TC and Tanks... What are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I'm just curious what you guys are using for tanks with TC. I'm using an Atlantis V1 with the VS coils. I get good flavor, but I'm not sure they are so responsive to a dry coil. I get occasional dry hits.

What are some good options? I have a subtank that I rebuild, but I don't think the deck is so TC compatible. Lots of broken ni wires and temp reports low.

What are some good options?

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I have a morph tank with the atlantis v2 vertical ni200 coil heads. They are 0.15 res and a great vape at 50j or 50watts and 500 def f. I'm using 50/50 eliquid. I might get some kanger vertical coils and pop those into my morph tank just to try them out.

Never heard of the Morph. Had to look it up. May just pick one up.

Reactions: LuNar

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Pretty much all my tanks are set up for tc nowadays. My favourites are the Subtank Mini (with v2 or nodded v1 RBA deck) and the Aqua v2. The Ego One Mega that I got with my Evic VT also gets a lot of use, just because it's a great fit with my Vaporflask clone. The clr coils make the Ego One ok, but I did have to enlarge the juice channels.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Humm.... I think I've tried TC with almost all my tanks (excepting K1 and Maxi).

Factory coils:
    - VS Nautilus coils are "ok", they seem to work but I've grown beyond the vape the tanks can provide
    - VS Atlantis2 and Trition coils worked very well - no issues here other then expense of the coils
    - Subtank-Mini Stock Ni coils - I've used a few of these, I'd rate them lower than the VS coils

RTA's:
    - STM & STM+ get almost daily use. The old and new RBA is quite usable for TC. I mostly use ether 28 or 30awg Ni200 with 8-10 wraps 2.5-3mm. No real issues here other than sometimes the RBA won't push the center pin down far/hard enough to register on my TC40 (had to toss a stock 0.15 coil in one of my tanks last night to get it to fire). (no leaks that I've found) I have a Black STM+ outfitted with a top fill tank which lives on my TC40.
    - Lemo2, I have mine mounted on a SXminiM almost constantly. I normally run a single Ni coil in mine but there's room (and I've tried) dual Ni coils. (I rarely get leaks but sometimes do when stored on its side) I have another Lemo2 on the way which I plan on mounting dual Ni coils on.
    - Kanger Subtank, I have two 'clones' which I'm not at all happy with. Dislike the air flow, whistling and the larger RBA seems to take up most of the extra tank capacity. No center pin issues though. (no leaks that I've found) They work fine for TC but get little use because of the other issues and they are bottom fill only.
    - Anyvape Sega, top fill and can use Atlantis coils AND has a decent (although small) v2 RBA deck. Works well in TC mode, however seems to seep a little juice when stored on its side. I have one mounted on my IPV4S right now.
    - Billow v1, designed for dual coil, non-adjustable air flow, large capacity, can be filled from the top or bottom. I've really tried to like this tank. First tried Ti contact coils and was unable to get the wicking correct to stop 'rattle snaking' while getting 'dry coil' messages, switched to dual spaced Ni coils and different wicking however can't seem to be able to fill it without juice coming out the air holes or store it on its side. (I'm about to give up on this thing)
    - Aspire Atlantis2, great airflow, I can vape the tank dry in a matter of a few hours. Not really a RTA except when outfitted with a AnyVape v2 RBA. (not in my daily rotation)
    - Aspire Trition, the optional RBA is a joke, YES it can be used in TC but with Ni wire your better off making a verticle coil in there. Weak air flow, leaks. Even with an AnyVape RBA this tank is not in my daily rotation.

Personally I'm leaning towards top fill RTA's which may (or not) have a factory coil option. Wire and cotton is cheap and I usually get 1-2+ weeks use before replacing the coil as I want to try a different build or "just because".

Reactions: footbag

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
    I have/used the following with TC/nickel coils:

My favorites in order:

Crown with stainless steel and nickel coils
    Smok TCT (really amazing tank in terms of simplicity, give the edge to the Crown though because of better flavor and top fill)
    Freemax Starre Pro (because it leaked like a .... and yes the damn on/off valve was in the right place)
    Arctic
    Atlantis V2 with Vaporshark coils

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Alexandria, Louisiana USA
    Triton with their normal heads (SS) works great on the dna200 on TC.
    Only just found out a few days that i could vape m on TC by reading here but they already my fav prebuild TC head now.
    Good lord i hope aspire doesnt mess with these for a v2 or whatever.
    Think those stainless Triton coils would work on the IPV4 or IPV D2 in TC mode?

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Monoxxide

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Yes imho, just pushed the atty on my sx m class, its working at 360F, 40 joules.
    Dont want to push the heat up to much as i dont know howmuch the NI calibration is "off" from the 316L wire but it does work and doesnt kick out TC.
    On the dna you can push the 316L setting in to vape it on correct responding temp, if you fiddle a bit with temp/joules on another TC mod i bet you can get it to work decent to.

You might want to put the setting on powerfull+ to, not sure if thats possible with those? On the dna i got the preheat @ 200w for 1 sec.

Last edited:
    Reactions: smacksy

Cotay

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 29, 2014
    Central Coast California
    I have/used the following with TC/nickel coils:

My favorites in order:

Crown with stainless steel and nickel coils
    Smok TCT (really amazing tank in terms of simplicity, give the edge to the Crown though because of better flavor and top fill)
    Freemax Starre Pro (because it leaked like a .... and yes the damn on/off valve was in the right place)
    Arctic
    Atlantis V2 with Vaporshark coils

My Starre Pro is rock solid and doesn't leak at all. Perhaps yours is defective.
    I also second the Crown and Atlantis 2 (I mostly use it with the 1.8ohm coils for my lower power mods...great stuff for MTL and beats my Nautilus and Nautilus Mini).

Croak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    Yes imho, just pushed the atty on my sx m class, its working at 360F, 40 joules.
    Dont want to push the heat up to much as i dont know howmuch the NI calibration is "off" from the 316L wire but it does work and doesnt kick out TC.
    On the dna you can push the 316L setting in to vape it on correct responding temp, if you fiddle a bit with temp/joules on another TC mod i bet you can get it to work decent to.

You might want to put the setting on powerfull+ to, not sure if thats possible with those? On the dna i got the preheat @ 200w for 1 sec.

TC is off a LOT if you're using 316L SS in Ni200 mode on a SX or DNA40 device. Way off. And that's compounded by the Triton coils having long legs.

Monoxxide

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2012
    Belgium
    TC is off a LOT if you're using 316L SS in Ni200 mode on a SX or DNA40 device. Way off. And that's compounded by the Triton coils having long legs.

Ok, just have to adjust your temp then till it feels right i guess. I just popped the tank on there and set it at 350 (that felt bit to less) and it was working without it popping out TC. Just tested rq to see if it would work on a sx board.
    Do the stock heads have long legs to or you talking about the rebuild deck? On the dna200 the temp setting seems to work flawlesly on the correct temp with with their stock heads.
    TBH i dont think the difference is as big as the difference between TI and NI, that was about 100F if i remember right? Have been using TI on the SX before the TI update was out and that felt way more off then this did.

Croak

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2012
    Right behind you...
    Using rounded whole numbers to simplify the temp coefficient (TCR):

Ni200 has a TCR of 6
    Titanium has a TCR of 4
    316SS has a TCR of 1

That's a tremendous difference. You're off by at least two hundred degrees, and the curve is different as well.

What's saving you is that the SS Triton heads wick very well and flow a lot of air, since they are designed to handle a fair amount of power in "normal mode".

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    I've tried Tc (nickel)on all my rta's, delta II, zephyrus etc.. The delta is a little too tight of a draw for me anymore. My zephyrus works well but is tight so it is usually a very low build. I got a smok tct and really do like it but there is no rba so if using it I have to buy coils. I just got a smok tfv4, the stock coils are juice hogs, my juice would disappear like socks in the dryer. But the main reason I got it was the single coil rba it ships with, with the airflow it works really well. Will probably order the dual coil rba for the tfv4 but am content with the single for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread