Jesse Hathaway: Government Grant Funding Corrupts Tobacco Research, Holds Back Scientific Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Very concise article exposing the corruption of science by Big Government.
It would be nice if George Orwell was around to chime in on this.
Given their history of actively inserting policy objectives into the scientific process, government agencies such as FDA and NIH should be removed from the grant-funding business. Congress should rewrite their appropriations accordingly.

The FDA, CDC, and NIH are offering wads of cash to anyone who will find support for their agenda.
And their agenda, for some reason, seems to have nothing to do with truth or science.

It's a sad state of affairs, and there seems to be only two good choices...
--Remove politics from the equation
--Abolish these agencies altogether in favor of a less political approach

Neither one can be accomplished if these affairs are left to remain in the status quo.
And when I say "these affairs" I mean the types of politicians we elect.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
--Abolish these agencies altogether in favor of a less political approach

That would be my "druthers" -- in fact, I think the ENTIRE gov't is in need of a complete overhaul. If it takes another revolution... so be it.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That would be my "druthers" -- in fact, I think the ENTIRE gov't is in need of a complete overhaul. If it takes another revolution... so be it.
It will definitely take a revolution, although it need not necessarily be an armed one...
Poll shows 29 percent of voters think 'armed revolution' might be needed | Fox News

All it might take is for each person, who believes REAL CHANGE is needed, to cast their vote appropriately.
I hope there would be enough of us to get a "different kind of candidate" into office.

And if I'm wrong about that, then there really is no hope left.
But I am quite certain that "our" numbers continue to grow and gain momentum.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Scientific inquiry looks for repeatable results, which come to be known as 'the truth' on a matter after rigorous testing. Those holding the purse strings are looking for consensus rather than truth.
To loosely quote Michael Crichton, "Consensus is the business of politics..."
It's much easier to buy consensus than it is to buy truth. Most people being paid just go along.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Seems to me it's all this paying that has corrupted science. If someone pays you for something, then that's a product, not science. We need a whole new definition of science as something that is NOT paid for. It just IS.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Seems to me it's all this paying that has corrupted science. If someone pays you for something, then that's a product, not science. We need a whole new definition of science as something that is NOT paid for. It just IS.
I thought that WAS the definition of science.
Anything other than that is not science in any way, shape, or form.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I thought that WAS the definition of science.
Anything other than that is not science in any way, shape, or form.

Well, those purporting to do science seem to think there's supposed to be some payment, to get it to come out the way the payor wants. Obviously the definition of science needs to be made clear to them.

Andria

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
It costs money to do scientific research. There's no way around it unless you're flying a home-built kite in an electrical storm, and a lot of that has already been figured out.
What's changed is the incentive to do the research in the first place. It used to be inquiry.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Two more FDA funding opportunities were announced this week:

FDA/NIH to waste another $3 million to fund 10 activist researchers to further exaggerate risks of hookah/shisha, demonize the products, and advocate even more unwarranted FDA regulations (as FDA’s proposed Deeming Regulation would ban ALL nicotine shisha/hookah products 24 months after issuance of Final Rule)
Search Grants | GRANTS.GOV
RFA-OD-15-005: Chemistry, Toxicology, and Addiction Research on Waterpipe Tobacco (R01)

FDA/NIH to waste yet another $5 million to study mandating nicotine reductions in cigarettes (which prompts smokers to smoke more cigarettes and inhale more deeply)
Search Grants | GRANTS.GOV
RFA-OD-15-006: Abuse Liability Associated with Reduced Nicotine Content Tobacco Products (R01)

And yet, just several weeks ago, a FDA funded study by Benowitz (who has advocated mandatory nicotine reductions in cigarettes for past two decades) found reducing nicotine levels in cigarettes didn’t reduce likelihood of smoking cessation
Effect of reducing the nicotine content of cigarettes on cigarette smoking behavior and tobacco smoke toxicant exposure: 2-year follow up - Benowitz - 2015 - Addiction - Wiley Online Library
Low-Nicotine Cigarettes Fail to Sway Smokers | UC San Francisco
Low-Nicotine Cigarettes Won't Necessarily Help Smokers Stop
Lower nicotine cigarettes, e-cigs not helping smokers quit - UPI.com

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That's all it was used for, they merely have a new target now.

Perhaps if individuals and organizations hadn't spent so much time and money and made a career out of demonizing smoking and cigarettes, the same wouldn't be happening now with e-cigarettes...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The FDA, CDC, and NIH are offering wads of cash to anyone who will find support for their agenda.
And their agenda, for some reason, seems to have nothing to do with truth or science.

I'm glad this story of corruption came out in mainstream media.

Another one from what some think as the ultimate in mainstream media:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/s...not-as-strong-as-claimed-study-says.html?_r=0

"The past several years have been bruising ones for the credibility of the social sciences. A star social psychologist was caught fabricating data, leading to more than 50 retracted papers."

“I think we knew or suspected that the literature had problems, but to see it so clearly, on such a large scale — it’s unprecedented,” said Jelte Wicherts, an associate professor in the department of methodology and statistics at Tilburg University in the Netherlands.'

The piece is about psychology studies but it is a problem in many studies as explained here:

"Dr. John Ioannidis, a director of Stanford University’s Meta-Research Innovation Center, who once estimated that about half of published results across medicine were inflated or wrong, noted the proportion in psychology was even larger than he had thought. He said the problem could be even worse in other fields, including cell biology, economics, neuroscience, clinical medicine, and animal research.

"The report appears at a time when the number of retractions of published papers is rising sharply in a wide variety of disciplines. Scientists have pointed to a hypercompetitive culture across science that favors novel, sexy results and provides little incentive for researchers to replicate the findings of others, or for journals to publish studies that fail to find a splashy result."

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
"The report appears at a time when the number of retractions of published papers is rising sharply in a wide variety of disciplines. Scientists have pointed to a hypercompetitive culture across science that favors novel, sexy results and provides little incentive for researchers to replicate the findings of others, or for journals to publish studies that fail to find a splashy result."
Which is clearly an indictment of what mainstream media has now become.

So who's to blame for the perversion of both science and media?
In the end, it's us.

Yeah, money is a big part of the problem.
But it still comes down to us.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So who's to blame for the perversion of both science and media?
In the end, it's us.

No... this isn't a Rolling Stones' song. :- ) And we didn't do that either. I'd put it on gov't schools for not teaching logic only propaganda - only then can some people, not all, and only a certain segment of society, fall for that stuff. That is - they fall for it until something in their lives is actually affected and they have first hand knowledge of it. It is at that point, that some will re-evaluate all the other stuff that they've bought into through their media and education. Some won't, though - they'd lose most of their friends and maybe even have to get divorced, change churches, charities, clubs, etc. etc. Most are unwilling to do that. They have to blank out that part of their mind and there will be repercussions from that too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread