IPv4 heating up very hot even when off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
I have the same thing going on with mine, I located the heat source being a trace on the PCB board.

Have not attempted at a solution.

Problem started when the device failed to turn on. Thought it was related to the firmware update, plugged it back in to the computer and it managed to reset it.

Edit:the firmware update was for 120 watts and Tiatium wire support. This may have caused damage because the PCB might have not been designed for that wattage.

Decided to clean the inside for juice leaks (not just leaking from the charge port but from the actual 510 connection ESP. When using a Kennedy ) also took out charging board.

Ever since that it gets warmer than normal, which then drove me back to open it to only discover what I stated earlier, a trace on the main PCB is getting hot. And I think it is a ground related trace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ever since that it gets warmer than normal, which then drove me back to open it to only discover what I stated earlier, a trace on the main PCB is getting hot. And I think it is a ground related trace.

Can you add a jumper in parallel with the trace or beef it up with solder along its length? Probably not the latter due to the solder mask, but I thought I'd check. :)

Reactions: Zanderist

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2014
    Can you add a jumper in parallel with the trace or beef it up with solder along its length? Probably not the latter due to the solder mask, but I thought I'd check. :)
    Now that will be the plan if I could prove a component hasn't failed.
    Definitely worth a shot, I think I can save it now.
    Awesome idea![emoji1]

Reactions: Mooch

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Not a great idea to throw batteries in water...FYI.

With what we do with these devices, I'd call it a loss and read alot of reviews before your next purchase. You mentioned the sig 150. I've heard good things about that one.

Other than mechanicals, if I had a mod that got hot to the touch just by installing batteries, it'd get tossed.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2014
    I somehow fixed mine and the only thing I did was the voodoo magic of running a neodymium magnet all around the PCB. Maybe I pulled a piece of metal that was some how bridging something.

Back at the op, without me reading previous posts, can you open the device and maybe take a similar picture I have of mine?
    uploadfromtaptalk1440801385615.jpg

By the way this is towards the vent holes.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2015
    Heber Srings Arkansas
    I somehow fixed mine and the only thing I did was the voodoo magic of running a neodymium magnet all around the PCB. Maybe I pulled a piece of metal that was some how bridging something.

Back at the op, without me reading previous posts, can you open the device and maybe take a similar picture I have of mine? View attachment 484905

By the way this is towards the vent holes.

in that pic the top battery wire that is soldered to the batt connector could do with a trim or clean up with a small file it looks so close to the screw post in the body

if the plastic battery tray flexes a little that could be a short waiting to happen

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2015
    Heber Srings Arkansas
    ok then thats good but you could still trim that little extra bit of copper wire to make it even better

i would if it were mine that batt teminal probably just lifts out with batt removed and could prob even clip it like a coil build if you aint got a small file etc

if ya happy as it is then thats is up to you

just thought i would point it out incase you had not seen it but you have

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2014
    ok then thats good but you could still trim that little extra bit of copper wire to make it even better

i would if it were mine that batt teminal probably just lifts out with batt removed and could prob even clip it like a coil build if you aint got a small file etc

if ya happy as it is then thats is up to you

just thought i would point it out incase you had not seen it but you have
    The reason why I didn't attempt to clip or file was because that extra piece of wire is actually a pin to keep the battery terminal from shooting out.

And I was posting because the OP was describing an instant short in his ipv4 and that post being as close as it is seemed like the case.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2015
    Heber Srings Arkansas
    ok i understand what your saying and my mistake it just looked a little close but as you explaned it makes sense now

i just mentioned incase you had not noticed it but you have and found a solution

and yes its a good picture to show the op it could be the cause of his problem

all the best and happy vaping

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Not a great idea to throw batteries in water...FYI.

With what we do with these devices, I'd call it a loss and read alot of reviews before your next purchase. You mentioned the sig 150. I've heard good things about that one.

Other than mechanicals, if I had a mod that got hot to the touch just by installing batteries, it'd get tossed.

I got the idea of using water from Mooch in this thread:
    Box caught fire | Page 3 | E-Cigarette Forum

Since he tests batteries I figured I should file that tidbit away.

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread