• I might be shedding more then usual, i dont notice hair thinning though

• I dont notice any change in my hair

• My hair seems better and thicker since switching to vaping

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtovape

Jun 11, 2015
Ive been vaping for two months and I have shed ALOT of hair, to the point where I am very noticeably thinner. NRT does have a reputation for causing hairloss, and we are consuming the same stuff in patch, gums etc when we vape (nicotine isolated and extracted from tobacco). I know quite a few people have noted increased hair growth since vaping which they attribute to no longer smoking. But Ive also read quite a few people saying that they have lost alot of hair from vaping too. I know NRT must affect different people differently, as we all have different tolerances to it. But Im interested to see how common it is.

I started out on 24mg, and shed bucket loads (turn of phrase there :p), as I cut down it seems to have improved a bit, (im now on 4mg) but still shedding far too many hairs, and Im hoping it stops soon!! In the mean time, Im tapering down my nic levels at a much faster rate then i first intended, cause as much as I DONT want to return to smoking, I also dont want to end up bald!! So far Im ok on 4mg and dont want a ciggarette (using the same PV-ego/evod- but probably upped my mls per day a bit, hoping my usage minimizes as I get used to lower nic strength) will cut down to 3 soon and then lower after that, depending on if the hair shedding improves or not!

Last edited:
Reactions: Opinionated

newtovape

Jun 11, 2015
Well it looks like its not so common a side effect. I googled it and saw lots of women complaining about it, from vaping and nrt products like nicotine gum. But Google is a big place! Bigger then this forum.... I see alot like yourself too, whose hair just grows more since vaping. Wish I was one of those people :p i have noticed my nails growing faster, but hair is just falling out :tumble: On the up side, the shedding seems to be improving the past few days. Ive been on 4mg now nearly two weeks I think. I use about 3-5 mls a day, depending on whether or not im at work, or how busy I am with other things on a given day/evening. When I smoked I had anywhere from 5-10 ciggarettes a day- also depending on what I was doing and how busy I was. I vape more then I smoked, like most people. I guess its partly the convienience of it and also the fact that we absorb the nic more slowly in vapor. My juice consumption has only gone up a little in dropping nic. Ive always done the occasional chain vape, no matter what strength ive been at. But now I dont get heart palpatations from doing it!

The hair shedding probably takes some time to subside I guess, heres hoping. Ive read of others who had a lot of hair loss on high nic strength juices, and it took weeks of vaping on a low strength for the shedding to stop...Vaping has been a god sent for getting me off cigarettes, i doubt i would have been able to quit without it, and im not ready to give it up just yet. When i go out without my PV I find myself sometimes eyeing ciggarettes in some vague way, so i dont think im in the safe zone yet. I think ill still need to drop my nic strength lower to 1-2 mg and stay that way for a while to be more in the clear from starting up smoking again. ill probably need at least a few more months i think before i can consider safely stopping the vapes. ive bought myself a stack of hair growth stimulating products in the meantime!!

Last edited:

newtovape

Jun 11, 2015
The hair shedding is still more profuse then wat it should be, and ive started on alot of juices which are only 3.5 mg now the past few days. not happy about this! When I wash my hair im getting about 50 hairs come out, yep its alot. If you lose more then 60 a day consistently, that means your in the throes of hair loss. The hair growth stimulant products are working tho at least, ive been using them a month now, and the front of my scalp, which has been thinnest (its been very bad actually, so much scalp visible) looks much better now with plenty of little hairs which have come in. The relief is huge!! These products are expensive though!

Mouse-0-saurus

Aug 13, 2015
I already have extremely fine and thin hair... I have not noticed any changes thus far. I have also done a lot of research on the effects of the various ingredients of the e-liquids (e-juice) and as of yet the results are as follows...
Nicotine increases heart rate and blood pressure, just like caffeine. So when you switch from cigarettes to vaping your body goes through an adjustment period, and you can lose some hair as a decrease of blood flow to the scalp. But this loss should be temporary as your body stabilizes and becomes accustomed to the lower levels of nicotine the hair should grow back and some reports have shown that it grows back even thicker and healthier than before.
I hope this is helpful and alleviates some of the hair loss concerns.
:):thumb::vapor::thumb::)

newtovape

Jun 11, 2015
Mousa saurus; I hope ur right! But u know ive been vaping 3 months now. I wonder how long an adjustment period would be? My overall health has taken such an obvious plummet since I switched to vaping from ciggarettes, which I did not expect at all. I thought too that going down to really low nic levels would help my well being, and things did improve for a while but the past week or so I feel really awful again. My body just doesn't feel happy at all! I wonder what it is about vaping that is so bad for me? Wish I knew! But I guess its working in keeping me off cigarettes and im hoping my nic addiction is on its way out as I lower my juice strengths. Hopefully soon I can stop vaping and not have to go back to smoking either

Mouse-0-saurus

Aug 13, 2015
Mousa saurus; I hope ur right! But u know ive been vaping 3 months now. I wonder how long an adjustment period would be? My overall health has taken such an obvious plummet since I switched to vaping from ciggarettes, which I did not expect at all. I thought too that going down to really low nic levels would help my well being, and things did improve for a while but the past week or so I feel really awful again. My body just doesn't feel happy at all! I wonder what it is about vaping that is so bad for me? Wish I knew! But I guess its working in keeping me off cigarettes and im hoping my nic addiction is on its way out as I lower my juice strengths. Hopefully soon I can stop vaping and not have to go back to smoking either

It sounds like you are going through withdrawals... It happens to some people and the effects vary from person to person. I am aware that some actually have become physically nauseated after stopping cigarettes. I am always researching the effects of everything.... and before beginning to vape I did extensive research. I know that there are a few who are sensitive to the various chemicals, and it makes it difficult for them getting started. But just like cigarettes, the human body does adapt and that could be what is occurring with you. Good luck and keep me posted... I will continue my research too, I will post if I find out anything new. ;)

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I long ago noticed that my fingernails and hair are growing much faster since I stopped smoking.
And I'm really not all that pleased by this development.
:laugh:

Yeah I noticed this too, especially the finger and toe nails, have to trim at least once a week. Not getting hangnails anymore either ... :blink:

My barber is delighted that I'm visiting more often ... :D

I've gained 30 pounds in the past year, my doctor is pleased that now my weight is more appropriate for my height ... :2cool:

A lifetime of chronic gingivitis has been eliminated, my dentist is happy ... :thumbs:

Would these changes have occurred if I had just quit smoking but not started vaping ? :unsure:

A question which shall never be answered ... :)

Reactions: DC2

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well it looks like its not so common a side effect. I googled it and saw lots of women complaining about it, from vaping and nrt products like nicotine gum. But Google is a big place! Bigger then this forum.... I see alot like yourself too, whose hair just grows more since vaping. Wish I was one of those people :p i have noticed my nails growing faster, but hair is just falling out :tumble: On the up side, the shedding seems to be improving the past few days. Ive been on 4mg now nearly two weeks I think. I use about 3-5 mls a day, depending on whether or not im at work, or how busy I am with other things on a given day/evening. When I smoked I had anywhere from 5-10 ciggarettes a day- also depending on what I was doing and how busy I was. I vape more then I smoked, like most people. I guess its partly the convienience of it and also the fact that we absorb the nic more slowly in vapor. My juice consumption has only gone up a little in dropping nic. Ive always done the occasional chain vape, no matter what strength ive been at. But now I dont get heart palpatations from doing it!

The hair shedding probably takes some time to subside I guess, heres hoping. Ive read of others who had a lot of hair loss on high nic strength juices, and it took weeks of vaping on a low strength for the shedding to stop...Vaping has been a god sent for getting me off cigarettes, i doubt i would have been able to quit without it, and im not ready to give it up just yet. When i go out without my PV I find myself sometimes eyeing ciggarettes in some vague way, so i dont think im in the safe zone yet. I think ill still need to drop my nic strength lower to 1-2 mg and stay that way for a while to be more in the clear from starting up smoking again. ill probably need at least a few more months i think before i can consider safely stopping the vapes. ive bought myself a stack of hair growth stimulating products in the meantime!!

Women can be subject to thinning hair also as they age, hormonal changes can also cause this..

something for you to try is to ditch your shampoo and conditioner completely for a while. I will share how to wash your hair..

get fresh lemons and cut in half or 4ths depending.. and take the cut lemon and squeeze the juice onto your scalp, and rub it into your scalp very very good.. then take a scrambled egg (or two, my hair I need two of them, but if you have short hair then one will suffice) and rub (whole raw eggs, uncooked) it into a lather in your hair, just like you would shampoo..

rinse and you are done.. no need for conditioner..

if you try this for a month your hair should be growing back thicker and healthier..

Last edited:
Reactions: Falconeer

newtovape

Jun 11, 2015
:) @@ opinionated thanks for ur advice but I most certainly dont have the time for all that, also I cant say the idea of putting eggs and lemons on my head much appealing :p im using kerastase densifique, and its working. Itz not as natural or cheap as ur method but I do know it works! I have shed before, and im prone to it, but it has never been as bad as wen I started up vapes. To mousa saurus, definitely not a detox reaction or withdrawal, as I didn't smoke many cigs a day, and only did it about 2.5 yrs. Also I had many "breaks" from smoking (on my failed quit attempts! !) So I was fairly often quitting fora few days or a week, two times I ddidn't smoke for about a fortnight!

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
:) @@ opinionated thanks for ur advice but I most certainly dont have the time for all that, also I cant say the idea of putting eggs and lemons on my head much appealing :p im using kerastase densifique, and its working. Itz not as natural or cheap as ur method but I do know it works! I have shed before, and im prone to it, but it has never been as bad as wen I started up vapes. To mousa saurus, definitely not a detox reaction or withdrawal, as I didn't smoke many cigs a day, and only did it about 2.5 yrs. Also I had many "breaks" from smoking (on my failed quit attempts! !) So I was fairly often quitting fora few days or a week, two times I ddidn't smoke for about a fortnight!

lol @ not appealing. Actually it does sound weird, but it gets your hair very clean and is excellent for it. For me, I don't find it any more time consuming than anything else I do with my hair, but everyone is different.

Glad you found something that works for you!

Its weird that that happened to you right after vaping, its a problem I have never heard of before in conjunction with vaping, and since vaping has so many fewer chemicals than smoking, I wouldn't think it would cause a reaction like that..sounds like since you are already prone to it there might be something in vaping that makes the existing problem a bit worse for some reason.

you learn something new every day I guess! Everyone is different, and everyone's body reacts differently.

Good luck on your continued journey toward a smoke free life!

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I'm not a woman, so I won't weigh in with an official poll answer...
But I'll answer here anyway...
:)

I long ago noticed that my fingernails and hair are growing much faster since I stopped smoking.
And I'm really not all that pleased by this development.
:laugh:
Well my hair hasn't grown back. :D

Zelphie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Cant take the poll cause I've had a hair loss problem since I was 20 years old, both sides near the temples. I use extra strength Rogaine for men per dermatologists recommendations. No worsening of the problem since vaping though. See a dermatologist, they will prolly first try cortisone injections, sometimes that can reverse the problem. In my case that didn't work but Rogaine helped.

Katie B

Nov 5, 2015
Ive been vaping for two months and I have shed ALOT of hair, to the point where I am very noticeably thinner. NRT does have a reputation for causing hairloss, and we are consuming the same stuff in patch, gums etc when we vape (nicotine isolated and extracted from tobacco). I know quite a few people have noted increased hair growth since vaping which they attribute to no longer smoking. But Ive also read quite a few people saying that they have lost alot of hair from vaping too. I know NRT must affect different people differently, as we all have different tolerances to it. But Im interested to see how common it is.

I started out on 24mg, and shed bucket loads (turn of phrase there :p), as I cut down it seems to have improved a bit, (im now on 4mg) but still shedding far too many hairs, and Im hoping it stops soon!! In the mean time, Im tapering down my nic levels at a much faster rate then i first intended, cause as much as I DONT want to return to smoking, I also dont want to end up bald!! So far Im ok on 4mg and dont want a ciggarette (using the same PV-ego/evod- but probably upped my mls per day a bit, hoping my usage minimizes as I get used to lower nic strength) will cut down to 3 soon and then lower after that, depending on if the hair shedding improves or not!

I too have been suffering with this, what was the outcome? Did you continue to vape or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread