CALIFORNIA VAPERS: Things are getting ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I actually won't be surprised at all if there is language in the final deeming distinguishing between cigars and "little cigars." After all, they're not really interested in going after "cigar smokers," they're interested in closing the loophole of people selling cheap "cigarettes" as "little cigars."

This is what the Cigar and Pipe tobacco people want.

The Law may say that "tobacco Products" should Only be sold Face-2-Face. But they are Asking the FDA to just not Enforce it when it comes to Premium Cigars and Pipe tobacco.

Of course, No One actually has a Definition for what a Premium Cigar is. But in the Immortal Words of Sen. Harkin....

"I know it when I See It."

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's coming, but after they pass a VAT to make up for lost revenue...

Maybe it would just be Easier for California to Pass a Flat Tax. So that if you are a California Resident, you have to fork over 49.7% of Everything you make?

And if you are just Visiting California, then they Pro-Rate you at 49.7% for everyday you are in the State divided by 365 (366 in Leap Years).

Of course. There would need to be Certain Exemptions. Like say if you made over $225,000 of Combined Income per Household. Or $150,000 as an Individual.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Maybe it would just be Easier for California to Pass a Flat Tax. So that if you are a California Resident, you have to fork over 49.7% of Everything you make?

And if you are just Visiting California, then they Pro-Rate you at 49.7% for everyday you are in the State divided by 365 (366 in Leap Years).

Of course. There would need to be Certain Exemptions. Like say if you made over $225,000 of Combined Income per Household. Or $150,000 as an Individual.

I am actually not opposed to VAT and progressive tax. It works in CR, but the Czech Republic has 1/3rd the population of California. The money there doesn't get wasted like it would in California or the US. The Czechs have a history of defenestration when politicians get out of line. Sandra pays no income tax if she puts a % of her salary in a private retirement plan, like a 401K. She has access to medical, vision and dental services 'free' of charge and continuing educational programs. Her employer also offers benefits like paying for designer eyewear, and things like a spa treatment once a month and 4 weeks of vacation a year. The roads are in great shape in Plzen where she lives, there is a world class fitness center where she works out free of charge- it has a nominal fee once she turns 25, there are great museums and cultural events sponsored by the city- like movie night at the town square and Thank You America Week and public transport is amazing. When I get her pregnant she will have 12 months off of work and I will have up to 6 months. When we buy a flat or house we will be able to get a 50 year mortgage if we like...

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I am actually not opposed to VAT and progressive tax. It works in CR, but the Czech Republic has 1/3rd the population of California. The money there doesn't get wasted like it would in California or the US. The Czechs have a history of defenestration when politicians get out of line. Sandra pays no income tax if she puts a % of her salary in a private retirement plan, like a 401K. She has access to medical, vision and dental services 'free' of charge and continuing educational programs. Her employer also offers benefits like paying for designer eyewear, and things like a spa treatment once a month and 4 weeks of vacation a year. The roads are in great shape in Plzen where she lives, there is a world class fitness center where she works out free of charge- it has a nominal fee once she turns 25, there are great museums and cultural events sponsored by the city- like movie night at the town square and Thank You America Week and public transport is amazing. When I get her pregnant she will have 12 months off of work and I will have up to 6 months. When we buy a flat or house we will be able to get a 50 year mortgage if we like...
Unfortunately, since we couldn't even get to a single payer health care system, I don't see us completely revamping our society.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
After some thought, rereading the bill, and a discussion on facebook, I think the tax will work like this:
Cigarettes are about $3 wholesale(I think), and the new tax will be $2.87, which is roughly 95%
So, vapor products, will be taxed at about 95% of wholesale. No fancy math about what actually equals a pack of cigarettes.

If a B&M pays $10 for a bottle of liquid right now, it will soon cost them $19.50. You can bet that cost increase will be passed along to us.

ETA: it is also unclear what this tax would actually apply to. They seem to want to include hardware, 0mg, and anything that can be used to make e-liquid in the definition of tobacco product. So will VG at wallymart have an increased tax? Batteries?
if it goes that way things wont be that bad. if however they are looking for
equivalency and determine 18 drops of juice = 1 pack a cigarettes your looking
at $69.91 per 30 ml at 95% 25.6 packs for 30 ml at 95% of $2.87 a pack.
regards
mike

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
I live in Ky tobacco central and it's pretty bad here too, let me tell you. Not nearly as bad as California and New York, I can still buy a pack of cigarettes here for about 5.00 which is pretty good compared to those states. Ky has major flaws but the preachy annoying self-righteous bonehead health nazis have gotten some traction here too. One local vape shop in Lexington was run out of town by an ordinance claiming that vaping was some kind of "health risk". That particular one was probably singled out because it was near campus, the nazis probably thought some poor college kid might discover vaping. People are sick of it, but mark my words the anti-vaping smear campaign won't hold water because the facts simply don't support it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
People are sick of it, but mark my words the anti-vaping smear campaign won't hold water because the facts simply don't support it.
Although I remain ever hopeful that you are right...
I hope you'll forgive me if I "mark your words" in pencil...

My faith in common sense and justice preclude me from using a pen.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
if it goes that way things wont be that bad. if however they are looking for
equivalency and determine 18 drops of juice = 1 pack a cigarettes your looking
at $69.91 per 30 ml at 95% 25.6 packs for 30 ml at 95% of $2.87 a pack.
regards
mike

This is something that has come Back to Haunt Us over and over again.

And that is those Ridiculous Claims by the original Cig-a-Like Retailers/OEM's that 1ml of e-Liquid was equivalent to a Pack of Cigarettes.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Haha, I hope I am right. I sense that there's a strong tide of libertarianism out there. People are sick of fake ... politicians and the health goons who are really just fear mongers telling us what we can do, where we can go, etc etc. I can smell them a mile away, they always have enormous heads & never smile. It's the nanny state. It's an uphill battle, but the thing in our favor is that you cannot equate vaping to cigarette smoking no matter how much they'd like to. Vaping hurts no one. It's water vapor. And some vape not even to get nicotine, but just because they enjoy a smoke. Nobody could make a rational argument that vaping is dangerous to non vapers. No facts to bear that out. If they're going to say that, they should say that communal showering should be banned because the vapors and steam might endanger someone. Come on.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
This is something that has come Back to Haunt Us over and over again.

And that is those Ridiculous Claims by the original Cig-a-Like Retailers/OEM's that 1ml of e-Liquid was equivalent to a Pack of Cigarettes.
i am willing to say perhaps they were exaggerated.
most did say results will vary from user to user.
my experience led me to believe at least for me
the estimates were in the ballpark.
regards
mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i am willing to say perhaps they were exaggerated.
most did say results will vary from user to user.
my experience led me to believe at least for me
the estimates were in the ballpark.
regards
mike

Here's the Problem. How many people are using 1ml/day Today?

If they are going to peg a Tax on e-Liquids base lined on PAD Smoking, would $2.87/ml be Realistic?

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Here's the Problem. How many people are using 1ml/day Today?

If they are going to peg a Tax on e-Liquids base lined on PAD Smoking, would $2.87/ml be Realistic?
if they are using cigalikes very realistic.
if California is looking for equivalence they will have
to come up with a baseline. what that would be is
anybody's guess.
my guess is if they have read my posts we all are
in trouble.
regards
mike

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
if they are using cigalikes very realistic.
if California is looking for equivalence they will have
to come up with a baseline. what that would be is
anybody's guess.
my guess is if they have read my posts we all are
in trouble.
regards
mike

I don't think it is even Realist for people who use Cig-a-Likes. And I'm not sure How Many people could get Off Cigarettes using 1ml/day.

If using an e-Cigarette costs 3 Times more than Smoking, what do you think would happen to the Rate at which people are Switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread