CALIFORNIA VAPERS: Things are getting ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It's a controversial subject, but yes, that's the gist. They abort, Nuff said. Most "establishments" are in black communities. Nuff said. I do not aim to talk on this subject more.
Without getting into a philosophical debate on abortion, only 3% of their annual budget goes to abortion services, the rest goes to preventative measures and women's health screenings for those who cannot afford them through "traditional" means, so yes, mostly in low income communities.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So how do the kids get the gum? Their parents? Doctors? I know in the UK schools hand out nic gum to children, but I haven't heard any such thing in the US...
Cigarettes and vapor products are also illegal to sell to minors, how do those darned kids get any of it?

BTW, behind the counter, is right above the eye line of the candy products at the counter. IJS

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Cigarettes and vapor products are also illegal to sell to minors, how do those darned kids get any of it?

BTW, behind the counter, is right above the eye line of the candy products at the counter. IJS

They steal them from their parents or have older friends or siblings buy for them. I don't think kids using nic gum in the US is very common, though...
I suppose they could hang the nic gum from the ceiling, but that would be silly...

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
My dear Endor. Where did you get the idea that they want to do something useful or actually help people? :shock:

They need to raise 1 billion dollars. Probably more now, after the market crash....

Last I checked, California had a surplus to the tune of several billion dollars from the 2012 scam that was Prop 30, but you are right, they continue the "Let's Raise Taxes!" parade.

They are hell-bent on getting e-cigs classified as tobacco for one simple reason: they want to increase tobacco taxes. Problem is, smoking is on the serious decline, especially in California, so e-cigs are needed to balance it out and drive home the profits.

Why I think this... I live in OC and work in West LA, so I take Metrolink from Union Station. In the evenings, I often get into Union a bit early, so I have a vape while waiting for my train (you can smoke/vape at the end of the tracks, overlooking the 101).

Most recently, I've noticed that the number of other commuters vaping FAR exceeds the number smoking. In fact, earlier this week, I counted 7 people vaping (not including me) and 1 person smoking. And, all 7 of these people are middle-aged, professional folks (like me) who most likely used to smoke (like me).

Just think of all the money the state has lost on just that train platform... all those entitlements and pensions that are being underfunded because those 7 people don't smoke anymore. The tragedy of it all....

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Is 2/3 approval in the State House and State Senate likely? Am I misunderstanding this part?:
This bill would include a change in state statute that would result in a taxpayer paying a higher tax within the meaning of Section 3 of Article XIII A of the California Constitution, and thus would require for passage the approval of 2/3 of the membership of each house of the Legislature.
Digest Key
Vote: 2/3 Appropriation: YES Fiscal Committee: YES Local Program: YES

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
They are hell-bent on getting e-cigs classified as tobacco for one simple reason: they want to increase tobacco taxes. Problem is, smoking is on the serious decline, especially in California, so e-cigs are needed to balance it out and drive home the profits.
They admit it:
(g) Because increasing the tobacco tax will reduce smoking and use of other tobacco products, it is important to protect existing tobacco tax-funded programs from a decline in tax revenues.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Both bills say 2/3 majorities needed. Are you saying that yes, it is likely they'd get 2/3, even if it doesn't have public support?
Yes, they need 2/3 votes, and yes they are likely to get that. Hopefully if enough voters make their opinions known it could effect the outcome, but they're trying to make up for a $1 Billion budget shortfall.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Most recently, I've noticed that the number of other commuters vaping FAR exceeds the number smoking. In fact, earlier this week, I counted 7 people vaping (not including me) and 1 person smoking. And, all 7 of these people are middle-aged, professional folks (like me) who most likely used to smoke (like me).
It's getting to the point where every time I leave the house I see vapers.

I see them in their cars, blowing out a cloud from their windows.
I see them in parking lots, walking down the street, pretty much everywhere.

Just the other day I'm at McDonalds and I see two guys standing outside their plumbing van.
One guy is vaping.

I've been around long enough to have never seen any vapers anywhere.
That has most certainly changed, at least here where I live.
:)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Slantz at UCSF did a Study that Happy Meal Toys is a gateway to Video Games. And Video Games causes Shootings.

So Happy Meal Toys had to be Banned.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding...
Snorted water out my nose, but so worth it. Thanks for the giggle.

Trying to catch up and can't even find where I left off (yeah, I know you can go to it, but thought I knew what page it was). This is so depressing. :(

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It's getting to the point where every time I leave the house I see vapers.

I see them in their cars, blowing out a cloud from their windows.
I see them in parking lots, walking down the street, pretty much everywhere.

Just the other day I'm at McDonalds and I see two guys standing outside their plumbing van.
One guy is vaping.

I've been around long enough to have never seen any vapers anywhere.
That has most certainly changed, at least here where I live.
:)
I very rarely see vaping around where I live, except for in vape shops. I live in an ANTZ infested area, and the building I live in has been considering banning vaping in the apartments, and it's already banned in the comon areas by local statute.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I understand that. But what happens when/if CA legalizes the "other product" for recreational use, not just therapeutical? Which, BTW, is a possibility.
Again, Washington legalized the other stuff and tax at 20%. They tried to tax vaping at 90% and lost. They'll likely try again. "Vaping is marketed to children with flavors..." I'll bet you on down the road they'll try to tax vaping higher than smoking and justify it by claiming it is marketed to kids.
Exactly. And I thought Greg did a Good Job of pointing out that even the FDA is Not and Can Not regulated products that do Not Contain or are Not Sold with Nicotine.

Regulating 0mg e-Liquids is a "Tobacco Product" is Asinine. Or calling anything that can Produce a Vapor. And it has Legal Litigation written all over it.

A State following a Federal Legal Definition of what a Tobacco Product is (or Isn't) is one thing. Making Up your Own Definition is quite Another.

I would Hope that California has Enough Sense (and Lawyers) to Amend out some of what they want to Define as a Tobacco Product. And these are Points that People should be Writing their Reps and Pointing Out.
I really hope they eat it over that. Almost worth letting that pass so they are publicly trashed over it. It's like trying to say that toothpaste is a tobacco product. Makes sense, both have flavoring and PG.
Hence my new avatar...

408a52cfbfbf6a460bcf708e0771560c.jpg
Birdie, I do love the new avatar. It also makes your .... look big when you run away like that, in a most adorable away. :lol:
And from what I was reading on a news site this morning, 67% of the people are for raising the cig tax, and to me that means they would also be for a tax on e-cigs.
And they are all non smokers. They don't want their taxes raised, let someone else pay for their kids.

Those new bills are depressing. Is this a contest to throw as much crap as they can against the wall and see what sticks? Are they going to add $2.00 a pack now and then still let that petition go through and add another $2.00 a pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread