The DID puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Okay, today I had my DID vaping grandly at .8 ohm, when suddenly it went all weak on me. I checked it out, cleaned the coil, put the wick back in, and still it's not working right. So I check the ohms, and somehow it's crept up to .98 ohm. Okay, time to re-coil this thing.

I throw another coil on it, 6/5 wrap on the same drill bit I always use for that resistance, put the coil on the DID, and What on earth???? It reads 2.3 ohms! Now I cannot get a coil in this thing that reads less than 2 ohms no matter how many coils I wrap! What is going on here? I've never run into this with any other genny. The ends of the coil are locked down tight, it's the same coil I've used countless times before.

Always always that wrap on my gennies has gotten me the ohms I was shooting for, but now for some reason I can't get anywhere near .8 ohm with 26 kanthal, and it was a snap yesterday!

I'm eying that DID with a good deal of suspicion right now, and not liking that centerpost with the thumbscrews at all. I never liked thumbscrews to start with, and I like them a lot less now. That was the main thing I hated about the AGA-T2. Anyone else ever run into this puzzling issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Okay, I got it sorted out, but I still have no idea what was causing that problem. I resorted to my stock response of taking the device apart and cleaning the snot out of it, put it back together, and wound THE VERY SAME COIL on it, and voila.... .8 ohm clean as you please. I'm really scratching my head here. What was going on there?

It was those rotten thumbscrews, right?

And now the DID is vaping stronger than ever.

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Okay, I'm right back where I started with this DID. It works beautifully for a while, then the ohms creep up real high, and no matter how many coils I wind on it, or how much I clean it, I cannot get it coiled to .8 ohm with the same coil that I've always used, and used when it was working right. This has to be the most problematic genny I've yet owned, and I've wasted a LOT of kanthal on trying to get it working.

I put a 6/5 wrap of 26 kanthal on it, which always came out to .8 ohm, and it comes out to 1.37 ohm on that DID! I have no idea what the problem is, or why it's doing this. I'd really appreciated any clues anyone might have. The thing is I had this problem with the only other genny I ever had that used thumbscrews on the center post, that was an AGA-T2, and it was a real hassle to deal with. I really thought MMV would get past that, but maybe not.

This is the coil testing out right, finally, on the 7th try.

I've wound that same coil 7 times tonight, and I kept getting ohms of 1.37 - 2.31. I cannot figure it out! It was the same coil, same wraps, same 26 kanthal every time. Should I be posting about this in the MMV forum/thread? I never had this problem with my RSST's, my Kraken, my Origenny, or any other, but the AGA-T2, which had THUMBSCREWS on the center post!

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I don't have a DID, but I have a AGA-T2 and also experienced this at first. IMO the issue of rising resistance in a Genisis atty is not a coil issue per se, it's a weak electrical connection somewhere.

The first couple of times I built the AGA-T I used only my fingers (and probably a thumb :)) to tighten the thumb screws. Then I aded using two small needle nosed pliers at the end to get the thumbscrews a bit tighter and that fixed it for me.

If you're not doing this and decide to try it let us know how it goes.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yup, my first genny was the AGA-T2, and I had the very same problem with it, the thumbscrews. I hated those things! I used a pair of hemostats to tighten them, and even when I was sure they were good and tight they would come loose under heat and use. I bought the DID because it was an authentic made by MMV, and a real classic genny. I have it working very well right now, but I keep two other gennies standing by as backups.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
When I've had this issue on an RTA (rising resistance), its either the 510 pin of the atty, or a poor connection to the mod. You're using mechs so I doubt its the connection to the mod.

Try putting a 2 x 1 o ring around the bottom of your 510 pin, just above the head. My guess is that 510 pin is wobbling just a tad.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well Roxy, it's an authentic DID on an authentic Poldiac, so I doubt it's a bad connection. I really think it's just those thumbscrews, which are far from the best center post connection. They tend to come loose on their own, even when you tighten them hard, but then there is also the strange matter of the same build that gets me .8 ohm repeatedly coming up as well over 2 ohm on the DID. Only when I took it completely apart and cleaned it did that stop. In the last few days this seems to have cleared up, and it's working as it should now, but I sure would like to know what was causing that. Maybe it was just the break-in period for the DID. I hope so.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I do use needle nose pliers for thumbscrews because otherwise I can't get them tight enough.

If it happens again, try the o ring on the 510. I have high end authentics I've had to do that with. Most recently the Urba, which is sort of a genny.

Well I'm happy to report that I used that DID for a full 20 hour shift yesterday, and the ohms stayed put. So is this DID finally broken in? I use a similar method for tightening thumbscrews, hemostats, and it seems to be working. So, now I'm curious, you have high end authentics? A big collection? Whatcha got?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Well I'm happy to report that I used that DID for a full 20 hour shift yesterday, and the ohms stayed put. So is this DID finally broken in? I use a similar method for tightening thumbscrews, hemostats, and it seems to be working. So, now I'm curious, you have high end authentics? A big collection? Whatcha got?

You might be afraid you asked. I have an RTA addiction problem :)

High end:

Urba
Estia
2 Phenomenon Lites
Spheroid
2 Eviva-ts
Erlkonigen
Aqua v2
Aqua SE
Rose v2
Ataman II
Nuppin (RDA)
eXpromizer (I would call this midrange; not budget, but under $100).

I've also had: Squape Reloaded, Calix, first edition Phenomenon, Divo (RDA) and probably others I'm forgetting.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
My first genny experience was the Sat. I gave it to TrollDragon. The airflow was horrible. I thought of drilling it out, but also think I saw gennys as kind of a pain compared to RTAs.

Then a friend bought the Origenny clone. Took a look at all the parts and decided to send it to me. That's how I got that :). I didn't buy it for myself. Well, no airflow problems so now I want to see if I can learn to get the most out of it.

I've also recently gotten two genny/RTA hybrids for lack of a better description. The Urba and a Nectar clone. I'm really enjoying them. In fact I might get an authentic Nectar. Its the easiest thing to build (with cotton or rayon) I've ever seen. I'm very likely going to recommend it to new builders or those who struggle with RTA wicking.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I'm with you on the Origenny clone, I have the Tobeco, and the only problem I've had with it was that it started leaking pretty bad, which I remedied this morning with new O-rings. I find it quite the performer and only wish I had the authentic. I looked up the Urba having seen you mention it, and found it uses cotton, which is against my religion so I won't be getting that. Our Lady of The Immaculate Mesh would never approve.

The Sat I thought about, but after you mentioned airflow issues, I'll pass on that too. I think I see a thumbscrew for it's center post in pics, and I've had quite enough of that as well. I'm looking for my next genny again, and I'll look up the attys you mentioned. You seem to have quite an interest in a variety of attys, and perhaps more of a budget than I do. Still, I can't stop now, and I see how people end up with those giant collections of mods and attys from here. I've also come to understand the authentics thing. It really hooks you.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Well, I bet you could do mesh on the Urba ;). I tried a U wick and made a mess, lol! If I were better at mesh wicks I bet dual verticals with mesh would be the cat's meow on that atty, and plan to attempt it.

I guess I decided I spent $*** on cigarettes and can spend the same on vaping. Half my high end authentics I bought used for good deals. I also have a slew of Chinese authentics.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well, I bet you could do mesh on the Urba ;). I tried a U wick and made a mess, lol! If I were better at mesh wicks I bet dual verticals with mesh would be the cat's meow on that atty, and plan to attempt it.

I thought about this for a bit, and wanted to say, mesh wick making is worth taking the time to learn to do well. Most of the reason that so many vapers abandon gennies for other arrangements is that they just won't take the time and invest the patience to learn to do that well, and it makes all the difference in your experience with it. Nowadays they just want to buy a coil head with a ready made wick and screw it into their atty.

Also, the people who claim you have to tilt a genny to get it to wick just can't build them right, because they don't care to invest time and effort in it, and that starts with a well made mesh wick. Without that you might as well just use cotton like the rest of the herd.

Well okay, it's also true that some are completely incapable of rolling a mesh wick, like GrimmGreen on YouTube.

Reactions: Innova
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread