Anyone enjoy dry snuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
I am a smoker, trying to cut back, haven't vaped yet, but hopefully will be getting my first vape kit soon. I have discovered dry snuff. I love it! It's so convenient. It's pretty hard to find here in the US, well, not too hard, but most everyday people would probably think you meant dip aka snus when you say snuff, which is inaccurate. I have been cutting down on cigarettes, & went to my local cigar shop and found some Silver Dollar dry snuff in the small 5mg tins. The only flavors I've seen are Raspberry, Apricot, & Medicated/Menthol. I got some Menthol & Apricot, and Apricot is REALLY good. It's an odd experience, taking snuff, because you get a strong nicotine hit but it feels like you're missing something in your mouth from being used to smoking. It's satisfying but not nearly as much as smoking. But for a few moments you really get a great hit. When you take a pinch, (I like to put it between my thumb and forefinger, & just gently sniff until it's in your nose, you don't want to snort it in or it will burn & go way in your throat & sinus. It's VERY addictive. It may not be for some because people might find it messy but it's actually a classy way to use tobacco all the aristocrats did it until it fell out of favor in the 1800s. Smoking is still my preferred method, so I am excited about starting vaping, but anyone who has not tried dry snuff should definitely check it out.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I used snuff for quite a while a few years ago. My sinuses just don't tolerate it that well and I finally gave it up except for the occasional pinch. You have to go to a tobaconist shop to get a choice of more than one or two snuffs around here. Almost all of mine was ordered online. Now I rely mostly on vaping and swedish snus.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
    Yea the choices are very limited, luckily I live in Ky which is a big tobacco state so you can find pretty much anything, at a reasonable price compared to other places, although a small 5mg tin of Silver Dollar still costs 5.00! I am loving the Apricot, I wished the shop had some natural flavor, but the apricot reminds me quite a bit of Camel nonfilters, in the smell anyway. You can order tons of dry snuff online from Mr.Snuff Online from the UK and it's pretty cheap although I haven't yet because I prefer to walk in a tobacco shop and know what I'm buying. I haven't had issues with sinus problems luckily. Once I get started vaping I'll probably take it much less, although it's a great option for someone needing a quick easy fix on the go or something, can't beat the convenience of dry snuff. I wish more people knew about it in the US.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
    Dry snuff is great, can't say enough about it. So easy, so convenient. It's helped me cut back on cigarettes. I bought some cool vintage stainless snuff boxes, and wooden ones. Silver Dollar brand comes in a tap box already, which is convenient. It's the only brand of dry snuff in my area. Strangely, you see no advertisements at gas stations or convenience stores for any dry snuff, probably because it's just so limited in the US still,and the market for dip is so huge, especially in the south. People here think snuff means dip, which is totally wrong of course. I personally could never do dip or chew. Smoking is by far my favorite, but as far as alternatives to cigs, until I start vaping, taking casual discreet hits of dry snuff can't be beat. Downsides are that obviously you get no sensation of smoking, and no throat/lung sensation obviously. It just gives a quick (but powerful) hit to get you through until you can have a cig. Once I start vaping, if I like it as much as I think I'm going to, I probably won't use snuff as much, but it's a great option, so convenient.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    I LOVE snuff!! I always keep a tap box of something in my pocket! Gawiths Apricot or Gletscher Prise are two of my favorites!!
    c8258a2f3c9f1d9ce21e42d9a9ebbe24.jpg

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: firechick

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
    Yea you wonder about how old the dry snuff is. That's a concern. WIth cigarettes you pretty much know for the most part if you buy them at heavy traffic gas stations they're at least going to be fresh. I got my silver dollar snuff at a tobacco shop, and it seems plenty strong and definitely can smell it. If you can with dry snuff I''d say it would be better to find a good tobacco shop and buy it there because if you order online you don't know how old it is. I really want to try some Frieborg & Treyer sometime but silver dollar is carried at both Tobacconist shops in my town. I think most people probably just have no clue what it is. Silver Dollar apricot is SO good, omg.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I think I have some F&T high dry toast. That wilsons must have been many years old to go stale like that. I've got stuff that's been opened and sitting for a few years that is still fine. Snuff store.uk and mr snuff are ok but the site I got that from was probably a mom and pop setup

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
    Dry snuff is literally the only smokeless tobacco product I can use, because it's so easy, and so clean, no worries about the nastyness of dip or chew, to each their own, but I couldn't deal with that. Snuff is so easy to carry around & to use when you need a fix. I got several cool carved wooden snuff boxes to store it in, and a steel tin. Cool thing about silver dollar is it comes in a tap box already, very easy to use. Best to shake it up really good before taking a pinch because some of it can clump together, that's the slight moistness in it I guess, unless you were dealing with a high dry toast. Bottom line, it's been a lifesaver for me when I can't smoke for a while if I'm working or something, just pop in the bathroom or cubicle and take a quick hit of snuff, quick & easy. Great product. I'll be vaping soon, but definitely will keep snuff as a backup.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm surprised dry snuff isn't HUGE in the US! I could never dip or chew, those gross me out, but dry snuff is so old-school and super super easy! Just keep it in a snuff box or if it already comes in a tap box, and tap out when I need it and get my fix if I'm where I can't smoke or don't want to vape. The only brand I can find here is Silver Dollar, but it's pretty good. I've had the medicated which packs a punch, and the apricot, SO good. Not sure how much nicotine is in a pinch of snuff but it must be plenty because it sure packs a punch. I'd like to try some general snus, in the pouches, as I wouldn't want to spit or swallow.

If anyone is interested in information on snuff-taking techniques, books, articles, and videos on snuff, useful links, and just anything you can think of snuff-related, visit the Modern Snuff Website.

The idea, is to pull together as much information, old and new, about nasal snuff tobacco, and make it available to anyone interested.

My favorite snuff is Pure Virginia Toast, an artisan snuff made by Old Mill. Amazing stuff...use it all day. Another favorite is Viking Dark, which I get from the Mr. Snuff website.

Its good to see some snuff-takers here. :)

Mark

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread