Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfecta_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2015
Colorado
Told you I was going to flatten all the things. Whipped these up for a friend of mine. 3x28n80/36n80 6 wraps .15Ω on his MXV3.

HmnPARK.jpg

As usual, the pics don't do these beautiful things justice.
Looking for recommendations on a cheap ish camera setup that will take nicer pics. I have a crappy HTC one cell phone and use my galaxy tablet to take these. Any recommendations without breaking the bank?
I have an old iPhone 4s. Was thinking maybe a cheap tripod/macro lens? Frustrating not being able to capture it how I'd like to.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
i spy with my slimy eyes authentic sapors @ ft But they are four post orelse i would try a couple :(

ew & i just noticed they are bottom/side fed air yukyuk leakleak no good for my big bore bottle droppers :D
Don't waste the $14.99....I've gone through one and then another brand new replacement from a local B&M. The Center post & center pin weren't thought through too well. This may be the one time I would recommend a clone over an authentic lol. And it's top air slip...bottom air Sapor? Odd....

It's decent. A friend of mine uses the Skeleton Key mech mod which I like as well for it's simplicity. The adjustable feature is nice, I can control the energy input to the coils and somewhat control the coil temperature with the TC feature. I like the Snow Wolf 200 also but decided on this box mod. It works fairly good but on TC mode eats up the battery faster than watt mode. Overall it's fine as a power source, a bit hefty in weight but fits in the pocket well. Just bought some new juices so I'm of course vaping it today to try out all of the new flavors. Upgraded 3 vials to 8mg but I'll probably shoot next time for 12 or 16 mg just to test as I'm still smoking analogs and can't get off the kick. Friend gave me 2 new packs of Winston Salem 100s gold menthol. Also smoke a VUSE cheapo but with the 48 mg in such a small puff it's sort of overstrong and weak at the same time. I need that flavor to do it for me.
What are you building with? Kanthal, Nichrome, Ni200?

I need a better cam setup so bad. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. Believe it or not, every photo I've taken of builds is using a galaxy note 8. 5MP no flash, no macro, no nothing, just hold it as close as I can in focus, and zoom. Sucks. My phone camera sucks too. I actually have an old Iphone 4s I may buy a clip for, would probably be better then my tablet lol.

I nailed the stitched aliens last night, they look neat, but I'm not satisfied with 26/32/36 Looks kinds bulky, and I believe because of the 2 cores, the "stitch" doesn't line up quite perfectly all the way around. Bothers my OCD. Thinking of trying 26/36/40 3 core but im already dreading threading the 40 through the decored 36.

Soooo.. lightly flattening these stitched aliens gives them the uniform look that I like...actually it was more of a medium flatten.

I just picked up a jewelers block and hammer, so now I want to flatten all the things. :danger:

Yeah with that stitched alien you're going to get some twisting, but you take it out when you coil up the wire. Atleast that's how I deal with it lol. Now you have to nail interlocking aliens, then triple interlocking aliens....good luck! :D Interlocking aliens are the only ones I've been having trouble with lately. It might just be because I haven't tried it past 32g, maybe 34g would be easier.

Now it's time to drop the mic with the new build. 4 strand 28g N80 core 30g N80 arched Clapton parallel to a single strand of .5x.1mm ribbon KA1 claptoned with 40g N80
image.jpg
image.jpg

I cut it down to 5 wraps, 4 on the bottom side facing up, 5 on the top side facing down. I'm
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Hey Tom my comment on the bottom/side fed air.... i just went to get the pic for you and i saw the atty all wrong, dam! i'm having to many late nights and little sleep..

i will show you the pic i looked at and bare in mind i did only take a real quick peek and didnt read any info on it before hand..$15.73 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Thanks for the advice though Tom mate ;) got be honest ive been spoilt now what with the 2 post Velocity im loving

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Hey Tom my comment on the bottom/side fed air.... i just went to get the pic for you and i saw the atty all wrong, dam! i'm having to many late nights and little sleep..

i will show you the pic i looked at and bare in mind i did only take a real quick peek and didnt read any info on it before hand..$15.73 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Thanks for the advice though Tom mate ;) got be honest ive been spoilt now what with the 2 post Velocity im loving
STRO mini v1...don't get the v2, they tried to do too much with it and it has bottom & side airflow. Why not get a Phenotype-L? 2 post design massive post holes, made by Aria so it's quality..only thing is there's so much airflow on it, but it's adjustable. Btw, Petri sized aliens 28/34g 3 core. Comes in at a .15 at 6 wraps on a 2.5mm bit. Post holes were not harmed in the process although I may bore them out to 1/16" or 1.5mm - 1.8mm
image.jpg

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
Don't waste the $14.99....I've gone through one and then another brand new replacement from a local B&M. The Center post & center pin weren't thought through too well. This may be the one time I would recommend a clone over an authentic lol. And it's top air slip...bottom air Sapor? Odd....

Yeah with that stitched alien you're going to get some twisting, but you take it out when you coil up the wire. Atleast that's how I deal with it lol. Now you have to nail interlocking aliens, then triple interlocking aliens....good luck! :D Interlocking aliens are the only ones I've been having trouble with lately. It might just be because I haven't tried it past 32g, maybe 34g would be easier.

Now it's time to drop the mic with the new build. 4 strand 28g N80 core 30g N80 arched Clapton parallel to a single strand of .5x.1mm ribbon KA1 claptoned with 40g N80 View attachment 485093 View attachment 485095
I cut it down to 5 wraps, 4 on the bottom side facing up, 5 on the top side facing down. I'm View attachment 485127 View attachment 485131

What atty is that brother?

Side note, my Sapor went downhill fast. I'm glad it wasn't a $75-100 atty. I have the new doge on its way, and hopefully that mod we were talking about will be out sooner than later.

Gotta get back to making coils for people.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
What atty is that brother?

Side note, my Sapor went downhill fast. I'm glad it wasn't a $75-100 atty. I have the new doge on its way, and hopefully that mod we were talking about will be out sooner than later.

Gotta get back to making coils for people.
That's my Hobo v3.1. And my second Sapor had the same problem when I ran it at 70w. I'll never buy anything from Wotofo again. I've had clones that have lasted longer than both of my Sapor's combined.

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Good question. The wire on my RDA I think is just a steel alloy. Have no clue since the wire box doesn't indicate the metal and specifications of the alloy. Definitely not nickel pure for TC mode as I had to rebuild the atomizer with another replacement, aluminum attachment with two coils using the same wire. Cigreen Trinangle burnt out and snapped some of the grounding wires somehow, major bummer. But the new RDA or my original one is now coiled and wicked simply with 5 wraps 8mg drip. Like this setup better. The wire manufacturer I don't think offers nickel wire for coils but instead uses some type of high chromium stainless steel or something like that. Coils still get patina so not too sure about metals in my spool other than it being likely Kanthal alloy. Unsure if using my box mod in TC mode caused the coil degradation. Puffing massive clouds now on 50 watt only power mode, no joule mode.

Superfecta_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2015
Colorado
Sup coilheads. Here's what I did today. These are muti strand framed fused claptons. Specs are 30x40n80 framed with 2x26n80 fused with 40g and flattened fairly substantially. I actually don't have an RDA free to pop em in right now. First world problems, right?

I'm considering ordering the Phenotype-L. Anyone here have one/have used one?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA

Uh, just so you know Slippy, if that pic is exactly what they are selling then that's definitely not an authentic Sapor. I'm sure Tom can tell you that on the authentic the post holes are all the same size and are pretty big. In that pic, it looks like many pics of clones on angelcigs, the post holes in the center are smaller than the neg posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Sup coilheads. Here's what I did today. These are muti strand framed fused claptons. Specs are 30x40n80 framed with 2x26n80 fused with 40g and flattened fairly substantially. I actually don't have an RDA free to pop em in right now. First world problems, right?

I'm considering ordering the Phenotype-L. Anyone here have one/have used one?

That's why I do my framed coils with 28g.,..2*26+(X*high gauge)+wrap = huge lol. The phenotype L could def handle those. Check around insta, there's a pic of it with an 8 core staggered fused (I just keep asking myself why do you need 8 cores). Either that or since they're 30x40g, 40g is like hair, light twist on it and 30 strands still come out to a smaller strand than 1x26g. What atty's do you currently have? Check back a few pages, I remember seeing a phenotype-L somewhere. I'm interested in it too, but I'm leaning more towards the Pugio, Kennedy 24, or Aeolus v2

Put this in my new derringer! View attachment 485347
Very nice, what is it?

Good question. The wire on my RDA I think is just a steel alloy. Have no clue since the wire box doesn't indicate the metal and specifications of the alloy. Definitely not nickel pure for TC mode as I had to rebuild the atomizer with another replacement, aluminum attachment with two coils using the same wire. Cigreen Trinangle burnt out and snapped some of the grounding wires somehow, major bummer. But the new RDA or my original one is now coiled and wicked simply with 5 wraps 8mg drip. Like this setup better. The wire manufacturer I don't think offers nickel wire for coils but instead uses some type of high chromium stainless steel or something like that. Coils still get patina so not too sure about metals in my spool other than it being likely Kanthal alloy. Unsure if using my box mod in TC mode caused the coil degradation. Puffing massive clouds now on 50 watt only power mode, no joule mode.

Premade coils from the Cigreen atty's box? Uh oh. China mystery wire! I highly suggest picking up a spool of kanthal & ni200, you can get 100ft for like $7. Go for either 24/26g kanthal A1 and 28g Ni200 for TC. I just made my father who was in the hospital for the last week a fused 28g Ni200/40g N80 Clapton for his IPV4, I gotta figure out how to install it though...it's a massive coil lol

Last edited:

Superfecta_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2015
Colorado
That's why I do my framed coils with 28g.,..2*26+(X*high gauge)+wrap = huge lol. The phenotype L could def handle those. Check around insta, there's a pic of it with an 8 core staggered fused (I just keep asking myself why do you need 8 cores). Either that or since they're 30x40g, 40g is like hair, light twist on it and 30 strands still come out to a smaller strand than 1x26g. What atty's do you currently have? Check back a few pages, I remember seeing a phenotype-L somewhere. I'm interested in it too, but I'm leaning more towards the Pugio, Kennedy 24, or Aeolus v2

It fits NP in most of mine, I just cba to rip out a gorgeous build to pop 'em in. I did it tho, pulled some beautiful 3x26/36 aliens out of my Twisted Messes and loaded em in. Great vape, I actually like it more then the aliens. Warm, but I've been into super warm vape lately. Those ohm's out at .08, great on the snowwolf at 140w.

Attys in my current rotation include Tug v2, Velocity, MXv3, Twisted Messes, and a Derringer. I was looking at the petri 1.5, but bleh, if I got that, I'd just drill the holes into 1 to make it just like the phenotype anyhow.

Another option I'm considering is just picking up a few extra decks for the Twisted Messes, they are reasonable, so would make having more loaded attys cheaper, but I'm really digging the posts on the pheno L.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
@Tom Forde
It's a 26g/32g clapton. Pretty simple by today's standards, but still an awesome performer. Came out to .9 ohms, solid vape at 30w on my istick 30w. Hoping to get the istick 100w soon, can't wait to see what it'll do on that.
On vapingcheap.com I saw a deal for the istick 100w going for $32 & change. I think that's a fair price.

It fits NP in most of mine, I just cba to rip out a gorgeous build to pop 'em in. I did it tho, pulled some beautiful 3x26/36 aliens out of my Twisted Messes and loaded em in. Great vape, I actually like it more then the aliens. Warm, but I've been into super warm vape lately. Those ohm's out at .08, great on the snowwolf at 140w.

Attys in my current rotation include Tug v2, Velocity, MXv3, Twisted Messes, and a Derringer. I was looking at the petri 1.5, but bleh, if I got that, I'd just drill the holes into 1 to make it just like the phenotype anyhow.

Another option I'm considering is just picking up a few extra decks for the Twisted Messes, they are reasonable, so would make having more loaded attys cheaper, but I'm really digging the posts on the pheno L.
Check out the Pugio by Hyon. The deck on it is pretty awesome. Too bad the price tag is $149.99.
@vapeNoob4 I have my sig100w and a sig50w vr2 but I'll never get rid of my mechs. My AV peg mod is my go to mech and I also have a Dimitri box. There's just something about mechs that I like, it's probably the durability and knowledge that I can't blow up a chip. And I can put my stupid low builds on them.

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Uh, just so you know Slippy, if that pic is exactly what they are selling then that's definitely not an authentic Sapor. I'm sure Tom can tell you that on the authentic the post holes are all the same size and are pretty big. In that pic, it looks like many pics of clones on angelcigs, the post holes in the center are smaller than the neg posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the thing with FT they will bring out so many versions of the same atty that some are awful and some can be better but what i did wanna show you is that on the same batch of those sapor's they did have this one which has all the same size post holes just to show you the variations that can happen between two items numbers but the same name $13.61 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

i only post the attys for you guys cus i see you all are interested in them, i'm still vvery happy with my Velocity and Tmesses and have no intentions on any more buys any time soon :)

I have a Question Tom, what template wire did you wrap your clapton wire over for the 4x 28g arched. The vid on youtube that shows the arched wire tutorial uses 3x 26g and 20g as the template? i dont remember its been a while

Superfecta_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2015
Colorado
Check out the Pugio by Hyon. The deck on it is pretty awesome. Too bad the price tag is $149.99.

Well, I decided to hold off on the pheno-L.. for now. I just want to see more reviews/feedback on it before I take the leap.. probably buy one later this month. Went to twisted messes site to order a couple decks and saw he released a blacked out RDA w/ gold plated pos pin. I'll let you know what I think in a couple days. :banana:

Reactions: Tom Forde

vapeNoob4

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2015
Premade coils from the Cigreen atty's box? Uh oh. China mystery wire! I highly suggest picking up a spool of kanthal & ni200, you can get 100ft for like $7. Go for either 24/26g kanthal A1 and 28g Ni200 for TC. I just made my father who was in the hospital for the last week a fused 28g Ni200/40g N80 Clapton for his IPV4, I gotta figure out how to install it though...it's a massive coil lol
Yeah. The wire box says on it UD Roll Coils Youde Technology. The sticker on the back says '28 awg*2*Ribbon*5m Twisted Kanthal (3 wires).'

For my taste it's a little brittle of a wire which I don't like since the terminals clamp it down sometimes the grounding terminal snaps the 3 wire twist and then the whole vape misfires which I hate. Had to rebuild a few days ago with a 2-post atty in the simplest of 5 wraps with medium wick.

Now it works fine. Still in my opinion a bit of a mystery. Manufacturers website here for the wire. Likely wire in the coil I'm guessing.

Stuff seems brittle in my opinion in the future I will probably just roll a pure nickel non-twisted wire for ease and temperature control. This twisted wire snapped and caused one of my coils to non-ground itself between the grounding terminal and the coil. Fixed but hazard for sure if not noticed while dripping the juice. Overall though I'm actually using the same wire in a two post, two coil build on a aluminum atty which works fine. 5 wraps and good wick job (pat on back). Thing throws clouds pretty good on 50w with lots of airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread