aspergers and vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I've been reading your thread. I'm not an Aspie, but rather a former teacher. I had quite a few students over the years I suspected had it. I guess I didn't realize Aspie's don't want to be social? They seemed to want to be social with me, but maybe more so than with other kids now that I think about it. Some of them weren't even my students, but would come talk to me before and after school.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I guess I didn't realize Aspie's don't want to be social? They seemed to want to be social with me, but maybe more so than with other kids now that I think about it. Some of them weren't even my students, but would come talk to me before and after school.

I'm not sure how much it's not wanting to be social, as it is being socially successful. Particularly if you were an elementary school teacher, it would make sense that children who might have Asperger's would also prefer to hang out with an adult, particularly if they're very intelligent. There's lots of asynchronous development, as well as a disconnect between their depth of knowledge in specific areas and the interests of their fellow students.

When my son was in middle school, he went to the nurses office to take his meds each day. He and the nurse became best buds and he ate lunch with her every day for all of 7th & 8th grades.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Does any of this sound familiar?

More interested in being friends with a teacher than with other kids?

An urgency to talk. Talking a lot and not necessarily expecting an answer from the other person?

Talking about a certain subject with a high level of knowledge even if the other person isn't also well versed in that subject/topic? Very enthusiastic about that topic?

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
As a kid during the terrible middle school years, (yea middle school was way worse than high school) I definitely wound up talking and hanging out more with my music and art teachers almost more than some of the other kids, I just had no interest in being with people my age. Then I got to high school and found drama club and things got a lot better :cool: But yea having even mild autism makes it very hard to interact with people sometimes. We just need to be alone a lot to recharge & re-energize.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Oh, yeah. Hyperlexia. The back and forth of conversation is something we practiced a lot at home.

I remember watching my son in the back yard explaining to the neighbor about dark matter. Eventually, she just turned to leave, and he just went around until he was facing her again and kept talking. We would go out to eat, and when our food came, he would start explaining the digestive system to the waitress, right down to the bacteria in the gut. It was cute when he was four.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Oh, yeah. Hyperlexia. The back and forth of conversation is something we practiced a lot at home.

I remember watching my son in the back yard explaining to the neighbor about dark matter. Eventually, she just turned to leave, and he just went around until he was facing her again and kept talking. We would go out to eat, and when our food came, he would start explaining the digestive system to the waitress, right down to the bacteria in the gut. It was cute when he was four.

Yes, that sounds exactly right.

Reactions: theddead

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Grade and high school were just mostly trauma for me. Shy to the extreme. Trouble focusing, daydreaming. Did not fit in anywhere. Read virtually every book in the library.
Hated school. Tech school was ok, not all the peer pressure and such and a subject of my choice, electronics.
Rated MENSA on iq tests, felt like a member of DENSA.

Reactions: theddead

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Grade and high school were just mostly trauma for me. Shy to the extreme. Trouble focusing, daydreaming. Did not fit in anywhere. Read virtually every book in the library. Hated school. Tech school was ok, not all the peer pressure and such and a subject of my choice, electronics.

I'm sorry it was awful. I'd ask you what you liked to read about in school, but since you read everything, maybe that already answers the question.

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I've been reading your thread. I'm not an Aspie, but rather a former teacher. I had quite a few students over the years I suspected had it. I guess I didn't realize Aspie's don't want to be social? They seemed to want to be social with me, but maybe more so than with other kids now that I think about it. Some of them weren't even my students, but would come talk to me before and after school.

Hello, this is theddead's wife. He was showing me this thread and I just had to reply to this post. I am also an adult aspie, and I currently work with children on the spectrum. I wanted to say your observation about aspie kids seeming to want to socialize with you much more than their own peers is likely correct. Young aspies tend to relate much better with adults who are able to adjust their relational style to accommodate the social needs of the aspie. Wheras their same age peers are more likely to target the young aspies for abuse and/or ostracism for being different. However, this tends to change once aspies reach adulthood, when other adults now expect them to act like normal grown ups, which

theddead

running with scissors since 1970
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
... few of us are able to do for long periods of time, if at all. However, we do seem to be magically granted the ability to suddenly get along wonderfully with 5 year-olds. Which is why I adore my job working with little kids on the spectrum so much.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I'm sorry it was awful. I'd ask you what you liked to read about in school, but since you read everything, maybe that already answers the question.
Ohh started with all the Scifi, then nature stuff, 1984, technical sciences, never understood poetry though... I actually read about 3/4 of all the books there. Knew the librarian well. And at the library in town as well.
I read very fast, very fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread