Reo paint touch up

Status
Not open for further replies.

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
Dan, I have used a Birchwood Casey Presto Gun Blue Pen (magic marker type) that fills in my worn corners and small chips pretty well. It dries fast, is absorbed by the metal but is more matt than the wrinkle finish and would not be ideal for big scratches. It dries nearly black.

I have used Rustoleum Wrinkle finish spray paint on my car running boards that holds up well thru slush and snow and dries pretty hard and might hold up to being held a lot. Lately, I've just let her age gracefully with all the battle scars.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Two schools of thought, Dan.

1) Let her reflect her life story and do nothing. If you're like me and are of the "chicks dig scars" variety, this would mean that this mishap is really just one story in a patchwork wabi sabi journey.

2) Touch her up. Canadian Tire has truck bed liner and BBW products that would work. Michael's has hobby paint.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I personally wouldn't touch it up unless you want a flawless Reo. My Reo has a few marks from being dropped and the top cap did the ones by the 510. I consider them love marks. It's been a loyal device through every drop it's encountered through it's life time.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The quandary... Reos are in fact tools, and it's a given that tools get scars in use. But there is also a strong sense of pride of ownership of a Reo as well as it is among the best tools you will ever own. I've had lots of nice tools in my life for many, many different interest areas, those considered the best for their use, others the best but also custom made with the best of everything. And I still have many of them that I've had since I was quite young. Most saw daily use, with others it was a special day for a special project when they were used. Then I realized that the scars some wore were actually memories. I could recognize individual marks and remember back to when they occurred, often decades before and what i was doing, what caused the mishap. IOW they told a story of the life we had shared together, the good and the bad, and what we probably would have in our future. That made them even more special than the ones I had kept squirreled away and seldom used. I had put way too much importance on perfection when I myself was anything but perfect. We had a history together, the others were just acquaintances. I take good care of my things and most are as good as new. But they don't tell a story, so in the end they will never be my favorite tools because of that.

I finally dropped one of my Reos, a favorite, the LP Grand TRA. It bounced off a steel leg brace on the way down to the carpeted floor. So now it wears a very small nick in the side edge right next to the doors squonk cutout that I feel almost every time I squonk it. But the nick makes for a great reminder that I am not perfect either, have my own rough edges to be aware of when around other people. That's a good thing, so the nick is also a good thing because of that.

Long way of saying I probably wouldn't repair that black wrinkle Reo (I will not try to repair my LPG TRA). However, I would also make a pact with yourself that if you ever do drop a Reo again it will only be that one. ;) :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
See, I take really good care of my stuff. But then one day, boom - it drops and gets a scratch.
So, what to do?
Well...me, I buy a new one, and the one with a scratch becomes my road-warrior.
:D
That's what I did with my ProVari, and then that's what I did with my Reo.
So my black wrinkle grand now goes everywhere with me, and has slowly been getting that "I travel a bit" look. A lot like dbrandt's pix above. But my Woodvilles stay home - and they're spotless.
:D
If the resins come out, I kind of think those are MEANT for abuse - so I may get one, planning to jump the line - and still treat the wood like it's more delicate than it is...

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
The quandary... Reos are in fact tools, and it's a given that tools get scars in use. But there is also a strong sense of pride of ownership of a Reo as well as it is among the best tools you will ever own. I've had lots of nice tools in my life for many, many different interest areas, those considered the best for their use, others the best but also custom made with the best of everything. And I still have many of them that I've had since I was quite young. Most saw daily use, with others it was a special day for a special project when they were used. Then I realized that the scars some wore were actually memories. I could recognize individual marks and remember back to when they occurred, often decades before and what i was doing, what caused the mishap. IOW they told a story of the life we had shared together, the good and the bad, and what we probably would have in our future. That made them even more special than the ones I had kept squirreled away and seldom used. I had put way too much importance on perfection when I myself was anything but perfect. We had a history together, the others were just acquaintances. I take good care of my things and most are as good as new. But they don't tell a story, so in the end they will never be my favorite tools because of that.

I finally dropped one of my Reos, a favorite, the LP Grand TRA. It bounced off a steel leg brace on the way down to the carpeted floor. So now it wears a very small nick in the side edge right next to the doors squonk cutout that I feel almost every time I squonk it. But the nick makes for a great reminder that I am not perfect either, have my own rough edges to be aware of when around other people. That's a good thing, so the nick is also a good thing because of that.

Long way of saying I probably wouldn't repair that black wrinkle Reo (I will not try to repair my LPG TRA). However, I would also make a pact with yourself that if you ever do drop a Reo again it will only be that one. ;) :)

That right there is the kind of wisdom that only comes from experience. *salute* Well, said!

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Thanks everyone for all the sage advise I received, I have decided to leave the battle scars exactly as they are. I have also thought of a name for my Reo, Road Warrior!, because it came out of it first battle with only a few nicks and bruises. Lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread