vaping at bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
People call e-cigs vaporizers and wonder why they are associated with the other stuff...
I sometimes go with what I saw on here on some ones signature. I do not smoke or vape, it is portable aroma therapy.......... along those lines.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I sometimes go with what I saw on here on some ones signature. I do not smoke or vape, it is portable aroma therapy.......... along those lines.

Vaporizer really is a poor term. If I walk into a shop in Prague and ask for a vaporizer and something to fill it with, I will get one and something else; not an electronic cigarette and bottle of e-liquid...

Tucsonbroker

Verified Member
Aug 8, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Personally I would have told them thank you, but I will leave and go where my vape is accommodated. But I am getting very militant about it. I already vote with my feet at a local bar or two that has disallowed vaping. I figure I have a year or two at most before it is outlawed in all public places (like cigs here) so I'm going to enjoy it wherever I can, as much as I can, do it respectfully (no clouds, bro)

I did just that. We left Hakkasan and went elsewhere. I'm not going to pay $20 for drinks and be told not to vape while some guy next to me smokes cigarettes and I have to spell the stinky secondhand smoke. Besides, I was completely unimpressed with the club. It's supposed to be just awesome and it was not.

Until the state of AZ tells me that we can't let people vape in my clubs, I'm going to allow it. People do illegal things all the time, but as long as I don't see it or it doesn't affect me, what do I care.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
The real thing is: being allowed to vape doesn't give you the right to see how big a cloud you can blow when theres a family sitting next to you trying to enjoy a meal. Because of that most places where I live wont allow it anymore.

Think about smoking: is it really possible to "stealth smoke"? No. And yet, many business allowed smoking to attract smoking patrons. Non-smoking people would simply choose another venue - another where the other *owner* decided to NOT allow smoking, because it was ALSO good for his own business.

If vaping is allowed in some venue, is because the owner sees a good business opportunity in attracting vaping. Especially when those vapers are mostly ex-smokers who got kicked out because of their smoking habit. Most vapers like to blow big clouds. If people and "families" feel offended by that, then by all means, let *them* choose another venue that better suits their interests.

The ONLY way to not bother other people with cigarette smoke would be smoking outside. On smoke-friendly venues, people never did that. They smoked inside, never bothering about other patrons opinions. It was a *smoke-friendly* venue, after all. Likewise, why should we make an effort to be politically correct, to "not bother families", in *vape-friendly* venues? If "families" do not like vapour, what are they doing there in the first place?

Many people feel that on a pub the owner might allow vaping/smoking, but NOT on a restaurant, because it is a "family" environment.

What about smoking *co-workers* who go out for lunch - in a restaurant?
What about smoking *business partners* who go out for a business dinner - in a restaurant?
What about people *on a date* (not a "family" yet :) ) who smoke, and go out for dinner - in a restaurant?
Finally, what about families of smokers, who ALSO have the right to go out once in a while and have dinner - in a restaurant - and have no trouble about other people smoking around their kids, because they already do it at home anyway, and would like to have a smoke in peace, inside?

If a restaurant owner feels there's a good opportunity in creating a venue for *all* the people above, why should there be any "moral" opposition to that, "because families"?

Is that not the old "chiiiildren" argument in new clothes?

gjam

Aug 29, 2015
Climax, Ks.
To vape or not to vape is kind of like a vibe. What I mean is I usually feel the place out and decide if the place is uptight or open to a sweet sent rolling through the air. I have found that most places here in Kansas are pretty open to tobacco alternatives once it is explained to them just what I would like to do and ask in what way they would like me to do it. If I am at an establishment where I intend on having a long dinner with friends and we plan on spending allot of money I will address the issue before being seated and if we cannot be accommodated I let them know about our spending intentions and respectively decline there services for an establishment that can accommodate our needs...................................G

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
I still remember when I could smoke inside a bar, that seems like just yesterday. Then they passed the indoor smoking ban, & so much for that. Personally I'm not a huge drinker, but I feel that drinking & smoking or vaping go together. You have a drink, you want to smoke or vape. One thing I noticed was when they started passing all the bans, bars got way more clicky. A few years back, before the ban, I'd meet and talk to cool people I'd otherwise might never have talked to, just because we were smoking together. Now, all the smokers are outside and everyone else inside, it's made things way more clicky, at least at the gay bars I go to. I'd like to see vaping bring back some of that mingling that I miss. Actually I don't see why bars don't hand out ecigs or at least sell them, they'd get tons more people into vaping that way, and off of cigarettes.

I still remember when I could smoke inside a bar, that seems like just yesterday. Then they passed the indoor smoking ban, & so much for that. Personally I'm not a huge drinker, but I feel that drinking & smoking or vaping go together. You have a drink, you want to smoke or vape. One thing I noticed was when they started passing all the bans, bars got way more clicky. A few years back, before the ban, I'd meet and talk to cool people I'd otherwise might never have talked to, just because we were smoking together. Now, all the smokers are outside and everyone else inside, it's made things way more clicky, at least at the gay bars I go to. I'd like to see vaping bring back some of that mingling that I miss. Actually I don't see why bars don't hand out ecigs or at least sell them, they'd get tons more people into vaping that way, and off of cigarettes.
This is an interesting subject and it is something that I have wondered about myself. I quit going to bars on any kind of a regular basis, quite a few years ago. I live up here in Montana and, heck, I can remember the days of cigarette smoke just rolling out of the doors and windows. I so happen to know a few bar owners and whenever I think about this issue, I am going to make a point to ask. I just know here where I live, a person cannot smoke tobacco products of any kind within X amount of feet of any public building. I am not even sure what that distance is. The part of the country that I live in is very remote, so therefore this is not an issue for me. Well...in the winter time it sure as heck might be! I am going to ask around about this issue and see just what the deal is. Thanks for posting :sneaky:

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Yea I don't do the bar scenes nearly as much as I used to, mostly got it out of my system lol. But I definitely notice since the smoking ban that the crowds are extremely clickish like nobody talks to anyone outside their group. Back a few years ago everyone pretty much hungout with everyone at least at the bars I went to, people would ask if I needed a light or if they could bum a smoke, we'd drink & smoke at the same time. Now it's weird, smokers have to go out, and other people are inside & you just don't meet new people as much. As someone with mild autism, it's way more difficult now because I'm not going to go up and start talking to someone I don't know. Before the smoking ban, people would interact with me a lot easier, and I found it easier to socialize. Yet another thing the health nazis ruined. I hope to make a lot of new friends at the vape lounges though ;)

Reactions: Cognator
Yea I don't do the bar scenes nearly as much as I used to, mostly got it out of my system lol. But I definitely notice since the smoking ban that the crowds are extremely clickish like nobody talks to anyone outside their group. Back a few years ago everyone pretty much hungout with everyone at least at the bars I went to, people would ask if I needed a light or if they could bum a smoke, we'd drink & smoke at the same time. Now it's weird, smokers have to go out, and other people are inside & you just don't meet new people as much. As someone with mild autism, it's way more difficult now because I'm not going to go up and start talking to someone I don't know. Before the smoking ban, people would interact with me a lot easier, and I found it easier to socialize. Yet another thing the health nazis ruined. I hope to make a lot of new friends at the vape lounges though ;)
I perfectly understand what you are saying. Exactly as a matter of fact. You may find this amusing, but up here in Montana where I live, I have taken keen notice of the fact that it does not take a person very long to "hot box" their cigarettes in a shorter amount of time compared to if they were smoking inside. Montana, as you may know, is one of the coldest states in the lower 48. I have seen temps of minus 50 degrees F. Depending upon what a person is doing (skiing, ice fishing,etc)....as an X-cigarette smoker, I have found it difficult to even get a cigarette going, much less smoke the dang thing. Then if you live in a high altitude (which I do)....cigarettes have the tendency to go out. I guess I wandered off topic here, but interesting subject none-the-less :w00t:

Reactions: RobbyRocket

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Props to you! I could never live somewhere that cold! I live in Ky, my city passed an indoor smoking ban in 2003 seems like only yesterday. It was weird. I still remember so clearly going on a lunch date with a friend, to one of out favorite little cafes and of course I always smoke after eating. And then bam, one day the ban was in place & I suddenly couldn't smoke inside any more, just like that. The winters here can get pretty severe too, it sucks having to go outside and smoke when it's like 5 degrees out.

My thing is, I was and still am against the smoking ban even though that's a mute point at this point. I could understand a ban in stores or even regular restaurants, but bars?? I still don't understand that at all. I always smoked more when I'd have a cocktail. And there are no kids at bars, we're all adults supposedly. Yea, don't get that at all.

scottfeldstein

Aug 29, 2015
West Bend, WI
I was what you call an embarrassed smoker. Even when it was allowed, I tried not to. At least kept it to a minimum. If someone else near me was doing it, I refrained. That kind of thing. Since it's been banned almost everywhere, it became smoking outside is the only way.

Out for dinner and drinks with friends? Who among us wanted to go 90 minutes with food and alcohol and not have some nicotine? For my own comfort I would sneak outside for one. Maybe I'd be lucky and one other person among the group would be in the same boat. Usually not.

And it's hard here in Wisconsin. Minnesotans will feel my pain as well. When it's 12 degrees out and there's a vicious wind blowing sleet into your face, you do not want to be outside no matter what coat you may have on. This is how I learned to smoke really quickly. 25 years ago you could smoke leisurely, letting a cigarette dangle from your while you talked or sit in an ashtray waiting for you to pick it up--not so, post-ban. Those of us in colder climes learned to suck down that cig right quick. I smoked all my cigarettes that way after that.

I have take a vape or two in the restroom of an airport. Air travel is the worst. If you're going any distance and you don't have a direct route, you're looking at 3/4 of a day spent in airports behind the security line and well away from any egress to the out-of-doors. Smoke-free, baby. All Fing day. I used to bring nicotine patches with me to deal with such things. Now that I've weaned myself down to a 6 liquid, I don't bother. But, as I've said, I've been know to hit it in the men's room once in a while.

I'm mostly good with indoor smoking bans. But I will feel a little cheated when winter rolls around and I have to don my park and duck out the back door of the restaurant to take a vape or three.

I live in a house with children--one pretty asthmatic--and no one is concerned. Everyone here knows that it's no threat to him or to anyone.

I have seen those who say it's not ok to vape in front of small children, as it's a bad example. I hadn't thought of that before and I think you're right. From now on I'll be in another room. Thanks for helping me!

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Most places in NYC would just give you the boot.
I second that. I just moved to Raleigh North Carolina. Prior I lived all over NYC/Westchester and always got the dirtiest looks...... It baffles me because in bars and clubs bouncers look the other way with people putting all sorts of power into their nose yet were simply vaping and NYC acts like we're ending the world!

Go to Yonkers and drink at "Tyrones place" ask him if he remembers the just energy guys. Owner is a great guy and we got him into vaping. Blow your clouds however you want and wherever you want in there. Great bar with a great vibe and vape friendly!

JimKinchloe

Aug 29, 2015
I was what you call an embarrassed smoker. Even when it was allowed, I tried not to. At least kept it to a minimum. If someone else near me was doing it, I refrained. That kind of thing. Since it's been banned almost everywhere, it became smoking outside is the only way.

Out for dinner and drinks with friends? Who among us wanted to go 90 minutes with food and alcohol and not have some nicotine? For my own comfort I would sneak outside for one. Maybe I'd be lucky and one other person among the group would be in the same boat. Usually not.

And it's hard here in Wisconsin. Minnesotans will feel my pain as well. When it's 12 degrees out and there's a vicious wind blowing sleet into your face, you do not want to be outside no matter what coat you may have on. This is how I learned to smoke really quickly. 25 years ago you could smoke leisurely, letting a cigarette dangle from your while you talked or sit in an ashtray waiting for you to pick it up--not so, post-ban. Those of us in colder climes learned to suck down that cig right quick. I smoked all my cigarettes that way after that.

I have take a vape or two in the restroom of an airport. Air travel is the worst. If you're going any distance and you don't have a direct route, you're looking at 3/4 of a day spent in airports behind the security line and well away from any egress to the out-of-doors. Smoke-free, baby. All Fing day. I used to bring nicotine patches with me to deal with such things. Now that I've weaned myself down to a 6 liquid, I don't bother. But, as I've said, I've been know to hit it in the men's room once in a while.

I'm mostly good with indoor smoking bans. But I will feel a little cheated when winter rolls around and I have to don my park and duck out the back door of the restaurant to take a vape or three.

I live in a house with children--one pretty asthmatic--and no one is concerned. Everyone here knows that it's no threat to him or to anyone.

I have seen those who say it's not ok to vape in front of small children, as it's a bad example. I hadn't thought of that before and I think you're right. From now on I'll be in another room. Thanks for helping me!

Scott, can we be friends? You aren't an "embarrassed smoker", you're a courteous smoker. I wish my smoking friends were like you. I wish ALL smokers were like you. Those that were, would face much less opposition than they do.

I never felt it proper to smoke in a restaurant. Especially a good one that caters to people who really appreciate their food. My oldest is 32, and I still have one at home. So I have not smoked in my home in 32 years. In the coldest winters, I smoked outdoors. It is just courtesy and safety. No more or less. Rights don't fit into it. I had the right to smoke WHEN I wanted and WHERE I wanted.... as long as it did not adversely affect anyone, not a soul, else. SO simple.

I carry this logic through to vaping. I'm not going to vape at The French Laundry while someone is enjoying the nuance of their lavender infused Lamb Chops. They don't want to smell my Choco-Berry Crunch.

And all this goes well beyond smoking. Talking during tee-off. Opening doors for little old ladies. We've lost class in society as we demand our rights and consider ourselves before others. It's not rocket science. Help each other have a nice day, and root for each others right to enjoy their lives. Ta-da.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
When I was growing up everyone still smoked indoors & restaurants had smoking and non-smoking sections, and everyone was pretty much content. Back then pretty much everyone smoked cigarettes so we didn't know any different, now, people couldn't imagine wanting cigarette smoke indoors. I am still a cigarette smoker, and I don't even smoke in my own apartment because I don't like the smell. That being said, I agree we have really degraded as a society in terms of politeness, courtesy, etc. I'm 33, and I am an old-movie lover, & I absolutely adore watching movies from the 1930s, 40s, 50s, & 60s. Everyone seemed much more polite, less fake, & generally happier. It seems everyone now is either rushing or buried in cell phones or totally morose. I opened the door for a lady the other day and she didn't even thank me. As far as the smoking bans and bars, I can support the bans in everyday restaurants, malls, and stores, etc, places kids or sick people might be. But I still don't think bars should have smoking bans, at lease have indoor smoking sections for people who want to have a drink and smoke while they drink, like myself, and I am not a big bar person anymore either. A few years back, before the smoking bans in my city, smoking was a way to socialize while out, I would talk and meet people I otherwise would not have, and vice-versa. Now, it's gotten way more clickish, depressingly so. People stay in their groups and nobody talks to people they don't know. And I'm not going to go up to strangers and start talking. Back before the smoking bans, people could sit and converse & ask for a light, or a smoke, or whatever, it was a way to open conversations with new people. Kind of a useful took for seduction too, speaking for myself, asking a handsome if he has a light ;) But anyway, water under the bridge, just my observations..I really hope vaping takes off, it's definitely much cleaner, healthier, and safer, no doubt about that. I'd like to see it go mainstream & break out of the subculture it has now. I just think so many out there still have no idea about what vaping is, and how it could help them quit cigarettes,

Reactions: Jman8

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Anyone Vaping in places where you cant smoke will only make it worse for vapers in general.

Said no politically aware vaper. Ever.

I dont get what is so hard about not vaping around people who dont want you to.

That's pretty easy actually. It's vaping in establishments when you aren't around people and yet the claim is still being made that it is bothersome. That's tough to understand, and yet still easy to vape.

Stealth vaping in bathrooms is about as juvenile as you can get. And pretty sad at that.

Suggesting you only vape where smoking is allowed is way more pathetic.

tjeco

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Manila, Philippines
I vape mostly in my car, at home, and at work. Fri was my b day so we had dinner and a few drinks at a local bar with about 10 friends. 3 others and myself vape. I am pretty new to vaping and for some strange reason feel hesitant about vaping in public. After our drinks were served and the waiter noticed we were using pv's we were asked to move to a corner table so as not to bother anyone else. We gladly did to avoid any problems but I felt a little discouraged. Why do the people that chose to quit smoking have to hide in the corner while 20 or so people stand right in front of the door smoking with plumes of smoke trailing behind them as they walk back in? Our vapor was hardly noticable.

To sum this up I'm proud I've been cig free for a short time. After this experience I don't feel like an outcast vaping in public. Anyone been asked to move seating?
We should not vape where we can't smoke, as a general respect to the non-vaping folks:toast:

Tucsonbroker

Verified Member
Aug 8, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Said no politically aware vaper. Ever.

That's pretty easy actually. It's vaping in establishments when you aren't around people and yet the claim is still being made that it is bothersome. That's tough to understand, and yet still easy to vape.

Suggesting you only vape where smoking is allowed is way more pathetic.

Not only that, but it lumps the vapers in with the smokers which is exactly what we don't want to do. It's a safe alternative AND doesn't affect others via second hand smoke. The ANTI vapers want the two to be tied together so they can regulate and tax. Besides, as someone suggested above, really cold climates or very hot climates make it undesirable to go outside.

Reactions: Jman8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread