Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Hey Reoville!

I want to brush my TRA and so I need to remove the button so I can get to the top part. Never done this before and I'm just a little worried I wont be able to put it back. Can anyone walk me through how to do this after I take out the delrin cover? Do I have to remove the hose?

Sorry for the noob question and thanks

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
You will want to remove the feed tube, as you need to remove the derlin cover as well. Once the cover is off, you need to move the positive contact out from under the button. I use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry/turn the contact away from the button. Then, with the button in the unlocked position, it should drop right out.
Take care putting everything back, especially the screw for the derlin cover, don't over-tighten it.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yup that dreaded black delrin cover screw has made millions send back thier reos to rob for a fix after stripping the threads on the thin aluminum body!! Hehe. J/k.

Anyways like was mentioned, just turn that screw till you feel it snug and don't turn it more then that or you will be sending it in as well.

Yes I've stripped it too.. once! After that you learn fast.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

Thats scary as well as its easy to break that nut (brass) on the older non 2015 as well..

Is this an older reo with older non gold contacts and old style non stainless steel adjustable 510??

I'd not mess with the brass nipple if it is the older style.. just try to carefully push the positive contact pin out of the way to drop the button and then carefully push it back in place when you re insert the button.

Also on the older reos the juice feed tube was glued in with super glue. It won't come off thst easy.. you don't have to remove the tube to remove the cover.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Thats scary as well as its easy to break that nut (brass) on the older non 2015 as well..

Is this an older reo with older non gold contacts and old style non stainless steel adjustable 510??

I'd not mess with the brass nipple if it is the older style.. just try to carefully push the positive contact pin out of the way to drop the button and then carefully push it back in place when you re insert the button.

Also on the older reos the juice feed tube was glued in with super glue. It won't come off thst easy.. you don't have to remove the tube to remove the cover.
Yes, leave the feed tube alone--plenty of room for the delrin cover to drop down enough to swing the positive contact directly toward you and allow the button to fall out.
Goes back together the same way, only backwards.:)

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Thanks for all the tips guys. I got this particular reo a couple years ago, before the new contacts came out although this has been upgraded. Yeah, I really want to avoid messing with the hose and nipple. Good to know i can remove the button without taking it apart completely. My other grands are on their way to the spa. Thinking about it,its probably a good idea to wait till they're back before I start messing with this one :facepalm:

Reactions: SteamStack

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
My other grands are on their way to the spa. Thinking about it,its probably a good idea to wait till they're back before I start messing with this one :facepalm:

I would highly recommend this. Rob will get them done and back very quickly but it will seem like an eternity if that one is down.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yeah, you do not want to expose yourself to zero operational reos if you can avoid it. The risk with the button removal is relatively small, but you are planning to work on the body, which introduces more variables and down time.

One thing to think about is that buttons have an upgrade, too. If yours has the new contacts, this has likely been done already (they came with the kit), but if not, maybe getting a new button would be a nice addition.

Reactions: kingdal

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
..Piece o cake!

It really is. Once you open it up its very obvious how it all is put in there.

And the advice about NOT over tightening when putting the delrin cover back on, and making sure you have the screw lined up with the threads in the backside of the mod (which you can't see) is very important. Just go gentle when you get to that step. :)

Reactions: kingdal

kingdal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2012
The Far Side
Yeah, you do not want to expose yourself to zero operational reos if you can avoid it. The risk with the button removal is relatively small, but you are planning to work on the body, which introduces more variables and down time.

One thing to think about is that buttons have an upgrade, too. If yours has the new contacts, this has likely been done already (they came with the kit), but if not, maybe getting a new button would be a nice addition.

Yeah I've always made it a point to avoid opening up a REO, mainly because my fingers dont seem to get along well with tiny gaskets, tubes and screws. Always worried I'm going to mess things up. Hence, all upgrades were done by the mod master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread