, and there's a hell of a lot that could go wrong. But on paper at least, this is an amazing mod for the price.

I'll let you know how all that turns out in reality as soon as I can :) Hopefully first impressions on Wednesday.

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Got my Smok

It's a really chunky, solid, all-metal device. It won't be to everyone's taste as it's pretty big - slightly wider than the IPV4 in fact (though also slightly shorter) - but it does feel nice in the hand. Magnet door is good.

Battery clips are great, really big chunky gold (coloured) things that look the business.

What is bad is that so far I cannot connect to the Bluetooth at all on my Android phone. I got the app OK, I turn on BT on mod and phone, phone is discoverable, run the app and it never finds it. Nor does it show up in the list of phone BT devices.

I'm going to try on an iPad in a minute

But this is a great example of why requiring purchasing TC via the app is a ridiculously bad idea. No BT phone/pad? BT phone/pad doesn't work? Or the app provided is a POS on a given phone/pad? Tough, you miss the most important feature of the mod.

Really stupid.

More updates later once I've tried on the iPad.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Got my Smok

It's a really chunky, solid, all-metal device. It won't be to everyone's taste as it's pretty big - slightly wider than the IPV4 in fact (though also slightly shorter) - but it does feel nice in the hand. Magnet door is good.

Battery clips are great, really big chunky gold (coloured) things that look the business.

What is bad is that so far I cannot connect to the Bluetooth at all on my Android phone. I got the app OK, I turn on BT on mod and phone, run the app and it never finds it.

I'm going to try on an iPad in a minute

But this is a great example of why requiring purchasing TC via the app is a ridiculously bad idea. No BT phone/pad? BT phone/pad doesn't work? Or the app provided is a POS on a given phone/pad? Tough, you miss the most important feature of the mod.

Really stupid.

More updates later once I've tried on the iPad.

Is it possible it is hooking into an API that is dodgy on some flavours of Android?? Be interesting to see how it does with iOS!!

Good luck mate. Keep us updated!

steve

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I think after you have paid the $3 for TC, its an extra $0.45 for downloading the Ti TCR value!! lol!!

Serously? I saw someone mention a 'Titanium update' and I thought they just meant the TC itself. Oh my god! I will have to buy that to check if it really does just mean setting a value of 0.0035. Ridiculous

All that said, without any upgrade you can use TC out of the box. So you don't have to pay for the TC upgrade, if you only want to use Nickel and you don't want to use the app.

So that's a bit better I guess. But still stupid.

So without being able to use the app, I can:
1. Change temperature (but only in °F, not °C - I guess I need the app for that)
2. Change the TCR of Nickel, but only in the range 0.004 to 0.008 - because I guess I need to pay for the upgrades to unlock lower than 0.004!?
3. Choose between Nickel 'single coil' or 'dual coil' - be interesting to see what that actually means; what do they think they can do differently if I choose dual coil?
4. Adjust the base resistance of the coil, which is Smok's unique feature and sounds pretty good
5. Choose the firing mode, as in Min/Max/Normal/Soft - I guess like Yihi's modes.

So if you only want Nickel TC, and/or you're willing to use temp offsets like we do on DNA 40s etc, you don't have to pay extra and you can use the mod even if the BT stuff doesn't work.

This is all still really stupid though. So penny pinching and short sighted to lock stuff away.

Anyway I will try the iPad soon, maybe I'll have more luck.

And yes it definitely could be something to do with a specific Android version - indicating poor testing on their part..

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Hi Tom,

I saw the Ti thing on Brian's review on TVC channel. I'm pretty sure it loaded as 0.0035 so save your $0.45!! I also wonder whether they have hardwired the Ni TCR to between those settings so as you cant just call it Ni and set the TCR to 0.0035 for Ti or 0.001 or whatever for SS, thus forcing you to stump up 45c for each new wire (resistherm should be ok though They probably havent heard of that lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread