Low-nic cigs vs high-nic cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The First Modified Risk Approval Might Not Be a Smokeless Product: While the FDA is still considering Swedish Match’s application for modified-risk status for General Snus, 22nd Century believes it has two cigarette products that should qualify as modified risk: low and high-nicotine cigarettes. Theoretically, the low-nicotine options could help ween smokers off cigarettes while studies show the higher-nicotine options allow smokers to consumer fewer puffs per cigarette and fewer cigarettes overall because they’re getting a higher dose of nicotine.
I think the higher-nicotine cigs are safer. Similar to my vaping strategy to keep my intake of the other ingredients low.

Insights Abound at Smoker Friendly Conference | CSPnet

Reactions: Uma

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Reactions: DC2

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Smoke kills live cells, nicotine doesn't. In fact, they thrive and multiply I think.
Smoke without nicotine, bad murderous idea. Nicotine without smoke, possibly beneficial. Nicotine with smoke, undoubtedly helpful for killing weak cells that otherwise mutate into cancer cells, multiplies healthy cells. Ever hear of the smokers paradox?
Crazy eh.

Reactions: Kent C

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Depends on whether you're attempting to smoke the same number of cigarettes or the same quantity of nicotine (as compared to your "regulars").
Exactly.

I didn't care at all about how much nicotine I got.
I just wanted to have a smoke when I wanted to have a smoke.

The number of cigarettes I wanted would never have decreased.
Regardless of how much nicotine was in them.

But I gladly realize that I am but one person who smoked for their own reasons.

And I also realize that smoking was never a one-size-fits-all phenomenon.
No matter what THEY would have you believe.

Reactions: rico942

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Sorry, but my take is it's the same 'Light cig' crap we heard years ago. Just a new marketing campaign.

This is my take exactly.
it's one thing to extend your vape break a bit, no big deal. It's another thing altogether if you want to have another low nic OR high nic cigarette. I have a feeling that people have a way of 'adjusting' to the nic level in cigarettes in any event.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Sorry, but my take is it's the same 'Light cig' crap we heard years ago. Just a new marketing campaign.

If they don't want to repeat that old (failed) experiment, I can see two ways to go.
The first one would be a GMO tobacco plant. (might give us some interesting genetic studies on tobacco, even if it doesn't work)
The second is some kind of denicotinization process after the leaves are harvested, similar to what they do with coffee.

We vapers have it a lot easier. If we want less nicotine, all we have to do is use a different juice.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
But I gladly realize that I am but one person who smoked for their own reasons.

And I also realize that smoking was never a one-size-fits-all phenomenon.
No matter what THEY would have you believe.
Good that you point this out, and good to remember when recognizing that many people who smoke or have smoked share many of the same experiences. I guess you could say no two smokers are alike.

Reactions: DC2

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Several years ago, I read something that compared old-school nonfiltered cigarettes and the more modern filter-tips cigs. It was an interesting comparison, basically from 1910-1960 people smoked nonfilters, and from 1960 to present most who still smoke filter tips. From what I understood, the nonfilter cigarettes had WAY more tar, and of course nicotine, were stronger. But around 1960 when most people switched to filters, there were more chemicals inhaled than before, ironically. Not sure if this accurate, but in a way it makes sense, traditional cigs were just rolled tobacco in paper, and the modern cigs have the filters, which can add more chemicals to the draw. There was one famous case of Kent cigs in the 50s which were one of the first filters, supposedly the filters had fiberglass in them. Personally, I always smoked and still filters, but sometimes I'd enjoy a good old Pall Mall nonfilter. The report I read said that the early no filter cigs had way more tar and the tar was what damaged the lungs most of all, because it coats them. But the filter tips have tons of the carcinogens that interact some way with the filter material to cause other problems. Who the hell knows. But I still smoke cigs & I def would not recommend either one compared to vaping it's inherently way safer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread