Need help with Starre!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Not sure what it happening, but the atomizer makes like a firing/hissing sound for a second even after I release the fire button. Even after priming, all my coils are scorching after a few hits. What gives?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
What mod are you using? What coil in the Starre? How many watts are you running?
I like the Starre! It produces good clouds/flavor and a coil is lasting about 2-3 weeks vaping it everyday ...
Hissing could be caused by trying to vape it at too low of wattage, not vaporizing all the juice in the wick..don't know for sure...also if the coil is truly scorched when you look in the top of the coil where the screen is it would probly be black...if you see white cotton then I'd definitely bump up the wattage a bit...I've vaped my .2 ohm coil as high as 85w without burning the wick, but vaping that high is definitely too hot for me.. Hope you get it worked out as the Starre is a great Subtank.

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyO

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
Thanks for the reply. I've used 2 Maganus .5 coils and a Atlantis .5 coil so far. All my hits taste burnt now. I started around 30w, noticed the hissing starting to go away when I went to 40+. I see tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tank itself, but I don't see any bubbling coming from the actual wicking holes on the coil. Top of the cotton on the coil is brownish.

Edit: using iStick 50

Reactions: smacksy

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I've used 2 Maganus .5 coils and a Atlantis .5 coil so far. All my hits taste burnt now. I started around 30w, noticed the hissing starting to go away when I went to 40+. I see tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tank itself, but I don't see any bubbling coming from the actual wicking holes on the coil. Top of the cotton on the coil is brownish.

Edit: using iStick 50

As long as your seeing bubbles you know the wick is getting juice..I've noticed alot of folks tend to vape these subtanks at too low of power..
The .2 ohm coil in the Starre is rated up to 100w, and the .25 in my Maganus is up to 150w..but who in the hell vapes at a 150w? I don't that's for sure, lol
Don't be afraid to bump up that wattage to at least 55w or so and see if that works for you .you can always turn it back down if it doesn't... Good luck with figuring it out...

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get another coil, and saturate it nice and good. My juice is pretty thick, 90% VG, but the Starre's always been up to the task before in that regard.

Can the first fire on a new coil be at a higher wattage on these, like 40+?

Sure, but I'd gradually bump it up after taking a hits..to above 50w at least..BTW
I vape VG max in the Starre with no issues at all...

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
If your wicks are looking black and burned they are no dought getting burned due to dryness.

Close down your air holes about half way down and suck without pressing the firing button a few times.

this will bring more juice into the coil area and lower your power a little.

If too much power is used it cooks the juice out in a hurry and your wicks will get dry.

A lot of draws in rapid sucession has been known to dry out your cotton and the wicks have to have

time for the ejuice to wick up again for more vaping.

Your vaping speed and your air holes and vg/pg mix and level of power and how quick your wicks get wet again all contribute

to a possible dry wick and black burned spots.

It takes some experimenting to get your mod adjusted for your habits.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get another coil, and saturate it nice and good. My juice is pretty thick, 90% VG, but the Starre's always been up to the task before in that regard.

When using a brand new coil----if you turn down your power at first until the coil gets good and wet

it mite help reduce a possible burn caused by dry wicks.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014

As a final thought when I install a new coil I prime it with a few drops of juice in the top and continue with a few more drops until I can see a color change in the juice holes in the sides letting me know its thoroughly saturated..then after its back on the mod I take several pulls without firing it until I see those tiny bubbles rise up telling me it's ready for my first hit... Just sayin

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
As a final thought when I install a new coil I prime it with a few drops of juice in the top and continue with a few more drops until I can see a color change in the juice holes in the sides letting me know its thoroughly saturated..then after its back on the mod I take several pulls without firing it until I see those tiny bubbles rise up telling me it's ready for my first hit... Just sayin

Thank you. My B&M that carries the Maganus coils was closed, so I went with a Herakles .2 to try. Gonna let it soak for a couple hours while I sleep and try it out.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Same story....the coils aren't wicking in the tank...my juice isnt that thick. I'm at a loss

That's really odd.. I mean I'm vaping my 6th tank of juice on a .2 ohm coil I installed 3 days ago...
I'm running it at 58w on my little IPVD2
without no issues at all... Still wicking very fast and can't even come close to a dry hit even chain vaping it...(have to quit after 5 pulls back-to-back due to the stainless drip tip getting too hot, lol)
Superb flavor and decent clouds from the first hit till I have to refill and/or swap the battery out...
Wish I knew why people are having wicking problems with it..

Reactions: thetrucker

DaddyO

Feb 17, 2015
Michigan
That's really odd.. I mean I'm vaping my 6th tank of juice on a .2 ohm coil I installed 3 days ago...
I'm running it at 58w on my little IPVD2
without no issues at all... Still wicking very fast and can't even come close to a dry hit even chain vaping it...(have to quit after 5 pulls back-to-back due to the stainless drip tip getting too hot, lol)
Superb flavor and decent clouds from the first hit till I have to refill and/or swap the battery out...
Wish I knew why people are having wicking problems with it..

Correction, this Herakles coil is wicking, but it's still doing the short hiss after the fire button is released, and tastes burnt somewhat, but still acceptable. Vaping it at 40w. I don't know whether to blame my tank or my juice, I even thinned the juice a little with distilled water, and still the same result.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
30-75w was the range I believe. My iStick won't go past 50 though

That could be the problem... Not enough mod...I mean sure, you can max it out at 50w but batt life would be short...
I happen to have the Herkakes with the .2 ohm coil on this IPV4...above 55w makes this tank come alive... At 60w it's awesome..At 65w it starts to get a little dry because it can't wick fast enough to keep up, but 60w, as you can see here in this sorta blurry pic, is definitely my sweet spot...
e3997ad3deb5a3872ecff592db9e9ea7.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread