Vape Machine - Recipe Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I far as I can tell weights of 99.% of flavors are so close that even with using a constant value, you are still more accurate than you would be using syringes or pipets.

*Edit: One thing to remember is that as long as you use the same number consistently for the ingredient, it is accurately repeatable and adjustable. The only time it would matter if the value was off a tiny amount would be if I was trying to exactly copy some one else s recipe or some one else mine and we were using a different value.

I started mixing by volume and my good friend who started vaping with me looked at my table and said "Where is your scale?". He has a degree in biochem. and worked in the pharmacutical industry with lot of professional lab time. I said "no, all the other folks are using volume and so am I". He just chuckled at me. But then I started to see people on here talking about it and since all I needed to try working by weight other than what I already had was an inexpensive scale, I spent $12 for a E-bay scale and I have never looked back.
So you use the same weight value for all flavors? and there's no variation in VG, PG, and nic base? I don't know about flavors, but I have experienced a bit of inconsistency in the thickness of VG which would likely affect the weight, right?

(I'm not picking at you... I just really don't know much about using weights, and since all the recipes seem to use volume, I really have a hard time "getting it")

Reactions: JimDrock

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
So you use the same weight value for all flavors? and there's no variation in VG, PG, and nic base? I don't know about flavors, but I have experienced a bit of inconsistency in the thickness of VG which would likely affect the weight, right?

(I'm not picking at you... I just really don't know much about using weights, and since all the recipes seem to use volume, I really have a hard time "getting it")
No, if you download the calc you will see that VG, PG, and flavorings can all have different weights, which is why I added it.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

No, VG and PG do not change (or shouldn't). 99.9% VG is a specific substance and it has a specific gravity. The differences in viscosity you have noticed is most likely due to temperature (flows better when warm).

For flavors, I just use 1. As long as I always use 1 then I can adjust or extrapolate accurately. Again, the only time this would be a problem would be when trying to exactly share or copy a recipe from some one who may have used a different value. But I never fallow a recipe exactly anyways :)

Nic. Base on the other hand HAS to have adjustable values because here we must follow the recipe. But even that can you could have presets for 10% (100mg/l) 9%, 8% etc.

Last edited:

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
No, VG and PG do not change (or shouldn't). 99.9% VG is a specific substance and it has a specific gravity. The differences in viscosity you have noticed is most likely due to temperature (flows better when warm).

For flavors, I just use 1. As long as I always use 1 then I can adjust or extrapolate accurately. Again, the only time this would be a problem would be when trying to exactly share or copy a recipe from some one who may have used a different value. But I never fallow a recipe exactly anyways :)

Nic. Base on the other hand HAS to have adjustable values because here we must follow the recipe. But even that can you could have presets for 10% (100ml/l) 9%, 8% etc.

Right now I am using the same weights for the pg and pg nic, and vg and vg nic bases. Do these need to have separate values as well?

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Right now I am using the same weights for the pg and pg nic, and vg and vg nic bases. Do these need to have separate values as well?

If I'm reading your question correctly, yes. Here is a chart I got from another source:

• Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml
  • Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
  • Weight of Pure Nicotine: 1.01 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.035 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in PG: 1.03632 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in PG: 1.0366 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in PG: 1.036656 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in PG: 1.036992 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in PG: 1.037328 grams per ml

• Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml

• Weight of 60mg in VG: 1.245 grams per ml

• Weight of 50mg in VG: 1.2475 grams per ml

• Weight of 48mg in VG: 1.248 grams per ml

• Weight of 36mg in VG: 1.251 grams per ml

• Weight of 24mg in VG: 1.254 grams per ml

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA

(I have to preface my comment with I'm still learning DIY (doing it 3months), but have had success):)

Yes, they are different, as from what I have read in the ECF DIY forum, VG weighs around 1.26 grams/ml and PG is 1.038 grams/ml. I don't know the weight for VG with nicotine, but the weight I use for PG with nicotine is 1.036. Now I haven't confirmed these numbers from multiple sources, but they work fine for my DIY mixes. Hope that helpful. :)

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA
If I'm reading your question correctly, yes. Here is a chart I got from another source:

Yeah, I bet that's where I got my weights from, nice post Capt. :thumbs:

Reactions: KattMamma

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
(I have to preface my comment with I'm still learning DIY (doing it 3months), but have had success):)

Yes, they are different, as from what I have read in the ECF DIY forum, VG weighs around 1.26 grams/ml and PG is 1.038 grams/ml. I don't know the weight for VG with nicotine, but the weight I use for PG with nicotine is 1.036. Now I haven't confirmed these numbers from multiple sources, but they work fine for my DIY mixes. Hope that helpful. :)

If your working with PG base the margin of error is extremely small unless you are doing HUGE batches.

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee

I am rounding to 2 decimal places. 1.04 for both no-nic and nic based pg...1.25 for both no-nic and nic based vg. I have added this on the main form and it is changeable I honestly think it shouldn't need to go more detailed than that, does it?

I would have to get a scale to double check the values that he listed in order to determine if is it truly accurate first, then decide if fractional measurements are really going to effect a batch enough to tell a difference.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I am rounding to 2 decimal places. 1.04 for both no-nic and nic based pg...1.25 for both no-nic and nic based vg. I have added this on the main form and it is changeable I honestly think it shouldn't need to go more detailed than that, does it?

I would have to get a scale to double check the values that he listed in order to determine if is it truly accurate first, then decide if fractional measurements are really going to effect a batch enough to tell a difference.

1.26 for VG. For VG Nic 1.25 would seem more accurate. You should most definitely make a footnote about this so those who use the weight feature can adjust if they feel the need.

See what I started when I mentioned weight :w00t: :D

JimDrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2015
GA
If your working with PG base the margin of error is extremely small unless you are doing HUGE batches.

Yeah I only make 30ml batches.

Let's see if it will let me credit Batboy on Reddit for his very helpful post; Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight : DIY_eJuice

Yep, gotta give credit where it is Due, thanks for doing that. :)

As for weight, I agree with adding a footnote on the weight figures that are default in the calculator, and also on the ability to adjust them. Though, once set by the user that's most likely how they will stay, for the sake of consistency. :thumb:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark

You don't need to doublecheck, they are "accurate" :) Actually, they are not accurate, but absolutelly close enough to not make any noticable difference whatsoever. Lets take vg as an example; the usp spec dictates not a single specific density, but rather an allowed range, something like 1.249 to 1.26x or something. That usp spec also dictates an allowed range of up to 5% water, which will obviously change the density according to which specific amount. Then the values are gathered using room temp (20 or 25C can't remember).

In short, 1.26 for vg and 1.04 for pg and you can use the same for there nic combos if you want, but it would be nice if they can be configured e.g I use 1.24 for vg nic between 72 and 100mg, allthough 1.26 would still be absolutelly fine :)

The numbers for e.g. vg/nic combos in botboy's nice list, are accurate if room-temp and no water in the usp vg i.e. not even up to the allowed 5%...

Though, I guess most brands of vg aren't using up to that allowed level of water in there vg, since they often label there products with something like 'anhydrous vg' and '99.5%' or '99.7%', and also many brands features msds sheets which lists the density at 20/25C to be around or near the 1.26...

Personally, I use messuring by weight strictly for convenience and not for it's potentionally accuracy improvements :)

Last edited:

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
Taledus/VapeMachine · GitHub

I have went ahead and uploaded the source to GitHub. This is the first time I have used GitHub for networking code so please bare with me while I work through it. The binary (.exe) is available from the same location in the vape Machine.rar. There is no installer for this, only the exe, but this isn't using anything that isn't already included in the source so it should run for just about anyone with a windows system. I am unable to make changes to the main post to update the location.

FYI - Anyone believing that I am sharing software that is malicious in any way should look through the available code and point out exactly where you think I am doing something at and report me. This is legit code if you can read through it...

That being said I have went ahead and made the necessary changes and added the additional PG/VG nic settings. Changing these are available on the main calculator page. I like the idea about making the option available for changing the weight settings per nic base used, and I may end up having it automatically change the values when the nic base changes with the ability to still set it on your own. I should probably up the decimal value to 3 places for this to work.

Right now you can ONLY make a recipe that goes up to 120ml. I am open to suggestion on layout...it looks crowded now. So far no one has reported any bugs so I guess that is a good thing but really need to know if you run into issues.

I have added a bunch of flavorings from the WL website and am slowly working my way through the list that KattMamma provided. I still do not have the editor for this working due to some changes that have happened. Printing is still disabled because it too is not working (I have no idea what I am doing in that regard).

Lastly, the categories and flavorings xml file structures have changed. HotRod suggested a better method for the design, and went through the trouble of helping me with code to port it to the new structure. Many thanks goes to him for the assistance. This means that any custom flavors that have been added will no longer work. If you have added a bunch of flavors and need help porting over, hit me up on pm with a copy of your xml file and I will get it fixed for you.

Thanks to everyone here that has been offering input and thoughts on this application. It really has been helpful!

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
I have just uploaded changes and a new rar file with binary. Changes include:

-New weight form
-Nic values hard-coded
-Link (?) to BadBoy141's reddit page
-12 & 18 mg weights extrapolated from other values
-Weights round to nearest thousandths (3 decimal places)

It would be great if someone who actually uses weights could help confirm that the gram values are correct. I have done my best to ensure that they are, but I am unable to locate my scale, nor do I have experience with recipes-by-weight to be confident enough in my assessment.

The link in my signature should take you to the post above that contains the link to the GitHub page. The file is named "Vape Machine.rar"

Taledus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Tennessee
Update available (again). I have moved the hard-coded values to settings. This will allow someone if they want to go in and change their weights for each nicotine base. I am not going to make an editor for this...the user will have to edit the VapeMachine.exe.config file with their values. The reason I'm not making an editor is there really should be no reason they need to be edited, but this does make it possible if someone wishes to.

I'm still working through trying to get the printing to work properly. Once that is complete I am going to move on the be able to sort the recipe list by favorites, and each category type available. Then this should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread