AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
From investopedia.com :
"These type of taxes are levied by governments to discourage individuals from partaking in such activities"

yep, sounds about right.

or in other words, a handy excuse to levy a heavy-handed tax.

Looks like they're reaping what they sowed -- they wanted to discourage us from smoking? Fine. We've quit. Now be off with your stupid sin tax, you've gouged me ENOUGH. Now go figure out how to RESPONSIBLY administer public finances.

Andria

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
But what's the official term? The legal term? I think "Sin Tax" was coined to criticize the tax, not the victims of the tax.
Ok, my best understanding - all "sin taxes" are excise taxes, but not all excise taxes are considered "sin taxes" (although all "hidden taxes" which is every excise tax I've ever encountered, should by all rights be considered a sin - my blood boils when I think of all the taxes I paid on taxes every time I bought a pack of smokes or a bottle of tequila, because the excise tax is hidden in the product price, and I paid sales tax on the entire product price, including the excise tax - how can I "buy a tax"??? aarrggghh)

Sorry, that was more of a rant than an explanation, but I hope it helped a little.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
But what's the official term? The legal term? I think "Sin Tax" was coined to criticize the tax, not the victims of the tax.
I've made a few attempts at finding info about how they came to be informally refered to as "sin taxes", but I haven't succeeded. Either way, I think it's a good idea to use that term. It highlights the hypocracy.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I've made a few attempts at finding info about how they came to be informally refered to as "sin taxes", but I haven't succeeded. Either way, I think it's a good idea to use that term. It highlights the hypocracy.
You're right... I cannot find the origin of the term either, but dictionary.com says it originated between 1970-1975 - I am not sure I believe that...

And I found an interesting article at Sin Taxes: Size, Growth, and Creation of the Sindustry | Mercatus that states "sin taxes" are argued to be counter-productive to society because they create a "sindustry"

Thank you for adding a new word to my vocabulary - "sindustry" LOL perfect!!

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
You're right... I cannot find the origin of the term either, but dictionary.com says it originated between 1970-1975 - I am not sure I believe that...

And I found an interesting article at Sin Taxes: Size, Growth, and Creation of the Sindustry | Mercatus that states "sin taxes" are argued to be counter-productive to society because they create a "sindustry"

Thank you for adding a new word to my vocabulary - "sindustry" LOL perfect!!
Great word! It's good to know that filling a think tank with petroleum money can produce such a gem! Defund the TC sindustry! Now!

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It may just be a guess, but I believe that the longer the FDA takes, the better the outcome will be for vaping.
i inclined to agree with you.
i think the news from England has them re-accessing
some aspects of the deeming regs and will buy more
time.
on the other hand they could just be stalling to
see what the states can get by with.
regards
mike

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
I don't see what the FDA can really do because the science is totally on the side of vaping from all I've read. You simply cannot make a rational argument that vaping itself is a danger. Because there are no chemicals in water vapor that are remotely dangerous. WHat the FDA may do & what my hunch is that they will do something with regards to e-liquids themselves, all the health goons seem to go back to that point, about "not knowing what's in ejuice", so I predict they will do something to require markings and indgredients on all ejuice, something like that, maybe banning "fruity" or "kid-friendly" flavors. Not sure, but I just don't think they will do much with regards to the act of vaping itself because again there is simply no evidence at ALL that vaping bothers anyone who doesn't vape, unlike with smoking regular cigarettes. So they'll probably issue a bunch of regulations regarding the juice, just to give the health nazis something. Who knows. I am optimistic that the longer it takes, the better the outcome may be.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
i inclined to agree with you.
i think the news from England has them re-accessing
some aspects of the deeming regs and will buy more
time.
on the other hand they could just be stalling to
see what the states can get by with.
regards
mike
They also could be stalling, waiting for a pharmaceutical company or two to come up with an e-cig, ready to pass the test as a smoking cessation medical device. That might buy us a lot of time before the deeming and a huge black market.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I don't see what the FDA can really do because the science is totally on the side of vaping from all I've read. You simply cannot make a rational argument that vaping itself is a danger. Because there are no chemicals in water vapor that are remotely dangerous. WHat the FDA may do & what my hunch is that they will do something with regards to e-liquids themselves, all the health goons seem to go back to that point, about "not knowing what's in ejuice", so I predict they will do something to require markings and indgredients on all ejuice, something like that, maybe banning "fruity" or "kid-friendly" flavors. Not sure, but I just don't think they will do much with regards to the act of vaping itself because again there is simply no evidence at ALL that vaping bothers anyone who doesn't vape, unlike with smoking regular cigarettes. So they'll probably issue a bunch of regulations regarding the juice, just to give the health nazis something. Who knows. I am optimistic that the longer it takes, the better the outcome may be.
In order to do that, they'd have to deem vaping as a tobacco product, which would force every product marketed after February 2007 off the market, leaving us with nothing legal but the most ancient, non-effective vaping technology.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
"I wouldn't mind your hanging boys, but the waiting takes so long.."

Seriously, every day we don't have regulations is a blessing; we get more vapers and more time to stock up.

And I keep dropping my nic level, too; so my 5 yrs' worth of nicotine has already gone up to about 7.5 yrs' worth of nicotine. Once I get to 5mg, that'll be 10 yrs' worth of nicotine. That should be sufficient to wait out whatever lawsuits will surely result if draconian regulations are put in place.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread