Vaporflask v3! Yihi SX350J powered Flask is coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
I'm more of an rta guy myself, fill my tank and relax. I love my k4 but looking for a new something to throw on top of this new flask. Any suggestions for an rta for my flask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erl Konigin. Have an Authentic on my SXMM and it Rocks.
Flavor is amazing and it is steady and stable in TC built w/Ti.
Bought a WoToFo Clone EK but haven't had chance to put it thru it's Paces yet. Hopefully this weekend.

JeepR KReapR

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
SE Michigan
Has there been confirmation that the firmware will be upgradeable via USB? Being based on the Yihi350J chip I would assume so...but it is a 'custom' variation so we'll see if it can take the standard Yihi updates or if VF has to offer updates specifically for the flask (if at all).

If it works like my SX mini with dual bats and user upgradable firmware they can take.mah.monay!!!!!

Reactions: Hitcat44

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
It's confirmed it's a fully functional, fully upgradeable SX350J. The biggest change Yihi did to the board to make it "custom" is making provisions for a ribbon cable to the top-mounted display, adjusting the firmware to allow 100W in Power mode, and they disabled the gravity sensor at VF's request. Actually, the ability to disable the gravity sensor on regular 350J boards came from VF. And, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that it's still a parallel battery device, not serial (which is why it's only 100W, not higher).

Downside is, it's still a 0.5 amp charge board, so unlike the new Vaporshark DNA40 flask with 2 amp Zip charging, it's still looking at 8-10 hour charge times via USB.

I will own one.

JeepR KReapR

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
SE Michigan
It's confirmed it's a fully functional, fully upgradeable SX350J. The biggest change Yihi did to the board to make it "custom" is making provisions for a ribbon cable to the top-mounted display, adjusting the firmware to allow 100W in Power mode, and they disabled the gravity sensor at VF's request. Actually, the ability to disable the gravity sensor on regular 350J boards came from VF. And, I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that it's still a parallel battery device, not serial (which is why it's only 100W, not higher).

Downside is, it's still a 0.5 amp charge board, so unlike the new Vaporshark DNA40 flask with 2 amp Zip charging, it's still looking at 8-10 hour charge times via USB.

I will own one.

Nice info, thanks Croak!

I thought I had heard that Yihi didn't recommend charging via USB anyway, probably due increasing the risk of damaging the port and not being able to subsequently update the firmware.

If that wasn't enough to deter me , a .5amp draw is! Swapping batteries isn't a deal breaker for me anyway.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Will be interesting to see the price of this.

With the right price, One would think a firmware upgradable flask would sell well.

Latest VS DNA40 Flask is at $180 so I doubt this will be any less than $200.

Eric

According to the rep at ECC it'll be $289-299, same as the original...I had hands on one at ECC a couple days ago, it's very high on my want list, the new grippy finish is outstanding and overall this mod just screams quality, pretty awesome.

It did not have the new style no coin required batt caps but I have a feeling it may be released with them, not sure though.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Things being made in the USA does not warrant a premium price

Eric

If manufacturing costs are higher then the price will be higher, pretty simple...and I'd be willing to bet the profit margins are much higher on the Chinese flask despite the $100+ difference in price.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Just to clear up a few things:

The Vaporshark DNA40 flask is now made in China. Chinese labor, Chinese materials, Zip charging, "soft touch" finish, and the US produced Evolv board. And it's over $100 less expensive than the 2.1, but one would assume that Vaporshark is reaping most of the profits here, not Vaporflask.

The soon to release Vaporflask SX-350J is still made in the same place the original flasks were, with US labor and US materials, but with a Chinese board. So cost of goods and labor on the SX Flask should be very very close to the same as it was on the original 1.0 through 2.1 flasks. Only thing that might have made it a bit more costly to produce is using stainless steel on the bottom 10% or so, and adding a glass screen protector over the display, because the SX-350J in bulk is right about the same cost as a DNA40 was, maybe even a few bucks cheaper. And it's still going to sell at the same price point as the 2.1.

Kahling

Oct 14, 2014
Brighouse
I love how Yihi have worked with VF to tailor the board for them. It's going to have upgradable firmware. Yihi will be running three together. M class. 350J board. And VF board.

On the VF firmware you are going to have the ability to change the screen brightness as the screen is in your face when you vape. Love this feature and a good example of how Yihi have worked with them.

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
Anyone have any ideas of when & where?

Last November I got a USA made 2.1 flask for $330 and it's worked fine even after dropping it on pavement and using it non-stop everyday since I got it.
Earlier this month I got the Vapor Shark(VS) version on pre-order for $200 and have sent it back for the second time now - this time I'm getting a new unit (1st time it was repaired then worked well for a week before it had crazy chip glitches I've never seen before which rendered it unusable).

Though my personal experience may have validated many people's assumptions of the differences in quality between a solid USA made vs Chinese made device even though both rely on a US made chip (which was likely the cause of my VS edition's issue), given the choice, ironic as it may seem, I think I'd probably go for the cheaper VS/Chinese version.

Anyone know if VS will be selling the VF-SX? & if so, probably cheaper than the US made $300 price tag?

It is also ironic, that a US design (VF) with a US made chip (DNA) gets sent out to China to be manufactured and sold by a recent partner (VS), but the Chinese made SX chip is only being sold in US made units? I'm sure its all a matter of time before they sell the Chinese made VFs with Chinese made SX chips on Vapor Shark for a lower price. But when? and can I wait that long?

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
Anyone know if VS will be selling the VF-SX? & if so, probably cheaper than the US made $300 price tag?

Doubt Vapor Shark will manufacture the SX flasks in the next 4-6 months, due to the backlash VF received by allowing VS to outsource the v2.1 flask. The gorilla glass screen protector, and upgraded battery caps are not worth the machining, or finish issues IMO.

On my 2.1 Flask, the machining is perfect, to the point that the battery cap slots align when fully in place.

SX Flask is $269.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
You won't ever see a Chinese-made device with a SX-350J in it, Vapor Flask or otherwise.

Why? Because Yihi WILL NOT, under ANY circumstances, sell SX-350 series boards to be used in non-Yihi mods assembled in China.

And it makes a lot of sense as far as maintaining that quality reputation for their flagship product. Look at Evolv now, their reputation is getting tarnished even more with this recent spate of poor QC/build quality DNA200 devices coming out of China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread