Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
View attachment 480288

Here's a pic that Seniorboy took. I haven't taken any pics of her in her new home. I will. She has settled right in to her new digs, and is getting along well with her siblings.

@rudy4653, as pretty as she looks in that picture....double it and that's what she really looks like. This is one gorgeous Woodvil.

eye-pop-out_o_GIFSoup_com.gif

wowzza!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Wow Jan, that is stunning. For not being purpleheart that is one that I totally flipped over. One of the prettiest ones put up I thought. I can only imagine what it actually looks like! So glad she's settling in her new home and gettin lots of love from her new mama!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Question about a new cherry 2915 woodvil I recieved yesterday.

Wondering if this wood normally feels dry? Feels really ruff to where it seems like it's drying out and needs oiling.

When I got it the seller put it in the priority bubble mailer blanket in a priority small flat rate box. When I pulled it out I could see the impressions from the bubbles outlined in oil. First thought was that it got warm in the box and the oil leached out into the bubble bag. I could wipe it clean with my hand.

Then I applied the howards wood cleaner to clean it off and then used Howards sun shield on it for a 30 min soak as instructed in the directions on the bottle. Cleaned it off after thst eith a micro cloth and it was still dry. I even noticed the wax soaking up in 10 mins.. I was thinking it must be really dry and soaked it up quick?

Then concerned I thought ok maybe it needs more oil so did a second treatment. Rubbed it off and baffled it's the same.. so late at night I was like screw it let's put some mineral oil on it and see if that will help. Let it soak for 15 mins and wipe and it seemed a hair better.

Now in the morning after its still dry.

Thinking that the way she is but seeing all the detail in the grain that got me all excited in the photos of the mod before... now there very faint to non exsitant.

The dark jatoba door is butter smooth.

Wondering if this needs an over night oil bath or something?

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
Question about a new cherry 2915 woodvil I recieved yesterday.

Wondering if this wood normally feels dry? Feels really ruff to where it seems like it's drying out and needs oiling.

When I got it the seller put it in the priority bubble mailer blanket in a priority small flat rate box. When I pulled it out I could see the impressions from the bubbles outlined in oil. First thought was that it got warm in the box and the oil leached out into the bubble bag. I could wipe it clean with my hand.

Then I applied the howards wood cleaner to clean it off and then used Howards sun shield on it for a 30 min soak as instructed in the directions on the bottle. Cleaned it off after thst eith a micro cloth and it was still dry. I even noticed the wax soaking up in 10 mins.. I was thinking it must be really dry and soaked it up quick?

Then concerned I thought ok maybe it needs more oil so did a second treatment. Rubbed it off and baffled it's the same.. so late at night I was like screw it let's put some mineral oil on it and see if that will help. Let it soak for 15 mins and wipe and it seemed a hair better.

Now in the morning after its still dry.

Thinking that the way she is but seeing all the detail in the grain that got me all excited in the photos of the mod before... now there very faint to non exsitant.

The dark jatoba door is butter smooth.

Wondering if this needs an over night oil bath or something?
soak in howards and let it sit overnight

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
@SteamStack The wood looks fine to me from your pic. If you use mineral oil and/or the Howards stuff regularly, your woody will be fine.
I think what you feel in your hand is just the natural state of the wood.
If you want the woody to feel smoother in your hand, you could give it a sanding with some fine grit. I'd use a sanding sponge or just some fine grit paper in your hand. I'd start with 220 or 320 grit and work your way up until it's as smooth as you want it to be. In case you don't know, be sure to sand in the direction of the grain, and clean off the wood before moving to the next grit. I wouldn't go higher than 400 grit myself, if you go too high, the wood won't take much oil and/or wax very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread