Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Goodness, you are certainly getting a lot of students, SandySu.

Good morning, Voltites.

The big BBQ is tomorrow.

The big push is on today to do the final touches to the yard clean up. I need to clean up the goat pen and move some branches so that Hubby can put up the badminton set. Poop patrol wouldn't hurt.

I need to look for some brackets I think I have around here so I can get the misters hung to the out

Then, making potato salad and carrot/apple/raisin salad this afternoon.

We will be having frozen corn on the cob, cukes, tomatoes and melons from the garden.

Hubby is cooking ribs and pulled pork.

The peeps are bringing macaroni and cheese, chili, coleslaw and desserts.

Should be delicious.

Tomorrow we will be doing set up. We got two new 2'x4' folding tables that are sturdy and made of plastic. We also have two card tables the same size. We figured the plastic tables can replace the card tables for camping since the card tables really don't appreciate getting wet.

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
Oh my goodness! I just found out.......

269347_original.jpg

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Uncle is always worth celebrating. IMHO

Good morning, Voltpeeps.

The big BBQ was a success. The food was awesome. Most of the people who said they were coming showed up. The weather was perfect. All that work to get the house and yard cleaned paid off:)

I'm going to the dentist today to get my crown put on my tooth. Yay, I will be glad to be done with that.

SandySu - I'm sorry horse leasing isn't working out for you but Tutoring is certainly keeping you busy!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
THANKS EVERYONE - For the belated Birthday wishes . . . :D

It was a joke. They ran out of people to pick on, so they picked Uncle! :laugh:

AND - Yes . . . It was a joke that went astray when I tried to play the "Guilt" card on "classwife" yesterday for missing mine when she asked whose birthday she missed . . . Then of course, as usual people got carried away . . .
shaking-head-sad-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think I found out later that his real birthday is on May 4th, my vaperversary. :)

YEP - It is the same day and why I do not mention it, especially given that all the Congratulations & attention should shine on "You" for accomplishing what Ya' have on that day - which was quitting smoking cigarettes ! ! !
5310iB705FF7F01817F78

Uncle is always worth celebrating. IMHO

Ah - NOW . . . THANKS ! ! !
blushing-1.gif

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Well, Uncle, the Happy Birthday still stands...either belated or very early depending on your viewpoint.

We finally had some watermelon tonight and it was great. I'm sitting here stuffed between dinner, with a really large salad, followed by about an eighth of about a twenty inch diameter melon. It was worth the wait and we gave half away to one of our neighbors due to lack of refrigerator space.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Hi, all. Lizzie, I'm glad your party was successful, with lots of great food.

All you folks who want to give away overflowing produce, I wish you lived near me!

I tutored today, including the new little girl.

First, the girl I've been tutoring and her older brother. I read them the beginning of The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling. After I read the section, I asked the kids to write about it. Did they like it or not? Do they want to hear more of the story? The boy wrote that he didn't like it. I think he was unhappy that the story moved too slowly. The girl liked it and said she wanted to hear what happened next. So I said I'd read it to her but not her brother. More & more they are separating what they like and don't like. The girl said that the book is big, and it would take a long time to read it all if I just did it once a week. I read aloud to them once a week, and the other 2 days, I have them read aloud to me. She wanted to speed things along by reading it aloud, too, other days, but I think the words will be too hard for her. Still, we'll give it a try next time and I'll let her decide if she'd rather struggle to hear the story more quickly or if she would rather have me read it to her once a week.

I did some usual work with the littlest one. He's getting better at writing, but he still strays from the guidelines.

Saturday, I took all 3 of them and their grandmother to the Trumansburg Fair. Unfortunately, Grandma didn't want to pay for more than one ride. Yes, they were expensive, but it's not every day the kids attend a fair like that. IMHO, she was being cheap at the expense of the kids' happiness. This meant that we viewed a few free things, like a juggling/acrobatics show and the petting zoo, and then the parade, the main feature of which was that many of the floats and cars tossed out candy that the kids could gather. The older boy collected it for his younger siblings, but he wasn't really into the fun of gathering it as the vehicles go by or getting the candy. I had told the kids there would be a demolition derby, which they were looking forward to, but then the schedule had monster trucks and it cost $7 a person to get in to see it, and no one wanted to spend that much without knowing what it might be. So after the parade, the older boy and the grandmother wanted to go home, even though the fireworks, which the girl wanted to see were a couple of hours away. So she was disappointed once again by her brother nixing staying till the fireworks. I felt really bad for her and said that, if her mom would allow it, I'd take just her to see some fireworks. So I found they would have fireworks at Cornell's Homecoming Weekend, but there's a rock show with laser light show before then, and I'm not sure she would go for that. How long would it last? Maybe 2 hours? And then, tonight, I read a local free paper that came in the mail, and there's a St. Anthony Festival in Seneca Falls, which is about an hour's drive away, but it'd do it if she wants. They mentioned "POP rides for $20" and I don't know what POP rides are. Are they all the rides on the midway? Just some? Would it be worth $20 for her? I emailed a group that seems to be sponsoring the fair and asked what POP rides are.

Then I drove down to the center of Ithaca for the new girl. She is very enthusiastic, and she speaks English very clearly, but she doesn't know a lot of words and grammar, so I think vocabulary and grammar will be the focus. These kids, not having been born speaking English, need more grammar than English-speaking kids because they don't learn it at their mother's knee.

I think it'll be fun teaching the new girl, who is about the age of the girl I've been tutoring.

Because the boy once again nixed what his little sister wanted, I'm beginning to think that he is doing it just to frustrate her. After all, he did once admit he hated her and couldn't wait till he was grown up and didn't have to live with her and put up with her anymore. I realize there is sibling rivalry, but this sounds extreme, and it worries me. I talked it over with Bill this weekend. He works for them and has known them for years. He said the kids' mom is beside herself over her mother-in-law, who I have seen, myself, is difficult. I don't want to burden her with the idea of her son's hostility to his sister. Bill thinks she doesn't know about it. I find that hard to believe, but their parents are so busy with their restaurant that maybe they are oblivious to their kids.

Anyway I want to give them a fun time when they go out with me, and Grandma made it boring, at least to the older boy. I also worry that he couldn't get into the spirit of the thing like the younger ones could. Is that 'cause he's 11 and getting more critical?

So then, I tutored the new girl, and after having trouble fining my way into their apartment, it went well. Her homework is to go on YouTube and learn the ABC song so she can more easily remember the sequence of the alphabet, which she knows fairly well already. We will work on verb tenses and vocabulary, I think.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
You are certainly busy! SandySu.

I don't know what you do with the sibling rivalry. Sometimes kids kind of grow out of it. You might remind him that family is always there for one another and treating the other members of the family with love and kindness is the best way to be sure the family [and by extension, themselves] will be happy and productive. Family is important and as the older brother, it is his obligation to help maintain family harmony.

Sounds like you have a career in tutoring:)

Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

We should work on picking some peppers and tomatoes today. Also, picking and freezing what is just about the last of the melons.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@SandySu . . .

"POP" = Pay One Price . . . "You" stand in line (which might be very long for the popular ones) and wait until it is "Your" turn . . . ;)

As for the Boy and Girl sibling rivalry and the Grandma . . . Although they are living in USA and trying to deal with "Our" cultural norms, have "You" considered how much where they are originally from and their Asian culture that are actually influencing these children's lives, especially having the grandmother living with them and her treatment/influence/encouragement to the children - specifically towards the First Born - "BOY". . . Then there is not only the cultural barriers and norms to consider, it is the attitude of all involved and getting the approval of the Grandma/Parents too . . . Just something to think about as things continue . . . ;)

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Thanks, Uncle! Now I know what POP means.

I've done my best to consider their culture, though I'm feeling my way along. I've thought about the "firstborn boy" thing, and that may be part of it, but still, he could be more charitable toward his sister. Everyone admires her so much, and she's so cute and smart that I think he feels like an also-ran. Also, this difficult grandmother we're all dealing with now is who raised him for his first few years. It seems the boys are sent off to China to live with the grandparents when they're babies, then return. They must feel as if they're rejected by their parents when this happens. How could they not? Then, when the older boy returned, there was his sister, a cute new baby who probably occupied a lot of his mother's attention. I don't think the girl was sent off to China. It must be a "privilege" reserved for the boys, since the little one was, though he lived with the other set of grandparents, who I think are nicer.

This present grandmother says often, in the kids' presence, how smart the girl is, and how lazy her big brother is. Very, very bad! Once she asked me to agree, and I said, "Both kids are very smart. They just have different learning styles." I refuse to get dragged in to comparing them, especially when they are sitting right there.

So you can see why there's jealousy. I think it's a really bad idea to give your baby to the grandparents for their first few years. I realize the parents are busy at the restaurant, and this frees them up to work, but if the grandparents lived here and took care of the baby, that might still give the child some continuity with his parents. And the younger boy came back with his grandparents and they lived here for about 6 months, so he did have more continuity. This grandmother took care of the kids, but they went home at the beginning of summer, and the other grandparents came. They are due to go home soon, and it won't be too soon for the poor mother, who is beside herself. Grandma thinks she's not feeding her children enough! They are all in good weight, and the older boy is even a bit plump, though not enough to be a problem. I wouldn't like to see him get any heavier, though. It's not healthy to be a fat child.

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
This grandmother took care of the kids, but they went home at the beginning of summer, and the other grandparents came. They are due to go home soon, and it won't be too soon for the poor mother, who is beside herself. Grandma thinks she's not feeding her children enough! They are all in good weight, and the older boy is even a bit plump, though not enough to be a problem. I wouldn't like to see him get any heavier, though. It's not healthy to be a fat child.
Hopefully things will settle down. Best to keep your opinions to yourself. Remember to praise them for doing good. Can you stagger your schedule, giving them separate sessions on separate days?

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Hopefully things will settle down. Best to keep your opinions to yourself. Remember to praise them for doing good. Can you stagger your schedule, giving them separate sessions on separate days?

I have to drive into Ithaca, so I don't want to go on separate days, but the kids do get individual lessons. It's only for the weekly reading I do aloud that I was combining them, but their tastes are getting so different that I'll do that separately, too. The older boy said he wants me to read Harry Potter to him. He tried reading it some months ago but bogged down. Maybe by now, he might be able to read some aloud to me, since I can be right there to explain what he doesn't understand. I should order the book, since we'll probably want to keep it for longer than the library will give us.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Has anyone heard of the Amazon Firestick? It is a thingy that you put in a portal in you TV and then your wireless router lets you use the Amazon Library of movies and TV shows and radio stations on your TV.

There is something called Prime Instant Video where you can get some movies and TV shows for free.

Has anyone used this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread