aspergers and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
yeah brother, I know all about the confrontation issue because I "had" been like that my entire life. Whenever anyone would want to argue, fight, or confront me, I would shrivel up like a warming piece of plastic... Not so much now days. I don't know what happened to me but in the last few years, I started arguing and fighting back when it concerns things that I know to be facts. If any of you have read some of my posts on other threads, then you know that I will fight tooth and toenail for what I know are facts.... But, like I say, I was Never like that before. I got totally sick of being walked on. Somehow inside I found a way to overcome that aspect of my personality.
There comes a point in mostly everybody's life when they've had enough. Some people are timid by nature while others are because of insecurities...there are a whole slew of reasons. My breaking point was when I was 17. My father was in 9/11 and survived but with PTSD, GAD, & MDD. I was the outlet for abuse starting at age 11. I just had one night when I was 17 when I just thought to myself "**** this," and I'll save the long story. But after that I didn't let anybody walk on me. During undergrad my thought I was too much a loose cannon to run for president or vp, so I was elected "new member educator," aka pledge master. fraternity I never thought of pledging as people walking on top of me, never took anything seriously. It was more a right of passage so to say and it wasn't sadistic. If it were like some of the other fraternities on my campus I wouldn't have joined.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I like to think of myself as a "high functioning ADHD," which isn't uncommon, it basically means I focus on a specific pursuit at a time, master it, then move on to the next thing.

Welcome to the thread @Tom Forde ..... Your statement above is like looking into a mirror for myself. It is one of the biggest hallmarks of my Asperger's. Everything I do, I eventually master but then I don't stick with it and so get nothing done by using what I have learned. It's almost as if my interests keep constantly shifting. I can remember at the age of 15 when my walkie talkie CB radio malfunctioned and I tried to fix it. Then, I opened the case and saw all of those thousands of doo-dads that made the thing function, I was totally mesmerized and fascinated. That was all it took and I was immediately addicted to most scientific subjects from then on. I eventually went through colleges for electronics and the on to Electrical Engineering. But, when home PC's came along, I was one of the first people to get connected to the web. I never knew a blasted thing about computers but yet I wanted one?? Doesn't make much sense but that is how my mind works.... Shortly after getting a computer and teaching myself how to operate it, I got bitten by code and the programming allure, so I decided I wanted to learn a programming language. But, I eventually learned between 15 and 20 of them lol...........

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tom Forde

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2015
    NJ
    Welcome to the thread @Tom Forde ..... Your statement above is like looking into a mirror for myself. It is one of the biggest hallmarks of my Asperger's. Everything I do, I eventually master but then I don't stick with it and so get nothing done by using what I have learned. It's almost as if my interests keep constantly shifting. I can remember at the age of 15 when my walkie talkie CB radio malfunctioned and I tried to fix it. Then, I opened the case and saw all of those thousands of doo-dads that made the thing function, I was totally mesmerized and fascinated. That was all it took and I was immediately addicted to most scientific subjects from then on. I eventually went through colleges for electronics and the on to Electrical Engineering. But, when home PC's came along, I was one of the first people to get connected to the web. I never new a blasted thing about computers but yet I wanted one?? Doesn't make much since but that is how my mind works.... Shortly after getting a computer and teaching myself how to operate it, I got bitten by code and the programming allure, so I decided I wanted to learn a programming language. But, I eventually learned between 15 and 20 of them lol...........
    Yeah the difference here is I wouldn't be able to memorize code or deal with large sequences of memorization. I can produce music, yet I don't know how to read music.

Does having no favorite this or that follow Aspergers? When someone asks me who my favorite musician, actor, movie, etc is I have no answer....
    I have no heroes nor do I follow any groups, just no pack mentality at all.
    It could, but more information would be needed, like do you put any thought into it or do you care about having a favorite, or do you even care at all. I don't have Aspergers, but I know people who have been diagnosed. Some have definite favorites based on the sounds or genres. But as a whole it's very hard to say, as Aspergers is becoming more and more diagnosed; there are bound to be more misdiagnoses.
    It's not necessarily about a pack mentality, it's more or less a connection between you and the subject.

Last edited:

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Does having no favorite this or that follow Aspergers? When someone asks me who my favorite musician, actor, movie, etc is I have no answer....
    I have no heroes nor do I follow any groups, just no pack mentality at all.

Yeah, I am pretty much the same way. To answer your question, NO, you don't have to have a favorite artist or favorite person of any type. From what limited things I know about it, mostly it is a fascination with the sciences, or seeing patterns in things, or a fascination with numbers......things of that nature.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Yeah the difference here is I wouldn't be able to memorize code or deal with large sequences of memorization. I can produce music, yet I don't know how to read music.
    yeah memorization was always a very hard thing for me. Took me forever to memorize a poem or something for school. I am however excellent at seeing the big picture in things and making predictions based on many smaller facts accumulated over time that I do not remember the specifics of.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I have no heroes nor do I follow any groups, just no pack mentality at all

The lack of identification with things on the social realm fits my son to a large extent. What if I asked you what's your favorite mod?

Reactions: AXIOM_1

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    yeah memorization was always a very hard thing for me. Took me forever to memorize a poem or something for school. I am however excellent at seeing the big picture in things and making predictions based on many smaller facts accumulated over time that I do not remember the specifics of.

That's another typical aspie trait....You do NOT have to have a good memory..... I have an average long term memory and a crappy short term memory..... It's the "big Picture" that you mentioned that aspies seem to excel at

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I am however excellent at seeing the big picture in things and making predictions based on many smaller facts accumulated over time that I do not remember the specifics of.

That's one strength of some folks with Asperger's -- the ability to make unique connections between seemingly unrelated things.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2015
    NJ
    @AXIOM_1 @Robert Cromwell
    Both statements are true, my mind just goes into a hyperdrive in a way with the focuses spread out on an entire subject, or the big picture, but yet again, I don't have Aspergers, just ADHD, my mind focuses on too many things at once, or one single thing way too hard. When that happens I just try to take a step back from the situation for a while so I don't mind .... myself.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    That's another typical aspie trait....You do NOT have to have a good memory..... I have an average long term memory and a crappy short term memory..... It's the "big Picture" that you mentioned that aspies seem to excel at
    In some things seeing the big picture feeds depression because you see how things will likely suck about something for a long time as opposed to living in the here and now and being fat dumb and happy so to speak.

Reactions: JC Okie

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    The lack of identification with things on the social realm fits my son to a large extent. What if I asked you what's your favorite mod?

@Robert Cromwell ..... All of my life I never quite "fit in" with what most people liked to talk about....For example, most guys I ever talked to always talked about hunting, fishing, Women, building fast cars, and things of this nature. None of that stuff even intrigued me in the least and I couldn't understand why. Actually, I still don't know why (not exactly anyway)....So, because I was not interested in most people's interests, then I simply didn't say much. People used to perceive me as stuck up and all kinds of weird things and nothing could be farther from the truth. I desired to fit in but I simply could not deal with their interests, which I could not understand how anyone could be interested in those types of things they were interested in. For some reason, I was always interested in things that were not so common.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    In some things seeing the big picture feeds depression because you see how things will likely suck about something for a long time as opposed to living in the here and now and being fat dumb and happy so to speak.

I hear ya brother --- dealt with that same exact thing all of my life :(

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    @Robert Cromwell ..... All of my life I never quite "fit in" with what most people liked to talk about....For example, most guys I ever talked to always talked about hunting, fishing, Women, building fast cars, and things of this nature. None of that stuff even intrigued me in the least and I couldn't understand why. Actually, I still don't know why (not exactly anyway)....So, because I was not interested in most people's interests, then I simply didn't say much. People used to perceive me as stuck up and all kinds of weird things and nothing could be farther from the truth. I desired to fit in but I simply could not deal with their interests, which I could not understand how anyone could be interested in those types of things they were interested in. For some reason, I was always interested in things that were not so common.
    Yep still the same for me. I liked to play sports and was pretty good at some. But having sports as a major interest and a major topic of converdsation holds no interest for me at all. It is fantasy football season in the breakroom at work, I just do ECF on my Kindle fire....
    And all the popular topics and scandals? I actually thought Justin Beiber's last name was Beaver for years. Could not care less about reality shows, etc.
    And if all pro sports suddenly ended I would not miss it a bit.
    Maybe nice and more movies and such would be on?

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Yep still the same for me. I liked to play sports and was pretty good at some. But having sports as a major interest and a major topic of converdsation holds no interest for me at all. It is fantasy football season in the breakroom at work, I just do ECF on my Kindle fire....
    And all the popular topics and scandals? I actually thought Justin Beiber's last name was Beaver for years. Could not care less about reality shows, etc.
    And if all pro sports suddenly ended I would not miss it a bit.
    Maybe nice and more movies and such would be on?

Man brother, you are not going to believe this but I also thought his name was "beaver" for the longest time!! I am the same exact way...could care less about reality stars and such.... I figure it is of more import for man to be figuring out how to travel to Mars rather than worrying about vanity and popularity.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Now about not remembering names and faces but recognizing voices very well?

I could never identify someone in a police lineup.

Don't know what you mean exactly? ... I have heard that aspies have problems sometimes with face recognition. I have never had that problem myself..... You do not have to have that particular trait to be and aspie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread