18650 Batteries - In need of a good suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce87i

• Aug 9, 2015
    Oregon
    Hello all!
    I am in need of a new battery, and would like a suggestion.

I just received my Odyssey Kit from Aspire, containing their new Triton tank, and Pegasus Box Mod.. Their new Triton coils go as low as 0.3 ohms, rated at 45-55w. However the Triton is compatible with the 0.3 ohm Atlantis V2 coils that are rated as high as 70-80w, and the Pegasus can fire up to 70w.

I did a bit of math:
    Assuming I use the 0.3 ohm Triton coil and fire it at 50w, the draw from the battery is a meager (roughly) 13A.. And even if I fire it at 70w, its still barely over 15A..

With all of that said, a 20A continuous 18650 Battery is more than enough, and perfect.
    So I want to get a battery that will provide me the longest battery life.
    I also want to get a "brand name" (a REAL, ORIGINAL, brand name) Battery.

So my Requirements:
    -20A Continuous is more than enough and is perfect for me, pulse doesnt matter.
    -Original Brand Name battery (Sony, Samsung, Etc.. one of the True Manufacturers).
    -Over 2500mAh (which is what my current MXJO is rated at, but seems lower).
    -Preferably IMR, but I'm not totally stuck on that, since I dont know alot about it all.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
    Also, any further info on IMR/ICR/INR and weather I should use them would be appreciated as well!

Thanks ahead of time!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    You'll do good with the Samsung 25R (20amp, 2500mah), another 2 comparable to it are the LG HE2 and HE4 are both good 20amp. 30amp you have only 2 options availabe, the Sony VTC4 (2100mah) and the LG HB6 (1500mah). The MXJO, I own 6 myself, use them in mated pairs of 3 in my dual battery boxes, they are 20amp, do fine, but like you stated they do not have the mah labelled, and most suspect they are just a re-wrap of maybe an LG or Samsung Cell.

Reactions: catlady60

Bryce87i

• Aug 9, 2015
    Oregon
    Exactly! These MXJO's run out of battery so fast it makes my head spin..
    The VTC4 is 2100 mAh so I want to go a little higher capacity than that.. same with the LG HB6 especially with only 1500 mAh.

What mAh are the LG HE2 and HE4? and what chemistry do they use? IMR, etc?

I had my eye on the Samsung 25R, it sounds perfect, but its not IMR, isnt it an ICR or something?
    Ive read battery articles before, but in short, what exactly would the difference be?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    With regulated mods, in VW mode, the coil resistance doesn't come into play when determining battery draw. The highest current draw will occur when the battery is at its lowest voltage. If we assume 3.2V for the low voltage cutoff for the Pegasus that results in 70W / 3.2V = 21.9V. At 50W you'll be drawing 15.6A worst case. Adjust cutoff voltage as necessary.

If at 50W the 3000mAh LG HG2 would be a great choice in my opinion. If running at the full 70W The 25R will be running very hard. I would recommend the VTC4. These recommendations assume a 3.2V cutoff in the Pegasus.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The VTC4 is 2100 mAh so I want to go a little higher capacity than that.. same with the LG HB6 especially with only 1500 mAh.

I had my eye on the Samsung 25R, it sounds perfect, but its not IMR, isnt it an ICR or something?
    Ive read battery articles before, but in short, what exactly would the difference be?

25R's aren't ICR. They are a "hybrid" chemistry, something between IMR and ICR in terms of safety and volatility in case of thermal runaway. Pretty darn safe though.

HE2's and HE4's are also hybrid chemistry batteries, the same chemistry as the 25R..."NMC", nickel-manganese-cobalt.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US

I'll tag you to @Mooch and @Baditude 's blogs, they are the real battery experts round these parts. But in regards to the Samsung 25R yes it is actually a hybrid, between and ICR and an IMR, think it is an INR. Right now it is the most solid battery cell out there, excellent for low end to upper mid level output, with great battery life and a very stable cell for our applications. When talking super high discharge current batteries, a true 30amp battery sacrifices Mah to reach those levels, generally always in the 1500 to 2100mah range, the Sony VTC5 which was 2500mah everyone thought was just as capable as its brothers the VTC4 and VTC3 (1600mah) turning out to be a 20amp not 30amp battery, then side by side, the VTC3 punched the heck out of the VTC4 in output but had less battery life, the HB6 IMO hits just as spectacularly as the VTC3 did in a mech, but as Mooch tested it runs a lot cooler than both the VTC3 and VTC4 at the 30amp range.

The HE2 and HE4 I believe are both 2500mah just like the Samsung 25R

/edit - yikes, Mooch showed up earlier than I could post =D

Reactions: Mooch

Bryce87i

• Aug 9, 2015
    Oregon
    Wow thanks for all the great info. And yes I believe the Hybrids are called INR. Thanks for clarifying about the 25R on that.

So I suppose its between the Samsung 25R with 2500mAh and 20A continuous (correct?)
    and my other option, would be LG HG2 with 3000mAh and 20A continuous (is that correct?)

Between the LG HG2 3000mAh and the HE2 2500mAh, whats the difference in continuous Amperage? Both 20A? both INR?

Also take into consideration the Pegasus has like, tons of protection and whatnot built-in - check it out if you havent yet.

So with all of that said, could you guys answer my questions above, and perhaps make a solid recommendation that you all agree upon? :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Wow thanks for all the great info. And yes I believe the Hybrids are called INR. Thanks for clarifying about the 25R on that.

So I suppose its between the Samsung 25R with 2500mAh and 20A continuous (correct?)
    and my other option, would be LG HG2 with 3000mAh and 20A continuous (is that correct?)

Between the LG HG2 3000mAh and the HE2 2500mAh, whats the difference in continuous Amperage? Both 20A? both INR?

Also take into consideration the Pegasus has like, tons of protection and whatnot built-in - check it out if you havent yet.

So with all of that said, could you guys answer my questions above, and perhaps make a solid recommendation that you all agree upon? :)

All of us agreeing? Hmm...tall order, that one is. :D

There are a bunch of hybrids NMC (INR), NCA, NCO, and some more obscure ones. All of them in between IMR and ICR batteries though in terms of safety.

I have a chart of safe amperages you can use the various batteries at based on my testing. It can be used to compare different batteries:

18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

The HE2 lasts only about 75% as long as the 25R at 20A down to 3.2V. I wouldn't choose that battery. And it is hot at 20A. The HE2 and HE2 are both rated 20A and both are INR.

There's no real winner between the 25R and the HG2. It depends on your preferences. The HG2 lasts longer but the 25R runs 8°C cooler at 20A. But since we pulse our batteries and you are using a regulated mod, my choice would be the HG2 for 20A and lower.

Last edited:

Bryce87i

• Aug 9, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks for the reply and info, I truly appreciate it.
    I dont think i'll need the chart, since I'm not going to be running a mech mod, or pulsing high amps or anything..

So let me again state that I will never be needing 20A continuous. In fact, I will only barely be passing 15A continuous at times.
    So as far as Continuous Amperage goes, lets just assume i'll be vaping between 12A-15A at all times.

-- With THAT said, which battery will give me the most battery life, while remaining cool (which I assume would be all since its low cont. Amp)?

-- Also, you said the 25R lasts 25% longer than the HE2 (both however rated at 2500mAh) - but firing it at roughly 15A or less, which one did you say would get hotter?

-- Lastly, the HG2 with 3000 mAh, which runs at 20A continuous, just like the others, the only difference is what? the operating temperature? and since I'm using a regulated VW boxmod thats only going to pull barely over 15A (or less) from it, will it make a difference in heat? Sounds like HG2 is the winner?

What do you guys think about all that?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The HG2 is what you want, in my opinion.

At less than 15A the HE2 and 25R will run so close in temperature that they're essentially the same.

All three of those batteries are 20A but the HG2 will last significantly longer before needing to be recharged. At 12A-15A there's just no difference in temperature that matters...buy the HG2. :)

Reactions: tj99959

Bryce87i

• Aug 9, 2015
    Oregon
    THANKS!

FINAL QUESTIONS:

-- The HG2 (3000mAh) has a 20A CDA just like the HE2 and 25R correct?

-- If I get the HG2 and end up firing it 15A-20A, will I notice any heat or performance difference between the others?

-- If I were to choose between the 25R and HE2, which one would perform better, and run cooler, when firing between 14A-18A?

-- Lastly, where is the CHEAPEST, and most RELIABLE, LEGITIMATE, and AUTHENTIC source to purchase each of these batteries?

Thanks ahead of time!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    THANKS!

FINAL QUESTIONS:

-- The HG2 (3000mAh) has a 20A CDA just like the HE2 and 25R correct?

-- If I get the HG2 and end up firing it 15A-20A, will I notice any heat or performance difference between the others?

-- If I were to choose between the 25R and HE2, which one would perform better, and run cooler, when firing between 14A-18A?

-- Lastly, where is the CHEAPEST, and most RELIABLE, LEGITIMATE, and AUTHENTIC source to purchase each of these batteries?

Thanks ahead of time!

As mentioned in my previous reply, all three are 20A CDR.
    As for your other questions, the differences in temperature are minor enough at those close current levels that in practical use it will make no difference. Choose the battery that has the longest running time and/or fits your budget.

You can check my battery test discharge graphs if you want more information about their running temperatures though. See my signature for the link.

I can't say who has the lowest prices because, for me, a dollar or two makes no difference for something that will last a couple of years. I'll just order the batteries from whichever place that also has the other stuff I might be getting. But it shouldn't take very long to find the lowest price from the good vendors. Be sure to check their shipping costs too. A $9 battery from one place could be less expensive than the same battery priced at $5 at another place. :)

Reliable sources include Illumn, Orbtronic, RTDVapor, and Liionwholesale.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So for the LG HG2 (3000mAh, 20A), which for applications under 20A would be best due to its higher mAh (correct?), in your personal experience where would be the best place to find the cheapest *authentic* LG HG2?

Any of the places I mentioned in my previous post. :)

It's best, in my opinion, for up to and including 20A not because it is a high capacity (mAh) battery but because it has the best combination of capacity (mAh), high voltage when being used, and temperature. There are batteries up to 3400mAh but they can only be used at a few amps.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So just curious, why isn't the HG2 more popular? i've barely ever heard it mentioned. Its always the HE2 that gets mentioned. Or the 25R, etc..
    Why is this?

The HG2 is finally being recommended more and more lately but the 25R has been the king for a while now so I think that's why everyone recommends it first. I still prefer the 25R for 20A and a bit higher as the HG2 runs several degrees hotter.

It might have been availability too. Everyone carried the 25R but not too many vendors, until recently, carried the HG2. I don't know why the HE2 and HE4 became so popular. The 25R lasts longer at 20A than either of them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread