Status
Not open for further replies.

vapealone

Jun 16, 2015
TheBloke I would really like to give me some estimated temperatures for NiFe52. For example I use 160C on dna40 for Resistherm and 120 on yihi.

How is the tcr on NiFe52? Is it usable with dna40 and yihi?
Thanks a lot
I would suggest some dry cotton experiment. If you know your Ni200 preference do a dry burn with it than repeat it with NiFe and adjust temp until you got the same result and this is it. Alternatively, check out the TFR tab on my table posted above, pick the NiFe70's TFR value belongs to your preferred temperature than find the closest match among Ni TFRs and use the temp belongs to it.
E.g @ 200 they look identical but if you prefer 250C it will be close to Ni's 235C TFR

Last edited:

funkyrudi

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2014
Cologne
I'm just beginning a search on sources for Alloy 52 wire but an interesting thing that came up in search is that Alloy 52 strings are apparently popular for guitar strings.

La Bella Electric Guitar Super Alloy 52, .010 - .046, SA1046

It appears that a set of strings can be acquired including the wrapped strings. Wouldn't that be a hoot. Beautiful prewrapped "claptons" for beautiful vaping or beautiful music. Just choose one from column A or one from column B. :D

Duane
Unfortunately the core is ss and will bring the TCR down close to nothing. The thinest core is in the .024" D-string. I guess it`s about .013-.014". So should test it with a D-string.

Reactions: TheBloke

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Sometime soon I'll try and do a temp-tested chart for NiFe70 and 52 on dna 40 and yihi mods, like I did for Titanium on the dna 40

It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, it differs from the calculated figures that @vapealone suggests. Given that both DNA 40 and Yihi are supposedly using the same Ni200 TCR/TFR, but need very different offsets, I suspect there will be some difference in reality vs the on-paper figures.

funkyrudi

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2014
Cologne
@TheBloke
Things don`t happen quite by chance
The day I got the NiFe30 wire from Thomas, I didn`t know what it was. Maybe you remember, I measured the Ohms/m and posted it. The value was a lot lower than the Resitherm wire. In the evening I made the dry cotton test on the SXK to find out the TCR and came to NP 56 which would be a TCR around .0050 . When I wanted to post my findings, somebody posted the link to Kanthal`s databook. I had a look to their NiFe30 aka NiFe70 and boing, there it is - right TCR and Ohm/m. So I wrote Thomas what I found out and said to him that he has sent me NiFe70 and told him that he should order NiFe52 too because off.... . First Thomas didn`t confirm Nifetherm, but in later mails he confirmed the Kanthal wires.

I think Thomas called it NiFe30 because thats what we asked for and because it`s the common name. NiFe70 is Kanthals name and could have been FeNi30 or FeNi70 too. The Resitherm has 30% Fe some Chrom and ? and the rest is Ni. Kanthal has 30% Fe too an the rest of 70% is Ni, so they could call it NiFe70 MAYBE

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
@TheBloke
Things don`t happen quite by chance
The day I got the NiFe30 wire from Thomas, I didn`t know what it was. Maybe you remember, I measured the Ohms/m and posted it. The value was a lot lower than the Resitherm wire. In the evening I made the dry cotton test on the SXK to find out the TCR and came to NP 56 which would be a TCR around .0050 . When I wanted to post my findings, somebody posted the link to Kanthal`s databook. I had a look to their NiFe30 aka NiFe70 and boing, there it is - right TCR and Ohm/m. So I wrote Thomas what I found out and said to him that he has sent me NiFe70 and told him that he should order NiFe52 too because off.... . First Thomas didn`t confirm Nifetherm, but in later mails he confirmed the Kanthal wires.

OK awesome so it's confirmed as Nifethal 70.

And yes I knew you were responsible for the NiFe52 - well done! :)

gorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Milan, Italy
Hi! I've tried reading the long discussion but it went rapidly to quick suggestions to in depth analysis. Is there any kind of consensus regarding what the best material would be on which hardware? Are these Geeco mods mentioned in the first thread reliable? Or is the Dicodes the only one with reliable settings for different materials?

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hi! I've tried reading the long discussion but it went rapidly to quick suggestions to in depth analysis. Is there any kind of consensus regarding what the best material would be on which hardware? Are these Geeco mods mentioned in the first thread reliable? Or is the Dicodes the only one with reliable settings for different materials?

The key question is whether the mod features TCR adjustment. If the mod features TCR adjustment, you can use any of the wires mentioned without a temperature offset - you set 230°C and you get 230°C, regardless of what wire you have in (once you have set the right TCR for it.)

These mods have TCR adjustment:
  • The DNA 200 chip, available in an increasing number of mods
  • The Dicodes chip, available in Dicodes 2380, Dicodes Dani Extreme v2, and Pipeline Pro 2.
  • The SXK chip mods - which includes the Geeco
    • On these mods, compared to DNA 200 and Dicodes, objective accuracy and subjective "vape smoothness" will not be as good. But of course the price will be far, far less.
    • In terms of objective accuracy, the SXK chip will always be within 20°C of the setting, and usually within 10°C. This is fine for a successful TC vape.
    • The 'vape smoothness' is more of a noticeable issue - the chip tends to be a bit 'pulse-y'. In that you can feel it applying power, stopping power, applying power, stopping power. But this only happens in situations where it's needing to limit the temp a lot, ie when you're low on juice (or have a bad wick), so most of the time your vapes are fine.
  • The Smok XCube 2 and Smok Koopor Mini - but TCR cannot (yet) go as low as is required for Stainless Steel
    • We are expecting the XCube 2 to be updated to support SS any day now; no word on the Koopor
    • The XCube 2 does not seem as accurate as the above mods. I find I always have to set the temperature about 20-30°C higher than the temp I want.
    • The vape smoothness is better than the SXK, not as good as the premium DNA 200/Dicodes.
  • The newly discovered Apollo Reliant 60W - with a TCR range of 0.001 to 0.01
Mods without TCR adjustment:

Can use any of the wires mentioned, except Stainless Steel. SS requires a TCR adjusting mod.

All the other wires, meaning Titanium and the various NiFes, can be used on any other TC mod. You just have to adjust the temperature.

For example, on a DNA 40, you can vape Titanium by setting the mod to between 155°C and 185°C, which will give you an achieved temperature of 200 - 240°C respectively. Vaping NiFe on a DNA 40 will depend on the exact type of NiFe, with some needing a greater offset (set it to say 160°C instead of 180°C to achieve 235°C) and some needing a lower offset (set it to 200°C to achieve 235°C)

Same applies to Yihi chip mods, except the offset is usually greater. For example, to vape Titanium at 235°C on a Yihi mod (in Ni200 mode), the setting is around 145°C.

Many mods now have dual Ni200 and Titanium modes. If you're vaping Titanium, of course you just choose Titanium mode and you (theoretically) don't need an offset. If you're vaping another wire, such as NiFe, you will still need an offset but it may be less than the offset needed in Ni200 mode.

I suppose it might also be theoretically possible that a Titanium mode mod could vape Stainless Steel with an extreme offset, as the TCR of Titanium (0.0035) is much closer to Stainless Steel (0.001) than is Ni200 (0.006). But I haven't yet tested that.

I will be doing more real temperature testing and graphing soon, to come up with a list of recommended mod temperatures for various wires in both Ni200 and Titanium mode. I already did one for Titanium on the DNA 40, which is where I got those figures of 155-185°C. (Here's a picture of the graph if you're interested.)

What mod to get?

That depends. If you'd really like to use SS, then you need a TCR adjusting mod. If you don't think you'll care about SS, you have a much wider range to choose from.

I believe that NiFe52 is going to prove to be the ultimate TC wire, and once it is readily available in a good range of wire gauges, there will no longer be any compelling reasons to use SS. We know it will soon be available to buy in sizes up to 0.40mm (26G) from ZiVipf in Germany, and @WileE has somewhat mysteriously told us there's a US vendor planning to stock it soon.

Once NiFe52 is available, I expect I will be happy recommending it as the One True TC Wire. (One wire to rule them all, and in the coil-glow bind them.)

And because NiFes can be successfully vaped on any TC mod - including Ni200-only mods like the DNA 40 - there is no need to get a special mod.

So the choice of mod is up to you. The SXK chip mods are very cheap, and do provide SS support if you want to try that now or at any point. But the TC vape is objectively and subjectively not as good as others.

A DNA 40 or Yihi chip are good, high quality TC mods. As are many DNA 40 clones (or emulators) - the Snow Wolf 200W for example, or the cheaper 50W clone chips like the Kangxin Mini VF. The latter example, using the Rayn board/chip, is not quite as good as the DNA 40 - it lacks pre-heat for example - but will still give a good TC vape, better than the SXK.

Be aware that vaping Titanium or NiFe on DNA 40 clones need the bigger temperature offsets of the Yihi, not the smaller offset of the authentic DNA 40. The authentic DNA 40 is rather unique in that regard, possibly because of its implementation of the exact Ni200 curve.

A DNA 200 or a Dicodes are ultimate quality TC mods, able to do all wires with guaranteed high accuracy and high smoothness. If you can afford one or the other, they are the no brainer purchase. The Dicodes are only available as tubes, so that's either a major bummer or a big plus, depending on your preferences. I will say that while I thought the tube would be a downer, my Dicodes is by far my favourite looking mod. Whenever I want to take a photo of a fancy new atomizer, it goes on the Dicodes. And being a tube does give flexibility in batteries - I can run it with 1 or 2 x 18650, 1 or 2 x 18500/490 or 1 or 2 x 18350. Some new box mods are providing a little flexibility, like 1 or 2 x 18650, but no box mod can allow all those variations.

But the flexibility of a tube comes at the cost of control - having only one button makes using the (complicated and extensive) menu system somewhat slow.

The Dicodes also beats the DNA 200 in on-mod adjustability: you can change the TCR any time on the mod itself, as well as a number of other settings. The DNA 200 can only be configured fully from a Windows PC. But when you do connect it to a PC, you can then configure far more on the DNA 200, and more easily. And you can set up profiles which store the TCR and preheat settings, and then change those profiles on-mod. So it will be much quicker to switch back and forth between different wire types and TCRs on the DNA 200 than the Dicodes, once you have once used a PC to set up the appropriate profiles. Therefore the DNA 200 wins on overall configurability and control, just at the cost of most of it not being on-mod, and requiring a Windows PC.

The DNA 200 also has more advanced TCR control - it supports TCR curves, rather than a single figure. This sounds very cool in principle, however in practice the wires we're mostly talking about here, Titanium and NiFes, have very flat, linear curves. So I don't expect te 200's curves will make a huge difference to ultimate accuracy. They might help a bit more with SS though.

Hope that covered most of it, let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

gorman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Milan, Italy
Koopor Mini, considering TheBloke's remarks on this new up and coming NiFe52 (hence making SS irrelevant more or less), is kinda calling me. Now I need to find somewhere selling it in Italy or to Italy with no problems of customs/duties, etc.
And yes, I have to say that when I asked my naive questions I really wasn't expecting such a beatiful sum up of all the knowledge that's been accumulated so far. Thank you so much, once more. :)

Is there a post in here that describes how to use TCR on Koopor Minis? I mean, what the value correspond to? Also, is TCR available only when selecting Ni200 or is it there even if you select titanium (or is the offset already factored in and Ni200 and Titanium are just presets and if one accesses TCR finds it already set up correctly?)

Reactions: TheBloke

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
It's a pleasure :)

The Koopor Mini does look to be a nice little mod. I have one on order from FastTech that I hope will ship tomorrow, and thus I hope to receive on Saturday.

Do you know of problems getting items from China/FastTech into Italy? I know that the Germans have such problems (which seem to be specific to FastTech), but here in the UK I have no problems at all. If you can order from FT, you won't find a much better price for the Koopor: $34.79 Authentic Koopor Mini 60W TC Temperature Control VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1-60W / 200-600'F(100-315'C) / 1*18650 / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

You could also check 3FVape and Focal eCig, who may also carry it and will have a similar price.

Be aware that it's quite likely that you will need to use a temperature offset on the Koopor. On my Smok XCube 2, I have to set the temperature 20-30°C higher than expected, eg 250°C for an atomizer/coil I set as 230°C on other mods. That's even with the right TCR. There is some suggestion this might even be deliberate on the part of Smok, and other vendors like Joyetech and ELeaf who have similar issues.

It's a shame that offsets are still required, but at least they're simple: add X°C. Or of course you could adjust the TCR, but personally I prefer keeping the TCR accurate and adjusting the temperature, not least because the TCR is in a menu and the temperature is easily changed via up/down. Which incidentally is an advantage of the Smok mods over many others, including over the Yihi and Evolv mods: temperature adjustment is immediate and quick. The downside is that they have no wattage adjustment: unlike 99% of other TC mods, you set only a temperature, not a wattage as well. Theoretically this makes no difference - I usually have all my TC mods set to their maximum wattage. But there are times when it's helpful to set a wattage maximum in TC mode.

Another advantage of the Smoks, at least in my Smok XCube 2, is that it's quick and easy to switch back and forth between VW and TC modes. This is great for NiFe coils, which can be dry burnt. I always like to dry burn my NiFe coils before using them in TC, to check for consistent inside-out glowing. Just like we used to do with Kanthal.

Doing that switch is a big pain on the DNA 40 (+ clones), because you can only do it by changing your temp setting to OFF and then back again. On the Yihi chips it's a bit easier, you can change via the menu. Ditto the Dicodes, though the menu takes a bit longer to use. But the winner is Smok, which has both a menu and shortcuts, and you can change from TC to VW mode by holding down a couple of buttons, then the same buttons to go back afterwards. And of course it remembers your temp setting in between.

I have already heard that the Koopor has shortcuts like the XCube 2, so my guess is it's similarly easy to switch as the XCube 2.

There's a Koopor Mini thread in this forum, maybe you've seen it. I'll post my findings on the Koopor when I get mine in a week's time.

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Oh, one thing to be aware of with the Koopor: Currently its TCR will not go below 0.004. This means that Titanium and Resistherm NiFe 30 cannot have the right TCR (0.0035 and 0.0032 respectively.)

For NiFe52 it should be fine, as the TCR is 0.004. Same with NiFe70/30, which is around 0.005.

Though actually, it's possible that a TCR of 0.004 might work out for Titanium: as I mentioned, currently you have to set the temp too high even with right TCR. It could be that having the TCR too high, 0.004 instead of 0.0035 for Titanium, actually results in the right temperature setting working :) I will test that sometime.

It may be that this TCR limit changes in future Koopor FW updates, but we can't be sure. They have done many updates already to the XCube 2, but the Koopor is their cheap option so may not have as many.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
So the Nife30 sold from Zivpif is actually Nifethal 70 ?
Anyone like to share his DNA 200 csv?

Yes it is.

This is Steam Engine's DNA 200 csv for Resistherm NiFe30:

"Temperature (degF)","Electrical Resistivity"

Take that, and change the numbers in the second column to match the figures given in the Kanthal 70 datasheet - matching the °C temp stages from the datasheet against their °F equivalents in the above CSV. (212 = 100°C, 392 = 200°C, etc.)

Then Save As whatever.csv, and put into eScribe.

Or, use eScribe to enter the numbers from the data sheet (adding points to the graph as necessary) and then save it from there.

To get NiFe70 and NiFe52 added to Steam Engine for easy CSV export we need @Dampmaskin to add them; who has now been notified of that request :)

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Awesome work on the new Wire Wizard, @Dampmaskin !

One suggestion, and a general note for people in this thread: on the Wire Wizard's Ni200 equivalence table, the figures given are only accurate to use as offsets on the DNA 40. All other mods/chps, at least in my experience so far, require a lower offset because they don't implement the full Ni200 curve.

So my suggestion would be to consider adding a *note about this, telling users that they can use this chart for offset on a DNA 40 but not on other mods. Or ideally, adding a second set of figures that applies for mods that use a single TCR of 0.006. I can give you exact temp tested numbers for the Yihi chip and other mods if that helps; each chip could use a slightly different TCR.

I will add these requests to your thread as well now. (Added here.)

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Had to step out for a while.
Bloke 26 - 30 will work. I prefer a little more spread though. like 26 core 31-36 wrap. The bigger the spread the less ramp up time you'll have. Based on what I've learned from the new wire wizard and testing you can just use Kanthal A1 for the wrap wire on a Clapton. Or at least on a fused Clapton with 2 wire core there is little affect on TC by the Kanthal wrap. It would have a bigger affect on a single wire core Clapton.

OK thanks

I will tread lightly on where it came from for now, but I can tell you it was manufactured in the US Specifically for TC Vaping & will be released for sale in the US next weekend at Vape Mania15 Sept. 4th in Winston Salem I will try to put up a link or two towards the end of next week for who will have it in stock & available for online ordering.

Hmm, OK. Well on the surface that's great news - the more suppliers the better. I have to admit I'm slightly cautious in my optimism. "manufactured specifically for vaping" makes me think of GPlat (SS 317 welding wire sold at $1/foot) and Sweet Spot Vapors (Titanium Grade 1 surrounded by a lot of pseudo-technnobabble, described by Titanium engineers as out and out nonsense and sold for, you guessed it, $1/foot!)

I am not aware of a specific reason why it needs to be 'manufactured specifically for vaping'. Unless this just means it's been sourced and tested (rather than manufactured) for vaping - like Stealth Vape getting in Titanium Grade 1 and making sure it's up to spec etc?

Anyway, I understand you can't say more until it's released. We'll wait with baited breath for the announcement :) (And if it's $1/foot, I will be recommending everyone put in a big order from ZiVipf in Germany :D )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread