So, I smoked a cigar - do I have to reset my counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I think it depends on what your counter is for... (mine is for measuring specific amounts of time after which I can justify buying expensive vape gear that I really can't afford)
I smoked a couple of cigs after my quit date, and I did not reset my counter. This is because I didn't smoke them out of desire/need for the cig, I was just curious how they would taste/make me feel/etc. after, say, a week, or a month after quitting. I wasn't even able to finish an entire cigarette on either occasion, and it just made me even more grateful that I was vaping instead.
Now, if vaping had not worked for me right away, and I bough a pack and smoked them because I felt like I needed to, then I would have changed my counter. But that's just me.
And I tell you what, if someone loaded up a pipe with some really amazing tobacco and handed it to me, you bet I'd take a few puffs... and not reset my counter. A habit is very different than an isolated or occasional event.
I think it's really all about what the date means to each person personally-- if it's something that helps you stay quit, great! Also, addiction is such an individual experience. I think I'm "addicted" to vaping, but WAY less that I was to cigs. I think if I felt the NEED to vape (the way I felt the NEED to smoke cigs, even though I didn't want to) I would be doing my best to reduce my nic and quit altogether. But I really enjoy vaping, and when I'm in situations where I can't, it's not a big deal for me at all. So I'm happy where I am with it, and don't plan on stopping (that is, until I run out of money :facepalm:)

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I've thought about trying a cig, it's been 2 years now. I'm just so curious to see if they really do taste as bad as their supposed to lol! I don't want to buy a pack though just for a few puffs on one so I'll just have to keep wondering.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Driving home from work the other night (16 hour day, it was 3 AM, my normal route was blocked for road construction as was my secondary :grr:, it was not my day) I drove by a drug store and had the sudden urge to buy a pack and light one up. Next month will be 5 years since my last cigarette and about 3 since my last craving for one. This came out of the blue.

Two things stopped me, several deep lung hits of B Puddin and the thought of resetting my counter.

Don't change it Kent, I wouldn't for a cigar. Had I bought a pack though, well... it would be to me like starting over (only with better equipment ;))

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Yes or no. (Hint - there is no right answer)
I say no - buying a whole pack of cigars, cigarettes and perhaps having one or more every day would be different, but 'a cigar'? As long as it didn't leave you wanting more cigars on a regular basis ...no :)

My Dad gave up smoking when I was still quite small (he smoked a pipe) - but I do remember him having perhaps one cigar at Christmas odd times after.

I haven't had a cigarette since I stopped on Jan 28th 2014, but I suspect I could just get the urge to smoke again if I did, so I leave well alone :laugh:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I've always held pipes and cigars at a different level than cigarettes. I don't know about you but I don't and never did inhale pipe or cigar smoke. Just a draw into the mouth and blow out. I still enjoy a pipe and/or nice cigar but not 25 times a day like I did with the stinkies! Therefore I don't really count them or think I or you or anyone else that does has "fallen off the wagon",

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
It was more of an special event type thing - you know, a rare occasion. For what its worth, it wasn't as awesome as I had hoped - I still prefer a good vape. Strawnilla today - been a while since I hit it. Yummo!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread